Timing belt

This is a discussion on Timing belt within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Picked up a 2002 wrx in December, well maintained pile of documentation. Owner assured timing better was done. I have ...

Timing belt

Picked up a 2002 wrx in December, well maintained pile of documentation. Owner assured timing better was done. I have asked for proof and he agreed to send it. Ok now the question.... Can I remove the drivers side Timing belt cover? It seems the easiest way to look at the belt and since he claimed it was done about 3k miles ago it should be easy to see??? Right. Did download a Subaru shop manual and it looks like I should not have any surprises. Do I need to consider anything before I remove it?

2002, 101k miles, black wagon,only turbo back COBB. Setting up a uppipe removal and EM as it was not done. Got this car for my son but I can't keep from driving it. Now looking for a wrw/sti for myself!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You won't be able to pull the cover off unless the drive belts are removed as well along with the crank pulley I believe. Although the driver side cover might have enough flex to kind of pull it back to see the belt. If what he claims is true you should see some slight wear on the belt but timing marks and/or brand but again..slightly scuffed

Just don't pull too hard as to break the cover

It looks like there are 3 pieces and the driver side is the first that comes off. Was thinking I could just remove that one only

I could be wrong, you may be able to take it straight off. It's worth a shot.
    Any idea if the water pump was do e with the belt as well?

That is the problem, while I mostly trust the previous owner he has been slow to provide proof. He was great with records that was missing. Anyone have ideas on how to look for water pump replacement ?

I'm pretty sure that you can just take off the one part of the timing belt cover that you're interested in removing. However, I bet that the marks on the belt wear off quickly, so you'd have to rotate the crankshaft to look for alignment of the cam gear marks (if the belt marks are still present, be weary that they move relative to the gears and a few engine rotations may be required to make them line up on the cam gears). When I changed my timing belt, none of the components looked particularly worn (90 kMi), so I cannot advise about how to tell the age of the water pump.
    David - '05 WRX

Note to self..... Look for a replacement sticker on underside of hood next time. Was done about 4k miles ago as claimed. Now on to uppipe and Dino tune.