05 WRX with an STi Turbo boost cutting at 5k when had on the throttle in 3rd gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 WRX with an STi Turbo boost cutting at 5k when had on the throttle in 3rd gear within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys im really new on this site and currently a new and proud owner of a subie. The only ...

Exclamation 05 WRX with an STi Turbo boost cutting at 5k when hard on the throttle in 3rd gear

Hi guys im really new on this site and currently a new and proud owner of a subie. The only thing is i have an issue i just bought the car a little over three weeks ago it has an sti turbo in it but everything else is stock intake exhaust everything except for moshimoto intercooler hoses the hard plast hose wasnt doing its job and blew off one too many times. anyways i notice when i am heavy on the throttle 1st and 2nd gear are strong and you can really feel the boost kick in but once i get into third right around 5k rpms my boost cuts almost like once it gets high up there in the psi it cuts and then ive gotta go into 4th but even then it will cut when the turbo gets back up there if im not boosting heavly and just driving everythings normal and how it should be but when i get on it thats what happens and it throws a check engine light and a code P0243 ethier that one or it was P0244 i dont know the exzact number but iknow it said "Turbo Waste Gate Solenoid" like i said im new here and to subarus i just neeed some guidance in what direction to head as far as iknow it has the stock tune on it for an 05 wrx with a WRX TURBO not the Turbo Thats On It now which looks exzaclty the same to the STi VF39 Model i just wana know what i should do if its a simple get a tune for it so computer is reading the right turbo psi can i wait until i do my catback exhaust if im just easy on it?
    Last edited by NYzWhiteBoYY; 01-20-2014 at 09:10 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like your hitting boost cut, reason you don't feel it in first and second is because you don't build enough to experience the boost spike, in 3rd you can build max boost and itlll begin to creep especially in cold weather. The old vf's have very small wastegates, only solution is to get a protune and external waste gate setup
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Quote Originally Posted by anpato View Post
    Sounds like your hitting boost cut, reason you don't feel it in first and second is because you don't build enough to experience the boost spike, in 3rd you can build max boost and itlll begin to creep especially in cold weather. The old vf's have very small wastegates, only solution is to get a protune and external waste gate setup

Ok i figured out there might not be a chance of it actually being the vf39 turbo i am going to snap a couple pictures and posting it on here to tell me what you guys think.

Well it would be the turbo since the waste is attached to the turbine housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Well it would be the turbo since the waste is attached to the turbine housing.

Ok.... now is it normal that it throws a code when boost cut happens? i believe the code is pd0244 or something like that.. i plugged my car into one of the check engine light readers and it said "turbo solenoid wastegate" the light goes away after a couple starts and it wont come back on unless i hit boost cut. and when i hit boost cut is that bad and could it harm my engine? i would like to wait if its possible to get the tune until after i get my exhaust to save a little extra money?

Its normal, but sometimes your wastegate solenoid could be going out. It could be harmful if your overboosting since the afr will lean out and cause pre detonation

2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

Its normal, but sometimes your wastegate solenoid could be going out. It could be harmful if your overboosting since the afr will lean out and cause pre detonation

ok now what exactly is the wastegate solenoid ? is that the whole assembly outside of the turbo ? and is it cheap to get it fixed or would i have to buy a whole new turbo

one more thing if i were to get a blow off valve would that cancel out the wastegate?

Here is a picture of the turbo that is on it now. if it is the stock wrx turbo i also read that it could be the vacuum lines were put back on wrong what do you guys think do they look like there right and does that look like a stock turbo? what else looks out of whack from what it should be besides the blue hoses i put those on.

Blow off valves dont do anything except release extra air from the throttle body, you could get the wastegate ported and polished or go external

2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

ok what do you mean go external.... and did you get a chance to take a look to see if everything in those pictures i posted were correct or if i even have an sti turbo

He means putting in an external wastegate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

yea i got that i just don't know what putting an external wastegate means im brand new to subaru and the boosting world completely.

When you go external you seal the turbos wastegate closed and have all the excess exhaust come out before the turbo, better boost control but it is quite loud

2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

Alright update it is the TD05H Turbo i dont know wether it is the 16g or 20 any diffrence in the route i should take?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast