Which WRX? Bugeye, Blobeye, Hawkeye?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which WRX? Bugeye, Blobeye, Hawkeye? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, so I am currently saving up for a WRX. Preferably a blob eye WRX (2004-2005) I am going ...

Which WRX? Bugeye, Blobeye, Hawkeye?

Hello everyone, so I am currently saving up for a WRX. Preferably a blob eye WRX (2004-2005)

I am going to college in September (don't know where yet) and I plan on purchasing it the summer after my Freshmen year.
    I have $1700 saved up as of right now. I plan on getting a job around May and working all summer, and working in college.
    How much do blobeye WRX's go for? I have seen like $9000 around Chicago, Illinois and that frustrates me because I might not have enough money.
    *On a side note, if anyone knows a great job opportunity for me, that would be great. I heard that Best Buy will pay me 9.50 an hour so I might work there.
    And which WRX is the best for my situation? Bugeye? Hawkeye? Etc?

I would love to own an STI but that is just way too far past my budget. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Part time jobs and college aren't a great mix, but I understand your first year you don't have any other employment choices. If I can add anything, it would be to stay away from grocery stores, you'd have to become a front end manager to get in the 9.50 area, which takes about 3 years lol. Bagger --> Cashier --> FEM. And they all suck lol. Look for jobs on campus i.e. parking office, the UC, an RA position. On-Campus jobs are the best option hands down for your first few semesters. Or later on after sophomore year if you get into a co-op rotation you'll have the money to purchase a decent model. I'd expect and older ones (bugeye, blobeye) with decent miles in good condition to be about 5-10k.

The cheaper options will all be fixer-uppers, so you better have some mechanical skills or learn quickly because September isn't far off, leaving you not very long to locate and fix a less than ideal specimen. Again, the first semester of college isn't the ideal time to be fixing a car...i know.

Also keep in mind they take premium fuel, oil, and are more expensive to ensure.

Good luck, hope you enjoy college.

definitely consider getting one way less than your budget so you'll have a cushion for maintenance and mods. with one 10 years old things are bound to need replacing in some way, so be prepared for that. also buying a used WRX mean you just bought that car from a previous WRX owner. meaning fast launches and huge cornering speeds. will not be a babied car.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Part time jobs and college aren't a great mix, but I understand your first year you don't have any other employment choices. If I can add anything, it would be to stay away from grocery stores, you'd have to become a front end manager to get in the 9.50 area, which takes about 3 years lol. Bagger --> Cashier --> FEM. And they all suck lol. Look for jobs on campus i.e. parking office, the UC, an RA position. On-Campus jobs are the best option hands down for your first few semesters. Or later on after sophomore year if you get into a co-op rotation you'll have the money to purchase a decent model. I'd expect and older ones (bugeye, blobeye) with decent miles in good condition to be about 5-10k.

The cheaper options will all be fixer-uppers, so you better have some mechanical skills or learn quickly because September isn't far off, leaving you not very long to locate and fix a less than ideal specimen. Again, the first semester of college isn't the ideal time to be fixing a car...i know.

Also keep in mind they take premium fuel, oil, and are more expensive to ensure.

Good luck, hope you enjoy college.

Hey thanks for the help! Really appreciate it.

Keep shopping. You'll come across some blob eye for $8,000-$10,000 range. I was full time school and part time job when I purchase my 2004 Blob eye rex. You should be able to handle it.
    04 Impreza Wrx

Prepare for insurance to butt-rape you at anything under 25 years old as well...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I'm 18 and my 2004 Blob Eye was 8000 Bucks, with a new engine. You can find one if you look for it long enough.

I Support ClubWRX
    Everyone's college experience is different..I did part time jobs for quite a while, but finally reached a point where I was taking 17 hours of senior year engineering courses, and had to drop the jobs to focus on that.
    My only point being, remember what you're there to do. Good luck.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

It's your money so you can do what you like but maybe consider a less expensive, non-turbo charged car to reliably get you around for the time being. School will put you in enough debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Prepare for insurance to butt-rape you at anything under 25 years old as well...
    You say that but I'm 21 and pay $217 a month for full coverage on my 2004 and she drives a 2013 civic.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Lol, $217/month for a 10 year old car is crazy. I'm paying around $65 a month for full coverage on my brand new '14 hatch...

I didn't explain it very well. It's $217 for BOTH my car and my wife's. I had a mazdaspeed protege when I was 18. My insurance alone was $280 a month so $217 for two is pretty cheap!
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twiget View Post
    Lol, $217/month for a 10 year old car is crazy. I'm paying around $65 a month for full coverage on my brand new '14 hatch...
    No such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Everyone's college experience is different..I did part time jobs for quite a while, but finally reached a point where I was taking 17 hours of senior year engineering courses, and had to drop the jobs to focus on that.
    My only point being, remember what you're there to do. Good luck.
    It's funny you say that because I am majoring in mechanical engineering. I probably want to get into automotive engineering. But I do think I will be loaded with a ton of work so not too sure. The reason I want a car is because the school that I might be going to is university of Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    No such thing.
    If you say so. Just dont tell my insurance company.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.