Looking to buy, need some advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking to buy, need some advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, New guy here and I have landed on wanting a mid-2000 or less wrx as a daily driver. ...

Looking to buy, need some advice

Hey everyone,

New guy here and I have landed on wanting a mid-2000 or less wrx as a daily driver. The reason I registered and posted is it seems like these are hard to find that haven't have the hell beat out of them. I looked at 2 of them today, both private sellers, one was a wagon and one a 4 door. Both were 2003 models. Both were much rougher than I had hoped, the wagon was a straight up basket case. It smelled horribly of fuel and would not stay running at all plus looked like it had been rolled down a mountain with how much body work it needed. The 4 door had body damage too but not as terrible as the wagon. It seemed to run ok but was just "rough" feeling if that makes sense. Maybe I'm use to other cars but when you are asking 7k for a vehicle with over 100K miles I expect it would be tip top, not the case with these. So I got to thinking maybe this is the market as I am totally new to it at this point. The guy with the 4 door though told me he really needed the money though and that he would take 4K, which I also though was strange that big of a decrease on the spot. Then I find out it is not titled in his name and yada yada....then it made sense. Anyway so was hoping you guys could educate me on how to find a clean, non abused wrx and what I should be paying and anything to look out for when buying a used wrx. I'm sure all these questions had been asked before so maybe someone has a link to some good info? Anyway I'd really like your opinions on the 2 I looked at today, is this normal or abnormal when looking at this type of car? Thanks for any help, it is appreciated. And I have to admit, even though they were both rough I still smiled my ass off driving them lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The cars you saw today are not worth discussing. One didn't run, the other wasn't owned by anyone you could find. From your perspective, neither car exists.

See:
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    and:
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist
    and:
    Purchasing Tips
    and post any questions to:
    Car Purchasing Forum
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The cars you saw today are not worth discussing. One didn't run, the other wasn't owned by anyone you could find. From your perspective, neither car exists.

See:
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    and:
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist
    and:
    Purchasing Tips
    and post any questions to:
    Car Purchasing Forum

Thanks for your repsonse, I'll definitely check out the links. As to your response, I agree on the one that didn't run right 100%. The other however he assures me he will get it worked out by tomorrow, so lets assume he does, I would be interested in it and hearing any advice you all would have on that car if you can provide any?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    The other however he assures me he will get it worked out by tomorrow,
    Have you ever tried to sell a car you do not own, immediately reducing the price to below market value, and assured a prospective buyer that it'll be sorted out by tomorrow? I've not.

The most helpful thing I can say is this: Again, I've not.

Read over the links. Those will tell you what to look for specifically, and what to ask for specifically in addition to a title. Assurances aren't on that list. A full service history with receipts is.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It certainly does seem difficult to find a clean example of a used GD WRX. They do exist (so I am told), so my advice is to be patient until you find the right one.
    David - '05 WRX

Make sure you ask the right questions! I made this mistake(buying a stage 2 without it being tuned) and I am spending quite a bit buying a tuner. Be very cautious when buying used.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Have you ever tried to sell a car you do not own, immediately reducing the price to below market value, and assured a prospective buyer that it'll be sorted out by tomorrow? I've not.

The most helpful thing I can say is this: Again, I've not.

Read over the links. Those will tell you what to look for specifically, and what to ask for specifically in addition to a title. Assurances aren't on that list. A full service history with receipts is.
    Ok thanks. I agree it is a longshot but hey maybe it will happen. Receipts are non existent unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    It certainly does seem difficult to find a clean example of a used GD WRX. They do exist (so I am told), so my advice is to be patient until you find the right one.
    Yes this is what I am thinking will probably happen most likely, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    Make sure you ask the right questions! I made this mistake(buying a stage 2 without it being tuned) and I am spending quite a bit buying a tuner. Be very cautious when buying used.
    Yes, I have owned lots of cars and bikes, some very expensive, and I've done it both ways, taking a chance and making sure it was all the boxes checked. I prefer the latter of course, however sometimes you can luck out if you are mechanical which I am. There was definitely a small oil look somewhere under the turbo on the car in question, I could smell it and then popped the hood and could see the smoke, so that is definitely an issue, could be a line or gasket or who knows?

I will sAy this is just a fun purchase to work on, it would be nice to turn into a daily driver though.

Patience is key. The goal is to find one with as little modification from stock as possible...which as the years pass, obviously gets harder as prices get lower, kids can afford them and they want to throw every mod at it possible and beat on it. Sad, I know.

But alas, the clean ones are still out there. You just have to be willing to wait and really dig deep. If you need a car urgently, a WRX may not be for you.

When I was searching for my last STI...I searched Autotrader, Cars.com, Vehix.com, local dealerships, etc. every single day until a month and a half later, I found the one that I wanted...an older gentleman single owner, zero mods, lower mileage for the year, all documentation, and a price I was happy with. The wait is 100% worth it for a car in much better condition.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.