New member- WRX right for me?

This is a discussion on New member- WRX right for me? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! I am finally getting my new car- was hoping to get some opinions on the WRX here since you ...

New member- WRX right for me?

Hello! I am finally getting my new car- was hoping to get some opinions on the WRX here since you all actually own and drive them.
    I drive a lot of dirt and gravel roads/driveways that are often washed out sometimes pretty badly. My Mazda3 hatchback is looking pretty beat up right now and I am going to do the kinder thing and find it a new home and get a more suitable car haha.
    Anyway, I was concerned about the ground clearance, the WRX does sit a little higher than my Mazda but not sure if it is high enough? I frequently scrape the underside of the Mazda.
    Also looking at Subaru because of its reputation for handling snow and bad weather really well- WRX just as good as the more "utility" cars (outback, forester etc)?
    Was thinking briefly about a Forester or Crosstrek but really dont want to give up having a zippy little hatchback.
    Opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I own a '99 Forester and love the hell out of it. I like the 1st and 2nd gen body styles, but lost interest after that.

Check out an XT ('03- '08), in which you could still get a manual with the turbo. Some folks on subaruforester.org might have an issue with you not calling their cars "zippy".

haha the Forester certainly sounds like it has some get up and go, I just really hesitate to going to (what seems to me) such a big vehicle. I have always had small cars and love them. Living in the country for the last year now though and needing something a little tougher than my city car. I will look into those years on the Forester, I am also not a big fan of the newer body style on them. Big thumbs up on the manual turbo. Having trouble finding manuals around here which sucks :-(

I Support ClubWRX
    Since the WRX comes with summers you will need all seasons at a minimum. It's not great for ground clearance though not terrible. Sure you don't want a small SUV?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

cant go wrong with a subi... especially since i just spanked a speed 3 today. i have never had any real clearance issues with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Since the WRX comes with summers you will need all seasons at a minimum. It's not great for ground clearance though not terrible. Sure you don't want a small SUV?
    Yeah, it sits about 1.5-2" higher than my Mazda3, which is an improvement and would probably be fine for about 90% of what I need to drive on. Occasionally I get to a new client's farm though and spot their "driveway" and scratch my head at how I'm going to make it in and out without damage. I will credit the mazda has handled it much better than I though it would but its not happy lol.
    The Forester would probably be ideal... I guess I'm just hoping for the WRX, always loved them! One of the very few modern cars I've liked. Might end up going with it yet. taking my boyfriend along for test drives wont help, he's all excited about the WRX too, he wants an STI but I know they sit lower so I'm not going that way.

Quote Originally Posted by njandy View Post
    cant go wrong with a subi... especially since i just spanked a speed 3 today. i have never had any real clearance issues with mine.
    ha, yeah my 3 is nicer than my other past cars but its none too spectacular. I'm thinking for most of the driving I'd do the bit of extra clearance in the WRX vs my Mazda would be sufficient.

If your car gets beat up, you may be upset about putting a few dings on a new car. As for driving a WRX in your conditions, as long as you take it easy, it shouldn't be a problem. It would probably be tons of fun. I just got through a massive blizzard with mine and then a long distance trip in an ice storm. I have never driven a car that weathers weather better than this.

Something with higher ground clearance may be a better idea for you, but it sounds like you would have more fun in the WRX. Just be careful on the gravel or dirt roads.

Being a previous Mazda 3 ( had the S touring sedan) owner, I have observed that it sits a little lower. The skirts could definitely scrape the ground with the terrain you mentioned.The Rex has a bit more clearance. However, considering your requirements I would definitely recommend the XT over a WRX. That thing has potential and lots of it. The below one seems to be a nice example.

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT, $11,900 - Cars.com
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,GW3 235 45 17,front plate delete - DRIVING WINTER MODE