New Member- from Cincinnati. WRX is my first quality car. What do I need to know?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Member- from Cincinnati. WRX is my first quality car. What do I need to know? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm Adam, just bought a 2004 WRX. 18ish Enkie Wheels, Magflow Exhaust. 111,000 Miles on the whole thing, ...

New Member- from Cincinnati. WRX is my first quality car. What do I need to know?

Hey guys, I'm Adam, just bought a 2004 WRX. 18ish Enkie Wheels, Magflow Exhaust. 111,000 Miles on the whole thing, new engine with only 11,000 miles on it.

What do I need to know about this car to make it last, outside basic care stuff such as regular oil/fluid changes, premium gas, etc. I'm 18 and am not going to be able to afford another vehicle anytime soon. Basically I want to give this car the best possible care, but I'm not avidly familiar with WRXs so I'm unsure how to proceed in the near future. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sell it a buy a Honda. Unless you like walking. Why was the engine replaced? That would be a red flag for me to walk away. If the engine went at 100k, what other abuse has the car had to endure?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I had the car checked out by a mechanic and he told me everything was in excellent condition, aside from a cracked CV boot and a coolant leak, both of which I'm having fixed. I am the third owner of the car- guy I bought it from took extremely good care of it and sold it because he needed a family sized car. I'm not sure why the engine was replaced. Aside from that everything is extremely solid.

Hey man, congrats on the car! Don't take anything drews says to heart or you wont be here long. haha You can just do some research on common problems and see what everyone has been through, there is a lot of good information on these forums and people to help you out.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Thanks dude! I really love it. I've been into performance cars since I was a little kid and the WRX is one rad car. Really looking forward to seeing how it performs long term.

I am in same boat you are, I'm 20 and have had everything from a 500hp cummins to 90hp d series honda. I've had a few quick cars but fell in love with the subie.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Well, the last thing I had was a 2002 Mazda MPV Minivan with a front bumper held on by duct tape, so I'd say this is a little bit of an improvement, haha. I used to drive my dad's BMW 525i a lot, until I was driving it with him and it got scraped by a bus at an intersection. Driver wasn't paying attention. Only ripped up the drivers side door panel really bad, and it wasn't my fault, and it got fixed- but I don't drive his car too much anymore haha.

I also test drove everything from an Audi A6 Quattro to a Chevy Sonic when looking for a car, and there's some weird magic about WRXs that I just loved. So I went with that haha.

I used to work for chevy, be glad you didn't go with a sonic lol

I really didn't like it. Was not fun to drive haha. I did enjoy the 2003 BMW 325xi that I tried out, the engine in that thing is supreme, and the steering feel is wonderful, but it wasn't nearly as nimble as the WRX. Almost went with that, though.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Man good luck. For one thing, I wish I had done all the work on my car myself, I just didn't have time in the beginning. I ended up paying for it greatly and now I make time for it lol.

Does the car have any mods?

Like you already said the most important thing is to stick with the service guide in the owner's manual.

These cars don't take to the driver being an idiot lightly. Transmission, diffs, etc., are all very particular, I learned how to "drive"...for real... by going to RallyX and AutoX. I though I knew driving until I started hanging out with those guys. As a young driver I would suggest attending several events and improving your driving skills. You'll also make friends and learn mechanic skills as well if you help out and work on everyone's cars.

There's a few other teenagers and college students on here, so you're not alone. Feel free to PM me anytime.

+1

Now that you mention it I haven't seen that one user who turned everything drews or others said into an argument post anything in a while!

The engine is all stock, thankfully. So is the transmission. The only engine related mod is a Magnaflow Exhaust. I intend on doing a lot of the work myself, though repairing a cracked CV boot might be a little bit out of my skill range.

Also I don't want to race it because I have heard that's bad for the engine and transmission longevity, plus I got an auto and that would leave me at a particular disadvantage haha. But I'd love to attend some stuff and get to know the community better... But I'm not really plugged in to the performance car community in my area, given that my last car was a freaking minivan haha. I have no idea where to start on that.
    Last edited by Hobbitrabbit; 01-07-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Look in the local/regional forums on here and NASIOC and you'll find a car club. Facebook too!

If you want it to last long, as far as the motor I would stay completely stock, or no more than a "stage 2" setup. Lord knows I won't do more engine mods until I have another "daily driver." Even though I commute on the bus everyday, I'd still like to go other places and not have my car fail, especially with my mileage lol.

Yeah, I have no intention of modding the engine. This car needs to get me through College at least- I'm a senior in High school at the mo. What does a stage 2 entail, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbitrabbit View Post
    Yeah, I have no intention of modding the engine. This car needs to get me through College at least- I'm a senior in High school at the mo. What does a stage 2 entail, out of curiosity?
    Usually a downpipe, cat-back and tune(accessport)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast