new member, mtn view CA area.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new member, mtn view CA area. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone I am looking to replace DD with a fun fast car that can do ski trip duty. So, ...

new member, mtn view CA area.

Hey everyone

I am looking to replace DD with a fun fast car that can do ski trip duty. So, something out of subaru's higher performance line up has been a top consideration.

Street performance in terms of what I am looking for means "fun" handling, decent braking and a good amount of punch, I know that to get it to pull like my sportbike is out of the question.(at least from a $ standpoint) But if it can give my supercharged tundra a run for its $ that would be fine. ( a 5000lb truck with 500+ HP, should about equal a 3000lb car with 300HP right? haha)I dont need racecar performance on the street anyway. I have learned that lesson a little bit having something that you can legally tap 10% of the potential out of and have to put up with track oriented ride and ergonomics can get tiring. (the aforementioned sport bike) So, Comfortable ride, It can certainly be firm, but I dont arrive at my destination 3 hours later worn out from a concrete freeway.

I am thinking used, and while I would love to spend $7500, Id say id be willing to spend 20-25k if it was worth it. Part of the idea is to have something I wouldn't need a therapy for every new door ding.

So, that puts me thinking looking for a used WRX (hatch maybe?)with a few tasteful modifications?
    I am also casually considering an 06-07 sti for the market value. (obviously not a hatchback option, thats fine)
    i am also considering an 08+ Sti hatchback, although I have heard the earlier STI's are more fun, although a bit more crude.

I have experience with high performance vehicles and have managed to do so with no tickets, so I think I should be able to responsibly drive the mentioned cars...knock on wood.

Its a bit hard to really determine what I like and or want out of the lot, so I am asking for input. I don't want to be "that guy" and go out tire kicking cars for sale. BUT I would like to get a tour and a ride in a few different cars at some point, I would be willing to buy a tank of gas as compensation. fair deal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For 25k you should be able to find something nice and very close to new.

For trips from the valley to Tahoe, I wouldn't get a used WRX or STI given what you are asking about for ride quality. I would go with the Outback or Forester with the larger motor option. I love the comfort of my GF's OB; it always seems so luxurious and comfy after driving my WRX around all week. Granted, the OB is a little under-powered with the 2.5 in it but it made a nice, wonderfully handling drive over Donner pass on 12/6--that was the snowstorm we had at the beginning of December.

Probably doesn't count as a 'fast car' though. But having had my WRX since the middle of July, I don't feel it's a 'fast car' either. Especially with all the high-end imports I see running around here.

Certainly worth considering. I suppose i should clarify the percentage of the duty being done, I am not placing plush and cozy at the top of the list, I just dont want to ride around in someones version of a race car for the street. I just don't have any personal gauge for how rough is rough with some of these cars. If they are really crude, i think I might shift my focus toward an R32 before looking at an OB or a forester. My mission here is not really true DD duty. I work out of state 6 months of the year and have a car on the other end for that, I have the truck, the bike and most of the time my girlfriend and I have somewhere to go, we take her ford escape. So this is really just another toy that can do occasional ski trip duty.

IMHO 11-14 WRX 5dr/hatch would be perfect for what you want it for. I used to ski quite a bit and the Impreza/ WRX 5drs are all over the place. For 2 people, a hatch and ski racks you will have plenty of room and power for all your gear. The WRX is cheaper and more comfortable than the Sti but just about as quick in stock form.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I say 11-14 WRX hatch as well for you.

What do you guys like about the current generation over the previous one? ie the 11 and newer?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.