test drive turned into...ownership
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on test drive turned into...ownership within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What's up! I've owned quite a few "fun" cars and the WRX and STI were two that I have always ...

test drive turned into...ownership

What's up! I've owned quite a few "fun" cars and the WRX and STI were two that I have always liked. I went to test drive a WRX to see if I would like it as compared to my Mazdaspeed 3. They are very similar however, I really like the AWD and the power band is very linear compared to the Mazda. Of course, reliability was another factor so, when I test drove it I felt at home right away. A few turns, couple of spirited runs through gears sold me. Of course, the car has the SPT exhaust which produces a very nice sound as well. I will probably look to having a tune done later down the road but for now, I want to add the intake and mudflaps. I am looking forward to having this car for a very long time so, again the reliability factor played a big part. While I have owned and driven a lot of cars, I have never owned an AWD car. Needless to say, I am happy to finally be in a WRX.

Some of my past cars of note that I previously owned:

97 supra which I built into a single turbo (722RWHP), 3000GT VR4, Minicooper S, 370Z, GT500, and a 2013 Mazdaspeed3.

What's funny is that my wife ordered a 2014 STI so, when I bought mine yesterday...she gave me a little grief!

Happy New Year!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Intake needs to be tuned for, just leave it for now... Maybe do something about the body roll...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

^^^ As said above, if you get the intake, you'll need a tune.

Go for cobb stage 1 tune, first. Then you can tune all other mods, including the intake, with cobb plug and play tunes.

welcome and crazy story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Intake needs to be tuned for, just leave it for now... Maybe do something about the body roll...
    Yup you will need to tune for an intake believe it or not. I agree on working on some suspension. You will want to after you drive your wife's STi

Welcome!

Oh yeah...PICs of the previous cars please!

Thanks! I will hold off on the intake until I get an access port unless something else is recommended. I have a 7 year warranty, does the cobb create any issues with that or is the reflash back to stock usually ok? I know some car makers inspect the ecu closer than others. Is there a factory tune for the SPT intake?

Well, it snowed tonight and the car was very impressive, did not move around at all. As far as my former cars, I will compile some pictures, I have a few stored away. So far, the WRX is quickly becoming a favorite, I can tell that me and this car will get along well.

Thanks for the welcomes! I look forward to meeting and learning more!
    Last edited by chris410; 01-02-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Flashing back to stock isn't always necessary. Nothing you install technically voids your warranty they can just deny your claim. For instance, you install a cobb intake and Stage 1 on the AP all of a sudden your power windows stop working. Well the intake and accessport have nothing to do with the power windows. Now if you go stage 1 with an intake and while installing the intake you dont tighten a bolt all the way and it blows up your motor, your request would most likely be denied.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread

Thanks! I will look into the tune/intake after the first oil change so that the motor has time to break in a bit. Thanks for the info Chief, I can tell you that I am very meticulous when it comes to modding so, I tend to triple check everything twice! (yes...twice) I modded all my previlus cars including the single turbo build on the Supra. Although, the tuning has changed quite a bit so,I would be looking for a reputable tuner in the N. VA area to tune the AP. any recommendations?
    Last edited by chris410; 01-02-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

Welcome to WRX wonderland. STi rear sway is like 100 bucks at dealer and bolts right in. I'm doing that this spring for sure on my 2013 hatch. Cheap and it's still OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb_WRX View Post
    Welcome to WRX wonderland. STi rear sway is like 100 bucks at dealer and bolts right in. I'm doing that this spring for sure on my 2013 hatch. Cheap and it's still OEM.

I will definintely look into this, learning more and more each day! Thank you for this info!
    Chris

I have a question, is the Cobb AP stage 1 and Cobb intake worth the price? Does the stage 1 tune make a big difference over stock? Also, has anyone run into any issues running the stage 1 tune with warranty? I believe I can flash the ECU back to stock should something go wrong.

The main reason I ask is that as is, the car drives very nicely. However, I came from a Mazdaspeed3 where I had a hypertech tuner which made a HUGE difference.

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Welcome, congrats, blah blah blah......pics of built supra or gtfo.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Welcome, congrats, blah blah blah......pics of built supra or gtfo.
    Ok ok...here is the dyno graph (uncorrected on pump gas / low boost * 19psi *) I tuned it myself using only an SFC/VPC combo.

http://www.angelfire.com/ab/teamdevious/dyno.html

Here are some pictures:

Chris's 1997 T-78 Single Turbo Supra
    Chris

That Supra is NASTY!!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_WRX View Post
    That Supra is NASTY!!
    Yeah...she was a lot of fun! On high boost, it made 722RWHP (30psi) and it pulled pretty nicely! The best part was taking people for rides, the reactions were priceless...wish I had videos like the ones on youtube.
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast