test drive turned into...ownership - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on test drive turned into...ownership within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by chris410 "fishy" not sure what you are trying to say so I will leave your comment at ...

Quote Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
    "fishy" not sure what you are trying to say so I will leave your comment at that. I am not concerned about the turbo however, when I read that something as simple as an intake requires a tune, I think the smart thing to do is gather insight before performing any mods.
    Just figured you'd know your way around a boosted car, or tuning, since owning something like that.
    Not trying to start any E-Drama, just curious.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post
    Just figured you'd know your way around a boosted car, or tuning, since owning something like that.

This engine is completely different than the 2JZ-GTE 3.0 I-6 that was in my Supra. Also, I did the same thing when I bought my Supra, I did not simply blindly mod. Lastly, the Supra was a speed density system so tuning that car was a lot easier and dyno time was MUCH cheaper as well, with the ECU tuners that are out now, tuning is quite a bit different and far more complex. I understand turbo cars however, each motor handles power differently so it comes down to not only what the turbo can handle (which depends on the type/size of the turbo) but what the fuel can support, how the ECU reacts to mods, transmission power limitations, etc...etc...

I see where you are coming from but turbo cars tend to vary quite a bit even though the basic components are the same ie...turbo/IC/intake/exhaust...actuators, boost controller/wastegate...etc... Some cars will let you get away with a lot while others have very little tolerance for mods (example...installing an intake without a tune) This is the first car I have ever owned that requires a tune for an intake yet, had I not done my research I could have potentially caused myself a lot of issues! I have owned a lot of cars and modified nearly all of them so, one thing I have learned is to know the car before modding! :-) All good!
    Last edited by chris410; 01-13-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

Chris....Congrats!!

I've had mine about a year now, and like you I was concerned about warenty issues and the accessport. After doing a lot of research, I decided to get the accessport, start with the Cobb 91 Octane tune, and then have it dialed in by an E-Tune. It is not as comprehensive as getting a ground up tune, but it does suit a daily driver quite well. I went with the 91 octane tune as a base just to play it safe.

I'm putting down 240 hp / 254 tq at the wheels on a dyno dynamics dyno.

The Cobb stage 1 smothes out the power delivery. When WOT there were a couple of spots (for lack of better discription) that hicup'd as you would pull through a gear. Thats probably the most noticable gain of going with a stage 1 tune. Just smoothes things out some. With the V3, you also have up to 6 gauges you can monitor as you drive. Mine stays in the car, and I use it everyday.

Not sure where in N. VA you are, but PTuning in Manassas has done work for me both on my S2000 and this WRX. They do good work, and their tuner would be good to talk to and maybe ask some questions.

Take care

Red
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Thanks! A friend of mine recommended Mach V...I will look into PTuning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    Chris....Congrats!!

I've had mine about a year now, and like you I was concerned about warenty issues and the accessport. After doing a lot of research, I decided to get the accessport, start with the Cobb 91 Octane tune, and then have it dialed in by an E-Tune. It is not as comprehensive as getting a ground up tune, but it does suit a daily driver quite well. I went with the 91 octane tune as a base just to play it safe.

I'm putting down 240 hp / 254 tq at the wheels on a dyno dynamics dyno.

The Cobb stage 1 smothes out the power delivery. When WOT there were a couple of spots (for lack of better discription) that hicup'd as you would pull through a gear. Thats probably the most noticable gain of going with a stage 1 tune. Just smoothes things out some. With the V3, you also have up to 6 gauges you can monitor as you drive. Mine stays in the car, and I use it everyday.

Not sure where in N. VA you are, but PTuning in Manassas has done work for me both on my S2000 and this WRX. They do good work, and their tuner would be good to talk to and maybe ask some questions.

Take care

Red
    Chris

Thanks! A friend of mine recommended Mach V...I will look into PTuning as well.
    PTuning. Do It.

They made great power with their FR-S/BRZ Turbo Kit. Albeit a different engine, they know their way around Subarus.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post

Yeah, you're kind of grasping at straws there - he posted pics and dyno of the supra. The WRX is a specific platform with specific tuning options. While the concepts remain the same the control strategy is different. Trying to throw a bunch of supra knowledge at a WRX is going to end badly. Unless you are a professional tuner, you aren't going to just be able to jump between an Evo and a WRX even and know what you are doing.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

You nailed it, I have worked on a lot of cars and have learned that each one requires a specific way of building them. At this point, I want to learn as much as I can before doing anything. Also, I am no aiming to build my car into a race car so, I am only looking at a few mods which are possibly the Cobb stage 1 tune and an intake. My car came with the SPT catback which I like.

He did respond and explain his comment so, it's all good! I get the similar response when I ride my motorcycle on the street. I raced CCS for several years but am very relaxed on the street as opposed to when I ride on the track, two different worlds! Cars are the same way, you have to learn each one otherwise, you could easily blow a motor, I have seen people do it before.

Again, thanks everyone for the insight! I hope there are some N. Va meets so that I can meet some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yeah, you're kind of grasping at straws there - he posted pics and dyno of the supra. The WRX is a specific platform with specific tuning options. While the concepts remain the same the control strategy is different. Trying to throw a bunch of supra knowledge at a WRX is going to end badly. Unless you are a professional tuner, you aren't going to just be able to jump between an Evo and a WRX even and know what you are doing.
    Chris

Well, my wife picked up her '14 STi on Saturday, it was not supposed to arrive until Friday the 24th so it was a nice surprise. It is a definite difference between my car and the STi, the STi feels quite a bit more stable and holy bat sh*t does it corner nicely! Although, I will say that the WRX is nothing short of exceptional itself. The power is noticeable however, it is not necessarily a huge difference. I do like the shifter on the STi so, I will be upgrading my WRX to the short shifter in the near future. Hers is the sedan so, I will try to post up a picture once the snow is cleared out and I clean up both cars.

Now, many of you are wondering why she has the STi and I have the WRX. Mine is a hatch and I needed a car with decent gas mileage as I do a lot of driving in the summer since I downhill mountain bike. Also, the dealer did not have any STi hatches so, I am happy with my car and the slightly better gas mileage will help when I go on my trips. I will say she absolutely loves the car, we met racing (she had a Supra as well) so, she can certainly drive! Last but not least, her is the grey color and is the sedan.
    Last edited by chris410; 01-24-2014 at 05:11 AM.
    Chris

A coupe? And you have the hatch?
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    A coupe? And you have the hatch?
    Yes ... I meant sedan!
    Chris

Yes ... I meant sedan!
    I wanted the hatch too
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb_WRX View Post
    Welcome to WRX wonderland. STi rear sway is like 100 bucks at dealer and bolts right in. I'm doing that this spring for sure on my 2013 hatch. Cheap and it's still OEM.
    I am going to order this in the spring, any recommendations for the front?
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.