test drive turned into...ownership - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on test drive turned into...ownership within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by chris410 I have a question, is the Cobb AP stage 1 and Cobb intake worth the price? ...

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
    I have a question, is the Cobb AP stage 1 and Cobb intake worth the price? Does the stage 1 tune make a big difference over stock? Also, has anyone run into any issues running the stage 1 tune with warranty? I believe I can flash the ECU back to stock should something go wrong.

The main reason I ask is that as is, the car drives very nicely. However, I came from a Mazdaspeed3 where I had a hypertech tuner which made a HUGE difference.

Thanks in advance!
    The Cobb Stage 1 tune (which I'm running for 2 years now without incident) evens out the powerband a great deal over the stock tune. It claims to add horsepower, and likely does, but don't expect the more obvious gains of a Stage 2 tune. Stage 1 can still get you a denial for service if your dealer wants to pursue it - a lot of it depends on your dealer and the issue. Cobb tunes are mild and not likely to cause an issue. The more you mod the larger the chances are the dealer can start getting picky.

As for handling - I know the car leans more than some like, but don't be fooled - it still grips quite well in stock form. Decide for yourself how you like the ride versus handling equation and mod (or not) accordingly.

Congrats on the car, enjoy her ...
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
    I have a question, is the Cobb AP stage 1 and Cobb intake worth the price? Does the stage 1 tune make a big difference over stock? Also, has anyone run into any issues running the stage 1 tune with warranty? I believe I can flash the ECU back to stock should something go wrong.

The main reason I ask is that as is, the car drives very nicely. However, I came from a Mazdaspeed3 where I had a hypertech tuner which made a HUGE difference.

Thanks in advance!
    I would skip the intake and do a downpipe and stage 2 if you want any real gains. Or just go with a stage 1 if you want to avoid warranty hassle and reflash back to stock when you take it into the dealer. That said, dealers can tell if you reflash the ECU. Easiest way is that an ECU reflash logs how many miles you have driven. And there are other methods, but if your car is relatively stock then you should not have too many problems unless they suspect you really abused the car. But once you start adding intakes, ECU flash, exhaust, etc the likelihood of getting your warranty denied by SOA goes way up.

My only mod for now outside of the dealer installed OEM short shifter is going to be an STi rear sway bar installed by Subie. I want to keep it this way for another year or so and then decide I want to go with the Cobb Accessport and a downpipe+stage 2. You can look at the dyno charts at the Cobb website for Subie owners who have installed Stage 1 with intake and Stage 2 with downpipe. For the money the Stage2 + downpipe shows some big gains for not much money (about $1K including the Accessport).

I would recommend a downpipe and a tune. You will get huge gains.

I wouldn't say huge gains off of a down pipe. I would say a significant gain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Looking at some numbers in the Cobb database it looks like a gain of about 40hp and 50ft lbs tq with a downpipe + Stage2 tune and a safe 16psi of boost. Of course this is WHP, so for about $1K a WRX can make as much or more power than a stock STi at the wheels.

After looking over logs, I think I am going to stick with how the car is. I like the gains with the Cobb Stage I however, I am not sure I want to risk my warranty for 10WHP. That is a nice increase however, my car seems to run nicely as is.

For now, I am going to have it tinted and then get the mud flaps + short shifter.
    Last edited by chris410; 01-10-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

I am loving this car more and more each time I drive it. Call me crazy but I swear it feels a little more responsive as well.

I am hoping this weekend I will finally get a chance to wash and then apply a few layers of liquid glass. After I bought the car it snowed and has been raining and the temps were too cold to wash. This weekend finally looks like I will have a chance to give the car some attention.
    Chris

If you are willing to put a cobb intake + stage 1 tune, there is no reason not to go entry level stage 2. personally I would suggest a 3 inch turbo back exhaust + post maf hose & intake. Then get a reputable pro tune. The gains are well worth it. On my 07 sti I am pushing 298awhp on a mustang dyno. APS CAI & invidia bellmouth into hks carbon ti exhaust. Protuned @ 19psi. Very significant gains. While the stage 2 gains on the wrx are not as significant , they are certainly worth it. My sti was the first year of the crap tune that resulted in blown ringlands. I only ran the stock tune for 800 miles. I have been protuned ever since with zero issues !

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

700whp Supra, but all these turbo concerns.. seems fishy.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.

I should add I am running the 65mm APS CAi. Tuned by Mike @ GST Motorsports In Hayward. Worth every penny.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When I had my ralliart I had a GST tune uploaded from the tactrix. I didn't know he was involved in the Subie world too. I will have to see what he offers. I hear the Stage 1 Torque Performance tune is really great too.

Thanks for all the insight. So far, the car seems fine as is so I plan on driving my friend's WRX (2012) which has a Cobb intake/stage I tune to see if that is the route I want to go VS stock. So far, I like the way the car drives where my Mazdaspeed was in serious need of a tune since the power was extremely peaky.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post
    700whp Supra, but all these turbo concerns.. seems fishy.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.
    "fishy" not sure what you are trying to say so I will leave your comment at that. I am not concerned about the turbo however, when I read that something as simple as an intake requires a tune, I think the smart thing to do is gather insight before performing any mods.
    Last edited by chris410; 01-13-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    Chris

^ well, you got that right. These cars seem a bit touchy. But then again, there's a load of potential. My 09 had a larger turbo and FMIC, DP, TP tune and runs fine, probably about 30k mls on it with the tune...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    ^ well, you got that right. These cars seem a bit touchy. But then again, there's a load of potential. My 09 had a larger turbo and FMIC, DP, TP tune and runs fine, probably about 30k mls on it with the tune...
    I agree 100% which is why I would like to learn more before doing anything. I am impressed with how nicely the car runs even with the OEM tune. I am only at 700 miles but the MPG and response seem to have improved already, first two tanks were only getting 18mpg. So far, on this fill I am seeing 23mph which is the highest I have seen so far on my drive to work. I not know for sure however, the car seems to be responding a little better as well. I wonder if the first 500 miles if the factory tune is set to run rich in order to break in the motor. I know some cars run a particular set of parameters during break in. That being said, I have no data to back that up so, it is nothing more than an observation at this point.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.