Bye bye BRZ, hello WRX! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45

This is a discussion on Bye bye BRZ, hello WRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by thill Just to be clear I am not paying 0 for the sway bar. I am paying ...

  1. #31
    Registered User velociraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Grand Ledge, MI
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    Just to be clear I am not paying $120 for the sway bar. I am paying less than $100. I am paying $100-120 for the labor. I actually have no problem installing it myself but I have read too many horror stories about Subaru dealers denying warranty work for non-dealer installed parts and aftermarket parts. I confirmed with the Subaru dealer that a genuine Subaru part will not impact any warranty claims on the suspension if it is installed by the dealer. If I install it myself or another third party installs, it, then Subaru could deny any warranty work on my suspension if they feel the sway bar contributed to the problem. I know of one WRX STi owner locally that was denied a warranty repair on his engine because he flashed it.

    Not worth it to me for $100, and working outside in Jan-Mar in Minnesota just sucks. I will let someone else do it it is going to be -50 here on Monday...
    Glad you are liking the "hot" hatch.I am also a new owner, looking for wheels and sways this spring. I'd say if you can push the winter with the stock setup, you can buy the STi sways and install it summer time. Saves $$ and stay warm during winter. However, if you plan to install, do front and rear at the same time,probably make a huge difference and reduce some roll too. I read through forums and whiteline seems to be the best bang for buck but I see the warranty concern.

    Let me know how it goes anyways.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    Glad you are liking the "hot" hatch.I am also a new owner, looking for wheels and sways this spring. I'd say if you can push the winter with the stock setup, you can buy the STi sways and install it summer time. Saves $$ and stay warm during winter. However, if you plan to install, do front and rear at the same time,probably make a huge difference and reduce some roll too. I read through forums and whiteline seems to be the best bang for buck but I see the warranty concern.

    Let me know how it goes anyways.
    I thought about upgrading the front sway bars, but around 2012 or so they gave the WRX the same 22mm front sway bars as the STi. The stock rear in our car is only 16mm so it sounds like upgrading the rear sway bar gives the most bang for the buck. I have read through the forums and it sounds like 22mm up front and 19mm in the back matches the STi and is a good starting point, as I don't want to introduce oversteer either. I also want to get an alignment to adjust some of the camber which should help, and I think the alignment and rear sway bar will be a good place to start and then I can go from there if I want to be more aggressive with larger front sway bar, better tires, etc. I also want to tint the windows but will wait until spring or early summer for that.

    I also need to figure out the sound system. The audio quality in this car is pretty bad, and I have some JL audio speakers from my last car that will fit this one, but the headunit needs to get updated first.

    Congrats on your new car!

  4. #33
    Registered User Chief_WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    368
    Here this will make is sound better! Also the radio sucks use bluetooth or an aux cord to your music device and it will sound better!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3wD...e_gdata_player

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

  5. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    93
    I just followed the youtube link Chief posted and it did make a difference, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_WRX View Post
    Here this will make is sound better! Also the radio sucks use bluetooth or an aux cord to your music device and it will sound better!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3wD...e_gdata_player

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

  6. #35
    Registered User velociraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Grand Ledge, MI
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    I thought about upgrading the front sway bars, but around 2012 or so they gave the WRX the same 22mm front sway bars as the STi. The stock rear in our car is only 16mm so it sounds like upgrading the rear sway bar gives the most bang for the buck. I have read through the forums and it sounds like 22mm up front and 19mm in the back matches the STi and is a good starting point, as I don't want to introduce oversteer either. I also want to get an alignment to adjust some of the camber which should help, and I think the alignment and rear sway bar will be a good place to start and then I can go from there if I want to be more aggressive with larger front sway bar, better tires, etc. I also want to tint the windows but will wait until spring or early summer for that.

    I also need to figure out the sound system. The audio quality in this car is pretty bad, and I have some JL audio speakers from my last car that will fit this one, but the headunit needs to get updated first.

    Congrats on your new car!
    Thank you. I see that you live in the north. A set of RA mudflaps is an immediate requirement for you. They might give the car a boy race look, but boy they are one heck of a protection for the car. All that grime and slush wont stick to your skirt and your car will thank you for that. I live in MI and bought it and its one of the best investments I made. I know they are expensive ($160 for a set) but they are definitely worth it. You won't be disappointed.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

  7. #36
    Registered User King Cobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    Did you buy a WRX as well? Also love the picture, I am ex Army.
    yes i did i got 14 wrb hatch, thanks man just one of the few deployment pics i had laying around.
    Last edited by King Cobra; 01-05-2014 at 09:39 PM.

  8. #37
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,970
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome aboard!
    I'm a family guy as well...when my daughters were in booster seats, there's no way that the BRZ would have cut it. Two WRX's that I've owned have worked out quite well. Now I have the ideal situation, where I have my old WRX wagon for family duty, and the BRZ as a 3rd car, primarily for fun, or when I know that I won't be transporting more than one other person. I can get kids back there in a pinch, though, and that's one more factor that sold me on that car versus a used Cayman.

    I will always <3 my WRX, but the handling in the BRZ is in a whole different category. In the end, both cars shine in their respective niches!

    Best of luck!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  9. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    I'm a family guy as well...when my daughters were in booster seats, there's no way that the BRZ would have cut it. Two WRX's that I've owned have worked out quite well. Now I have the ideal situation, where I have my old WRX wagon for family duty, and the BRZ as a 3rd car, primarily for fun, or when I know that I won't be transporting more than one other person. I can get kids back there in a pinch, though, and that's one more factor that sold me on that car versus a used Cayman.

    I will always <3 my WRX, but the handling in the BRZ is in a whole different category. In the end, both cars shine in their respective niches!

    Best of luck!
    You are 100% spot on. To say I don't miss the BRZ handling and RWD fun would be a lie. I do. My wife has pretty much given me the green light to pickup a third used fun car after the WRX is paid off (should be in 24-28 months). So I am hoping to find a used BRZ/FR-S, S2K, or Miata that can be had as my weekend fun car. I have always wanted an S2K, so this might be the change if I can find one that is does not need a lot of work.

    Thank you, and you really do have the best of both worlds!

  10. #39
    Registered User xFalleNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    4,033
    tl;dr


    Welcome and grats on the WRX.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

    Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

    Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

  11. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Next up is the audio system for me since I often spend 2 hours in my car 4 days a week or more. The audio quality from this system is pretty bad, and one of the worst I have ever owned. My car came with the OEM under the front seat subwoofer and it is pretty useless from what I can tell. I did access the hidden menu and set the EQ to Throughput and toggled the loudness on and off. It helped, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

    I stumbled across this:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...868738365.html

    Per NASIOC this head unit is stock in the Forester and offers a larger screen (4.5") yet still retains all the OEM steering wheel controls with no adapters, you can keep the current BlueTooth mic, it supports the USB port in the armrest, it takes about 5 minutes to install, and offers a plug in for a backup camera as well as fitting perfectly and looking OEM. User reviews seem to indicated BT streaming and USB sounds better and FM is slightly better. Seems worth it for $120

    I don't expect this head unit will help much over what I have now in terms of audio quality but I like the OEM look and larger screen. I already have a set of component JL Audio C5-650 speakers (tweeters, 6.5" woofers, and crossovers) that I scored on a deal for my BRZ that I never used so they will go in this car (and they fit).

    To power them I am going to go with a decent 4 channel sub that will allow me to add a better subwoofer down the road. I will install the headunit myself, but will use a local audio shop I have done business with to install the speakers and amp.

    Total cost should be right around $500 for the amp, headunit and install of the speakers and amp. I may add a sound processor down the road after a better sub, but this should be a big upgrade.

  12. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    My insurance went down $7 a month on the WRX vs the BRZ. Helps pay for the gas difference

    I am surprised at how cheap this car is to insure. Paying about $47 per month.

  13. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Man has it been cold here in Minnesota

    Couple updates. I have the Cobb shift knob installed and really like it. It has really improved the feel of the 5-speed with the short shifter as well.

    I was thinking radio next, but I had called Turn In Concepts and spoke to a very knowledgeable gentleman there who has owned a BRZ and many WRX's. This helped a ton as he really understood what I was coming from (BRZ handling) and how best to setup the WRX as a more neutral handling car (reducing understeer). We talked about an upgrade path and here is what he recommended:

    - 22" adjustable sway bars for both the front and 22" adjustable sway bars for the rear. Based on his experience this will tame some of the understeer and also help with body roll. He also recommended replacing the stock end links with aftermarket as well.

    After that mod, I am going to drive the car for awhile and see how I like it. The next mod after that he recommended is the regular car springs and then a performance alignment. Based on his experience he told me those three mods will offer the biggest bang for the buck and the sway bars and springs will come in under $1K.

    So this will be my suspension upgrade path. I am going to wait until spring when I put the summer tires back on and we are done with all this salt. But, based on his experience with the WRX and BRZ, he told me this should really get me closer to what I used to have in the BRZ and will be a big step up in terms of handling.

    Really impressed with that vendor and he seemed really willing to work with me and really listened to what I wanted as far as a suspension setup.

  14. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Man has it been cold here in Minnesota

    Couple updates. I have the Cobb shift knob installed and really like it. It has really improved the feel of the 5-speed with the short shifter as well.

    I was thinking radio next, but I called Turn In Concepts and spoke to a very knowledgeable gentleman there who has owned a BRZ and many WRX's. This helped a ton as he really understood what I was coming from (BRZ handling) and how best to setup the WRX as a more neutral handling car (reducing understeer). We talked about an upgrade path and here is what he recommended:

    - 22" adjustable sway bars for both the front and 22" adjustable sway bars for the rear. Based on his experience this will tame some of the understeer and also help with body roll. He also recommended replacing the stock end links with aftermarket as well.

    After that mod, I am going to drive the car for awhile and see how I like it. The next mod after that he recommended is the regular guy springs and then a performance alignment. Based on his experience he told me those three mods will offer the biggest bang for the buck and the sway bars and springs will come in under $1K.

    So this will be my suspension upgrade path. I am going to wait until spring when I put the summer tires back on and we are done with all this salt. But, based on his experience with the WRX and BRZ, he told me this should really get me closer to what I used to have in the BRZ and will be a big step up in terms of handling.

    Really impressed with that vendor and he seemed really willing to work with me and really listened to what I wanted as far as a suspension setup.

    Will post my thoughts as I go.

  15. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    10000 Lakes
    Posts
    205
    What year Rex?

  16. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by silver03 View Post
    What year Rex?
    2014

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •