Bye bye BRZ, hello WRX! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bye bye BRZ, hello WRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Welcome to the forum & congrats....

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum & congrats.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I found out that dealers wont budge from the MSRP if they know what you want. Since you wanted the hatchback it was a for sure sale. My mistake was rushing in getting WRX. But I learn from my mistakes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to clubWRX! It sounds like you are quite satisfied with your trade.

Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    But overall, I like it. It is not the BRZ. You are not going to rotate the back end out with AWD.
    Yes you can. My 2002 WRX wagon came with 15mm rear sway bar. I swapped for the sedan's 17mm, then an aftermarket 19mm, and finally a 22mm, all with the stock front sway. That, along with wagon specific lowering springs and tire pressure management gave the car a very slightly tail-happy attitude for autocross. Quite a bit better than the understeering plow it was in stock form.

Welcome aboard,
    Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    Did you buy a WRX as well? Also love the picture, I am ex Army.
    I just noticed...11 posts total and you've already got 2 of the little green pips for reputation points. Must be a new record!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Just ordered one of these, can't stand the OEM WRX shift knob. My first mod on the new car

Great post and actually great review on the cars !!I read it completely. Congrats on your hatch! The BRZ is more like a Miata coupe.And I love nimble roadsters and coupes as much as I love big American V8s.I would have to disagree on one statement though,

" You are not going to rotate the back end out with AWD"

I also come from a RWD, a Charger R/T. Agree, that BRZZ is a much lighter car and its easy to tail out with its nimble RWD chassis, but I feel that our rexes are tail happy as well. Now, my experience is on unplowed roads. If you , on a corner, downshift and get to some 3k rpms and just power over, the tail steps out instantly. I have experienced this even with the VDC on. Neither its because of tires as I have some brand new GW3s on the car. I should say that the VDC intervines much later and lets you have some fun before it kicks in. This is unlike the ESP on the Charger, which kicks in instantly as soon as the rear wheel slips. Anyways, I'm sure you would have been sad to leave the BRZ. But at the same time you will like the Rex more very soon.

Above all, true AWD (not the cheap $3k Haldex option on a FWD car) and RWD > by miles than FWD !
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

I am new here as well, nice intro. Welcome!
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Cobb Stage I

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    I am watching the OK - Bama game so had time to read the whole thing. Good write up on the differences, I didn't spend too much time on the Fords, but they were a consideration for a while.

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    Great post and actually great review on the cars !!I read it completely. Congrats on your hatch! The BRZ is more like a Miata coupe.And I love nimble roadsters and coupes as much as I love big American V8s.I would have to disagree on one statement though,

" You are not going to rotate the back end out with AWD"

I also come from a RWD, a Charger R/T. Agree, that BRZZ is a much lighter car and its easy to tail out with its nimble RWD chassis, but I feel that our rexes are tail happy as well. Now, my experience is on unplowed roads. If you , on a corner, downshift and get to some 3k rpms and just power over, the tail steps out instantly. I have experienced this even with the VDC on. Neither its because of tires as I have some brand new GW3s on the car. I should say that the VDC intervines much later and lets you have some fun before it kicks in. This is unlike the ESP on the Charger, which kicks in instantly as soon as the rear wheel slips. Anyways, I'm sure you would have been sad to leave the BRZ. But at the same time you will like the Rex more very soon.

Above all, true AWD (not the cheap $3k Haldex option on a FWD car) and RWD > by miles than FWD !
    Great info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I am watching the OK - Bama game so had time to read the whole thing. Good write up on the differences, I didn't spend too much time on the Fords, but they were a consideration for a while.

Welcome.
    Even though I went to UF, I will be rooting for the Noles on Monday.

The more I drive this car, the more I really like it. Steering is a little loose feeling at lower speeds, but it handles really, really well. And it laughs at snow

I am trying to stay under 4K rpm for the first 1000 miles, but man is it hard. I have gone over 4K a few times and the power in this car is amazing. The BRZ seems incredibly slow compared to this car.

I am going to pull the trigger soon on a rear sway bar. I am sticking with the STi rear sway and having a Subaru dealer install it. It will cost a little more, but I really don't want any warranty issues and the Subaru dealer I spoke to said they would do it (the install) for about $120 which is pretty fair.

$120 for sway bar?!?! Jesus. They are also the people who said a sport spring install was 7 hours worth of labor... which ended up being completed by me and a neighbor in 2.5 hours. Look on subarugenuineparts.com I believe they have front and rear sti sway bars for ~$200 do the install your self much better option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Welcome man! I bought one on 12/26 same color and everything. My brother actually has the fr-s and my opinion I still don't like it as much or I would've bought it. I'm only 20 and no family yet. But it's nice to have 5 door hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_WRX View Post
    $120 for sway bar?!?! Jesus. They are also the people who said a sport spring install was 7 hours worth of labor... which ended up being completed by me and a neighbor in 2.5 hours. Look on subarugenuineparts.com I believe they have front and rear sti sway bars for ~$200 do the install your self much better option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Just to be clear I am not paying $120 for the sway bar. I am paying less than $100. I am paying $100-120 for the labor. I actually have no problem installing it myself but I have read too many horror stories about Subaru dealers denying warranty work for non-dealer installed parts and aftermarket parts. I confirmed with the Subaru dealer that a genuine Subaru part will not impact any warranty claims on the suspension if it is installed by the dealer. If I install it myself or another third party installs, it, then Subaru could deny any warranty work on my suspension if they feel the sway bar contributed to the problem. I know of one WRX STi owner locally that was denied a warranty repair on his engine because he flashed it.

Not worth it to me for $100, and working outside in Jan-Mar in Minnesota just sucks. I will let someone else do it it is going to be -50 here on Monday...

I understand what you are saying, I guess in most situations its better to play it safe.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast