Gauges what to get?

This is a discussion on Gauges what to get? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I am looking at getting some gauges, I know there are tons of options. I like the look of ...

Gauges what to get?

So I am looking at getting some gauges, I know there are tons of options. I like the look of Pro sport halo series. Just wondering if I should go with Digital or Electric! Just looking for boost and oil pressure right now

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I prefer the mechanical gauges if I can get them. Generally not as pretty, but less can go wrong. If you have an AP, then you already have a boost gauge

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 For electronic Analog Gauges. Their Easier to read IMO.
    Last edited by Fender137; 12-28-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Prosport gauges are cheap. They had certain disadvantages. I also wouldn't expect them to last you very long. Can you tell I didn't like them that much? lol

I'd go for Maddad, Greddy, VDO or the like if you're looking on the intermediate area of the spectrum.

But on the high end Defi are worth thier price and highly popular for a reason. Lots of features and great quality.

I Support ClubWRX
    agreed ^^ I would personally get the Defi Gauges if you can, You can usually find them used for a reasonable price. Greddy is good a choice as well, but I've seen some light bulb failures with the Greddy gauge, as they are an older gauge. If you really want to go high end (Formula one, leman's style) you could get some Stack Gauges

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    +1. although, some people have no problem with their prosports, there are a good group of people that do.. mine crapped out after 1 year. i replaced them with defi's and absolutely love them.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I have to disagree about the mechanical vs electronic gauges. It's a risk to let oil pass through the firewall even in a stainless hose. It's not that big a deal if you do it properly, just not as reliable in general.

If the line rubs through and gets a leak, several problems occur. No need to explain what those are.
    If a sender wire rubs through nothing mechanical can fail, and the engine will function properly.
    Electronic boost gauges can be more accurate than mechanical ones, depending on quality of product.
    Electronic oil pressure and temperature are all I would recommend for those two functions,
    for boost, you can lose up to 1/4lb in the line with an analog gauge. With braided steel, probably a bit less.
    Considering the cost added for good stainless line, an electronic gauge is probably a better bet. Less messy to install also.

Brands come and go, Greddy, HKS, Apex'i, TurboSmart and a few others had gauges made with their name on the dial. Not that they aren't good, they are just branded... as are many others. AutoMeter, Stack, Defi, Stewart Warner, VDO and PLX are all good companies with reputations earned at the track and in other competitions including show and shine. The second list of companies most likely manufactured the gauges for the first list.

All in all, you get what you pay for with gauges, reliability and accuracy aren't necessarily expensive if you don't mind how closely they match cosmetically. If you can afford to have both, cosmetic appearance is short lived if the data is far from accurate. I have been through it with gauges, and this is what I have found regarding the brands... beyond that, put them where you can see them, while still seeing out of the car..lol... nothing like a badly designed gauge pod to make foul a fun installation.