New to the subaru life, upgrade questions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the subaru life, upgrade questions? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys just picked up my first wrx a couple nights ago. It's a 2014 wrx wagon. I am in ...

New to the subaru life, upgrade questions?

Hey guys just picked up my first wrx a couple nights ago. It's a 2014 wrx wagon. I am in love with the car and so happy. I know I need to do some research on here but are there any must do upgrades to do? It's my daily driver, so I'm not wanting to full out build it. I am thinking as I can afford it get the spt cat back, then a Cobb rai and an accessport v3. Is that a good start?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Start with the AccessPort, then Intake, and so on, and so on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. check this thread out The Big 2011/2012 Mod thread
    I wouldnt get the SPT exhaust you can go with something else for the same price.
    Accessport its a good way to go but make sure to wait till after the break in period. For performance I go with a new downpipe the stock airbox should be fine no need to upgrade that first.
    You can always get some tail light overlays for your hatch. Also maybe a short throw shifter and new bushings.
    Did you get any options with the car?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Ok great thank you, yeah I figured it would be a couple months tell I can get the accessport. What brands of exhaust would you recommend? It has the spt boost gauge, and short shifter.

I've heard the SPT shifter doesn't throw as short as others like Cobb/Kartboy. Invidia N1 or Q300 seem to be one of the more popular exhausts, but there are many others out there.
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    I've heard the SPT shifter doesn't throw as short as others like Cobb/Kartboy. Invidia N1 or Q300 seem to be one of the more popular exhausts, but there are many others out there.
    OEM short shifter replaces the linkage mostly, not the lever. Get a Kartboy to add into it...make it double the shortness! That's what I did...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

You will love the instant gratification of a Kartboy shirt shifter and front/rear shifter bushings. Get those sooner then later! A heavier aftermarket shift knob is a good compliment the the short shift lever and bushings too! Upgrading the exhaust is also one of the best first mods. I bet you wouldn't be disappointed with an invidia Q300 system just by the shear amount of people who have them and seem to love them. Good luck and prepare to get another job to support your new hobby/addiction!
    2010 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Nameless, turboxs, and cobb are also good exhausts. Just putting some options out there for you to research.

OK great, thank you everyone for the in-put. I have been glued to the computer since I have bought the car doing research. I will look into getting the Karboy here soon. I am going to try to order the Rally armor mud flats today. Then here next month I want to order the Accessport v3. I do have a question thought, there is a guy that has a v2 for sale i know for $375. What do you guys think, should i do the new one or the old v2? I only plan to do a little bit to the car like turbo back exhaust, intake, brv, and maybe a couple other small stuff. I am bike into sportbikes so thats where most of my money goes and to make the bike faster lol. Thanks again for all your help.

hey so one more question, I can get the SPT exhaust from the dealer for $800, is that at least worth looking at? I like how it sounds, but if it isnt a good exhaust I would rather spend a bit more and get something good.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    hey so one more question, I can get the SPT exhaust from the dealer for $800, is that at least worth looking at? I like how it sounds, but if it isnt a good exhaust I would rather spend a bit more and get something good.
    You can get better exhausts for that money. You should hit up the vendors on here for quotes on prices, they usually do much better than you can find online (fast tuning products is a good vendor to inquire). V2 AP would be fine, however, going forward, they probably won't be updating the software that is run on that device. I have a v2 and don't plan on updating it. One thing to consider is what kind of maps you are going to be running (Cobb, etc), and make sure any parts that you are going to be buying are compatable with that map, most importantly the intake that you are getting. You mentioned a "brv," I am assuming you mean BOV. I would highly recommend you not get a BOV that is atmospheric, rather recirculating. It is not worth the PSSSSHHH sound, as it makes the car run like crap.

On a side note, what kind of sport bike do you have? I also am into sportbikes and have done quite a bit of mods to mine

Depending on where you are you might want to consider winter wheels as a first "upgrade", it improves your chances to make further upgrades later, rather than making repairs. Then tools: Tactrix or AccessPort, metric wrenches and socket set, a good tire pressure gauge... I'd go for the basics first, after all it's under warranty. Might want to wait with any upgrades that could potentially make Subaru deny your warranty.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    You can get better exhausts for that money. You should hit up the vendors on here for quotes on prices, they usually do much better than you can find online (fast tuning products is a good vendor to inquire). V2 AP would be fine, however, going forward, they probably won't be updating the software that is run on that device. I have a v2 and don't plan on updating it. One thing to consider is what kind of maps you are going to be running (Cobb, etc), and make sure any parts that you are going to be buying are compatable with that map, most importantly the intake that you are getting. You mentioned a "brv," I am assuming you mean BOV. I would highly recommend you not get a BOV that is atmospheric, rather recirculating. It is not worth the PSSSSHHH sound, as it makes the car run like crap.

On a side note, what kind of sport bike do you have? I also am into sportbikes and have done quite a bit of mods to mine
    That is a good point, i figured i would get that as a the the Cobb AC and then the Cobb intake with the box. I thought our cars have a BRV now or something like that? I was just going to upgrade the plastic one to a better one. The PSSSSHH isnt what im looking, just trying to make the car run better?

On that side note though I have a 2012 R1 that I have been slowly trying to get built up. How about yourself, what do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Depending on where you are you might want to consider winter wheels as a first "upgrade", it improves your chances to make further upgrades later, rather than making repairs. Then tools: Tactrix or AccessPort, metric wrenches and socket set, a good tire pressure gauge... I'd go for the basics first, after all it's under warranty. Might want to wait with any upgrades that could potentially make Subaru deny your warranty.
    Yeah wheeles and tires are soon, just forgot to add that. I have all the tools and tire gauge and everything. I Went from being a jeep guy to subi. The basics are all i am really wanting, and the Cobb AC is going to be the first real thing I get for the car

Just an FYI is cobb AP,not AC lol and our cars come with a BPV which is a recirculating blow off value that's why it's important if your looking at BOV to get one that can be set to full recirculating, that way it keeps the car happy.

Welcome and happy modding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast