New to the subaru life, upgrade questions? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New to the subaru life, upgrade questions? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Scoob1318 Just an FYI is cobb AP,not AC lol and our cars come with a BPV which ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    Just an FYI is cobb AP,not AC lol and our cars come with a BPV which is a recirculating blow off value that's why it's important if your looking at BOV to get one that can be set to full recirculating, that way it keeps the car happy.

Welcome and happy modding
    Ok yes thank you, I am still learning all that. And that's what I ment then was a BPV. Is it worth putting a better one on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    That is a good point, i figured i would get that as a the the Cobb AC and then the Cobb intake with the box. I thought our cars have a BRV now or something like that? I was just going to upgrade the plastic one to a better one. The PSSSSHH isnt what im looking, just trying to make the car run better?

On that side note though I have a 2012 R1 that I have been slowly trying to get built up. How about yourself, what do you have?
    OOoooo nice! Post some pictures of it in the sportbike thread! http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/motorc...er-thread.html

I have a 2003 r6.

And the BPV is a good upgrade once you get above certain power levels. At stock levels it is fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    OOoooo nice! Post some pictures of it in the sportbike thread! http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/motorc...er-thread.html

I have a 2003 r6.

And the BPV is a good upgrade once you get above certain power levels. At stock levels it is fine though.
    ok cool I posted some on there. So should I look into one once i have the Cobb v3, intake, exhaust?

I've got a Used Cobb SF Intake w/Airbox $250 OBO.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    ok cool I posted some on there. So should I look into one once i have the Cobb v3, intake, exhaust?
    My understanding is that the stock BPV is fine up to stage 2 levels, but past that you would want to look I to something a little better. I have a different stock BPV on my car (sti) so I am not 100% certain, but past stage 2 I know most wrx owners replace the BPV with something better quality like a forge or turbosmart. Long story short it is not a priority unless you have a failure of some kind with your stock one.

Btw the r1 is sick!

Check your local craigslist, thats where I found my Accessport and SPT exhaust at. Much cheaper than brand new. The SPT exhaust isn't the best as everyone else has stated but if you can get a really good deal on a used one its worth it. Got mine for $150 off of a 2010 STI. Accessport was $200 and some Ar-15 parts. Some people get fixated on new exhaust because they are shiny and clean but other than the tips look at any exhaust after a few thousand miles not so shiny anymore. Point being, if you can get a good deal on a used exhaust do it.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Oh and welcome!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    My understanding is that the stock BPV is fine up to stage 2 levels, but past that you would want to look I to something a little better. I have a different stock BPV on my car (sti) so I am not 100% certain, but past stage 2 I know most wrx owners replace the BPV with something better quality like a forge or turbosmart. Long story short it is not a priority unless you have a failure of some kind with your stock one.

Btw the r1 is sick!
    The WRX BPVs are plastic and have been known to asplode with as little as 17-18psi...so anything more than that, you're looking at potential issues. Same goes with the plastic endtanks on the stock TMIC. Both of those are actually good upgradeable items at Stage 2.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

If you're going to upgrade your TMIC, process west makes some pretty slick looking TMIC... that's what I'm targeting for upgrades.... way down the line... :P

Also, I got my epeen totally demolished the other day... I opened my hood next to an STI and noticed how much smaller my TMIC was..

First, welcome! Grats on new rex! As was mentioned, start with the basics. The stock air box is good past 300WHP (close to 400 at the crank). I know because I run the stock airbox on a 300+ 2011 WRX. I also run the stock cat back exhaust. Your first bottle necks will be: downpipe, fuel system, boost controller/bpv and intercooler. As was also mentioned, the stock TMIC is a joke. I went with the Process West TMIC and love it. I gather this is your first WRX. Take it slow. I recommend buying the Cobb AP and starting with a modest stage 1 OTS map which requires no hardware. There is actually a slight power loss with stage 1 (I have the dynos to prove it!) but the area under the curve is increased, and the band is much smoother. Once you decide what you want from your subie, go from there. Personally, I think the stock suspension is inadequate even for the stock power levels, but then again I enjoy turning fast more than top speeds. Again, most ppl will tell you to get an intake and exhaust...which is great if all you want is for your car to sound cool. I would avoid the SPT exhaust. At $800 I would rather go with the Invidia Q300 ($900 on rallysportdirect.com). There are many threads that clear up good first mods and the shortfalls of each generation of wrx. keep us posted and good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.