New here. My first post ( pics of my new 2013 sti ) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New here. My first post ( pics of my new 2013 sti ) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 11blackSTi Welcome Tnx! Originally Posted by Schlanseay Love that color! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Tnx! ...

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Welcome
    Tnx!

Quote Originally Posted by Schlanseay View Post
    Love that color!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tnx! I love it too..
    Bone stock! for now...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by silver_sti View Post
    Tnx, am mixed race as well (Spanish-Chinese-portugese), as there is almost no full blooded Filipino left I think... lol ). Was planning on having the basic bolt ons first (typhoon intake, up pipe and downpipes by xsturbo, grimmspeed or invidia whichever is best and on the right budget and an exhaust). Then work my way up to engine management (plan to use aem-ems for ecu rather than reflash so I can use a map and disable the maf), injecotrs, bov, up the boost. clutch, target boost is on the 20ish range... etc..

At the moment, im still figuring out what parts and brands im gona use, been reading the forums a lot which really helps out. Its like a major culture shock from years of being stuck with Honda then a quick shift to Subaru. lol
    Modding these cars is pretty touchy. You'll need to include engine management in the beginning for pretty much any bolt-on except a catback.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

At least you won't have to worry about winter tires

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Modding these cars is pretty touchy. You'll need to include engine management in the beginning for pretty much any bolt-on except a catback.
    +1 please listen to Calvinball on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    At least you won't have to worry about winter tires
    +1 I miss two seasons monsoon, and sunny.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Welcome and congrats!

Tnx for the input calvin.

What engine management package would you suggest if I were to do it from the start? Have some long experience with piggybacks, crome and hondata wayback for Hondas wayback. Was aiming aem-ems so I can use the map sensor, or can you suggest a more cheaper or should i say more effective enigine management systems?
    Bone stock! for now...

I Support ClubWRX

What engine management package would you suggest if I were to do it from the start? Have some long experience with piggybacks, crome and hondata wayback for Hondas wayback. Was aiming aem-ems so I can use the map sensor, or can you suggest a more cheaper or should i say more effective enigine management systems?
    Cobb accessport and tactrix cable (with laptop and related software) are popular tuning methods. Cobb AP is more off the shelf for standard bolt on parts, but more expensive than the tactrix cable, which is more common for e-tuning/opensource tuning. If you go Cobb, you want to follow the map notes to a T. The AP is a very handy stand alone tuning/data logging device, that can also be used as a gauge. Some pro tuners also load via the AP, but most also use the tactrix cable as well.

No problem! I too came from a Honda product, and these Subarus are much much more touchy to mod. That said, if you do it right it is pretty easy.

I'd recommend checking out the post I have linked in my signature, as well as this one, for a bit of background:

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

As far as what type of engine management, there's two basic types to choose from, with pros and cons to both. A good read on that:

Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Cobb accessport and tactrix cable (with laptop and related software) are popular tuning methods. Cobb AP is more off the shelf for standard bolt on parts, but more expensive than the tactrix cable, which is more common for e-tuning/opensource tuning. If you go Cobb, you want to follow the map notes to a T. The AP is a very handy stand alone tuning/data logging device, that can also be used as a gauge. Some pro tuners also load via the AP, but most also use the tactrix cable as well.
    Meaning to say cobbs is the most user friendly of these fellas since the is a note or guide to follow in each mod and tune to follow? Hmmm... Makes me go away from the aem-ems for the map upgrade and stay with the maf side. tnx for the inputs. Slowly but i get the hang of t.
    Bone stock! for now...

No problem! I too came from a Honda product, and these Subarus are much much more touchy to mod. That said, if you do it right it is pretty easy.

I'd recommend checking out the post I have linked in my signature, as well as this one, for a bit of background:

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

As far as what type of engine management, there's two basic types to choose from, with pros and cons to both. A good read on that:

Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)
    Great! i love reading materials. Food for thought. tnx again.
    Bone stock! for now...

Great! i love reading materials. Food for thought. tnx again.
    Of course!
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice to know! Say mabuhay to her from me! Did they have lechon (roast pig) on the table? Merry Christmas TheJ.
    Lechon, pancit, lumpia, leche flan and much more.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I'm looking to get the typhoon kit as well, from what I've read it seems like people haven't had many problems with it. I'm looking to get intake, AP, and exhaust. Cobb is a really great brand and overall great company. Nameless has also made a decent name for themselves. Hahah that is quite a shift! Before my subie I had a '97 sc300. She was great but ran into one problem after another after a couple years. Sad to see her go! Keep posting pictures and let me know how your upgrades go!

welcome!
    "The beauty of all wheel drive"

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Lechon, pancit, lumpia, leche flan and much more.
    The usual noche buena. I hope you enjoyed it.

PS. nice AR on your avatar, shows the bolt, got the mk18 mod 0 build as well (full auto too)
    Last edited by silver_sti; 12-27-2013 at 03:56 AM.
    Bone stock! for now...

Quote Originally Posted by ladywankenobi View Post
    I'm looking to get the typhoon kit as well, from what I've read it seems like people haven't had many problems with it. I'm looking to get intake, AP, and exhaust. Cobb is a really great brand and overall great company. Nameless has also made a decent name for themselves. Hahah that is quite a shift! Before my subie I had a '97 sc300. She was great but ran into one problem after another after a couple years. Sad to see her go! Keep posting pictures and let me know how your upgrades go!
    From what ive read. Going for the EM ( cobb would be my pick) first is what I would do before bolting on or adding any mods to the engine, its a step by step upgrade (unlike the up pipe which doesnt need any em adjustments). Like what Calvin said, subaru tunning is touchy (really makes sense), so before getting those intakes(needs more fuel since more air makes it a bit leaner), boost controllers ( ignition compensation and adding more fuel), injectors ( more air means more fuel) cams (more air-more fuel), exhaust.. etc. My first pick would be the cobb em since its kinda easy to use then work my way up.

Would be making a thread in the pic gallery soon, just gonna do the break in first then would take pics and post them there as well as the mods. Its kinda hard to break in a car like the sti when you live in a city with 30-40-60 KPH speed limit (yes, our cops have those radar guns). Was even flagged down yesterday for doing 57 in a 40 kph zone, cop just gave me a warning since its christmas. Planning to join a road trip/fun run on the open roads to a nearby city with the evos and subbies after new year, just cant make the fun run tomorow since its guna be my birthday.
    Last edited by silver_sti; 12-27-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    Bone stock! for now...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast