YESSS! Finally bought my dream car. 2014 WRX Premium - BLUE!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on YESSS! Finally bought my dream car. 2014 WRX Premium - BLUE! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey there guys! Name is Scott. I’m 27. I make websites for a living. I live in San Diego, CA. ...

YESSS! Finally bought my dream car. 2014 WRX Premium - BLUE!

Hey there guys!

Name is Scott. I’m 27. I make websites for a living. I live in San Diego, CA. Just bought a new 2014 WRX Premium. Got it in Rally blue. Has been my dream car since I was 16. I finally doing well enough to spend some money on the finer things in life, and the Subaru lifestyle seemed to fit me quite nicely.

I snowboard, dirt bike, mt bike (soon), skateboard, Alterskate, dirt bike, jet ski surf, fish, kayak, jet ski and do lots of boat stuff.

I also have a 1999 Yukon that I use as my ‘tow-rig’ for boats, jet skis, dirt bikes, trailers, etc. Will be posting up lots of pics of trips and all the toys.

I traded in my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi 4x4. LOVED that jeep but was time to downsize a little. Had 420 HP and I loved every bit of it. Always have had the need for speed.

Looking forward to getting some mods done to her… him… it… haven’t got a name yet so not sure what ’it’ is. But it will come to me.

Already have a good list broken up into ‘stages’. Sure everyone has these lists going on so let me know if I’m doing this right. Here’s what I have ordered or about to order so far:

- Tint - 5% all around, 30% in front. Windshield strip
    - Floor mats
    - Trunk cover
    - Roof racks
    - Snowboard mounts
    - Fog light yellow overlays
    - Brighter fog light bulbs (don’t know which ones yet??)
    - Plate cover (rear)
    - Front plate needs something
    - LED strip lights in front footwells. I like the STI LED kit it came with, but I want even more. Got 2 red 12” LED strips ordered. May even put them on a dimmer
    - Gille Pin Red Stripe JDM
    - Valentine One Radar Detector
    - Visor mout for radar
    - Red Hella horn kit (with harness and bracket)
    - Reddit WRX sticker 4” (ordered, and its awesome)
    - Cup holder iPhone mount
    - LED interior light kit
    - Silicone rubber remote cover, red. (stoopid but I’m stoked for it)

Yeah the list can go on and on with performance mods, but for now she is just fast enough. I have the STI short shifter though, so thats rad. I would like it to sound a little better though? Maybe do the SPT exhaust? I need to look into that so any suggestions would be cool.

What else… I have the 80k mile 6 year warranty. Going to keep her for a long time. I am up for engine mods, BOV, intake, exhaust, Boost gauge, turbo timer, etc… just don’t want to void my warranty.

SUPER excited to be part of the WRX club. Will be posting lots of pics and update progress throughout our journey together!

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1541.jpg   IMG_1542.jpg   IMG_1543.jpg   IMG_1545.jpg   IMG_1547.jpg  

IMG_1548.jpg   IMG_1550.jpg   IMG_1551.jpg   IMG_1553.jpg   IMG_1563.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome, looks nice.
    2014 WRX Limited, 2013 BRZ, 2013 RAV4, 2003 MR2 Spyder, 2003 Highlander

Welcome!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by mosswrx View Post
    Yeah the list can go on and on with performance mods, but for now she is just fast enough. I have the STI short shifter though, so thats rad. I would like it to sound a little better though? Maybe do the SPT exhaust? I need to look into that so any suggestions would be cool.
    Personally, I'd change out the shifter knob. Popular options include the STI 5-speed leather/aluminum shifter knob and WC Lathe Werks knobs.

Also, I'd also strongly recommend changing the front and rear shifter bushings with urethane units (Kartboy is the most popular). Right now you're shifter will be nice and notchy, but within several hundred miles, it will become vague. The bushing will make shifts notchy and feel more positive.

As far as exhausts, the SPT catback is weak...and overpriced. There are many other options for your hatch that sound louder and better. Personally, I love my Nameless catback with 5" mufflers and midpipe resonator and it sounds great. And it's warranty safe (just don't touch the uppipe or downpipe - as both require a tune).

What else… I have the 80k mile 6 year warranty. Going to keep her for a long time. I am up for engine mods, BOV, intake, exhaust, Boost gauge, turbo timer, etc… just don’t want to void my warranty.
    If you're concerned about your warranty, remember: You don't void your warranty just because you installed aftermarket parts. They can, however, deny a specific warranty claim, if they believe the aftermarket part or action on your part contributed to the failure. For example, you change out the head unit and the tranny fails. Since the radio couldn't possibly contribute to the tranny failure, you're covered. On the other hand, if you had an electrical failure, they could pin it on the install of the new head unit and deny the claim.

There are what I would call "safe" mods (such as head units, catback/axleback exhausts, boost gauge, mudflaps). And then there are "risky" mods (such as BOVs, intakes, turboback (essentially a catback + downpipe) exhausts, uppipe replacements, basically anything that requires flashing the ECU). If you're risk averse, stay away from the risky mods until your warranty expires. You gotta pay to play.

BTW, you do not need a turbo timer. Waste of money. These turbo units do not require a cooldown period prior to shutting down the engine.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Congratulations! Looking good.

wow thanks for the advice! I do not like the existing shift knob, you are right. Its the leather on my hand that just makes me feel, gross. I love the steering wheel, but a nice cold aluminum sift knob would be way cooler! and the STI shift knob, would be pretty awesome. Good to know about the bushings in there. Yeah right now it does feel real good, but I don't want it to slack up in the process of time.

Will be hunting down an exhaust next. It just doesn't have any growl to it! Thanks for the update on the warranty, for now I am playing it safe, but who knows down the line and stage 2 cobb kit sounds amazing like so many of you have done. Thanks for your help, im a newb but def going to learn the ins and outs of this car. Can't wait for the little additions to get here and I'll post up some pics! Cheers

Ooow! I'm jealous!

Nice!

I personally love the SPT exhaust sound, it's not too loud like some others for daily driving (with kids in the car especially). I would never have paid full price for it either though (got the dealership to include it). It all depends on what you want, SPT is definitly loud enough for me and unleashes a little rumble. Nice car, congrats! I gave up on the warranty thing after about a year of driving stock, it's just too easy to make these cars better (downpipe & tune), it feels like a different car.
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2

Welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

UPDATE: Did the LED conversion all around (front, rear, trunk and license plate lights) Looks 100 x's better!
    Got a metal WRX license plate frame for the rear.
    Mounted my Valentine One Radar detector mount, getting the radar tonight.
    Have the red pin stripe mod for the front grill, the yellow overlay inserts for fog lights, a reddit WRX sticker (classic!) and a few other nick nacks on their way.

I am doing the hard wire valentine one to the electric mirror mod, does anyone have a good write up on how to do this? I don't want to fudge anything up. The idea of course is when you turn on the car, the radar goes on. When the car goes off, radar goes off. Simple :-)

LOVING the subi! Window tint all around next week!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4617.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	127018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	127026

NO BOV ever! If you are pushing enough power you can eventually get a BPV (look it up). Invidia Q300's are popular and are more well priced and look better than the SPT in my opinion. Do some good research on quality parts and you will be fine!

Enjoy the car!

UPDATE: Did the LED conversion all around (front, rear, trunk and license plate lights) Looks 100 x's better!
    Got a metal WRX license plate frame for the rear.
    Mounted my Valentine One Radar detector mount, getting the radar tonight.
    Have the red pin stripe mod for the front grill, the yellow overlay inserts for fog lights, a reddit WRX sticker (classic!) and a few other nick nacks on their way.

I am doing the hard wire valentine one to the electric mirror mod, does anyone have a good write up on how to do this? I don't want to fudge anything up. The idea of course is when you turn on the car, the radar goes on. When the car goes off, radar goes off. Simple :-)

LOVING the subi! Window tint all around next week!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4617.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	127018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	127026
    Welcome I'm just as new and just as eager for mods (big or small). Where did u buy the LEDs? I've been curious about doing the same but wasn't wanting to spend money on bulbs that wouldn't last or look good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey guys,

Been doing a lot of browsing and getting all the mods together. Here is what I got so far. I gave the links for all the items if anyone is interested. Will get pics of the car next when its all installed.

Got the interior LED's at: Amazon.com: White LED Lights Interior Package for Subaru WRX STi (6 Pieces): Automotive

Just ordered some red brake light overlays: 08 14 WRX STI Hatchback Red Taillight Precut w Reverse Cutout Tint Overlays JDM | eBay

Valentine one radar detector - picked up on Craigslist for $300. Looks brand new, 6 months old.

Got the radar mounted under the rearview mirror: Mirrormount

Just about to wire the radar directly to the doom light with this: Valentine One 1 V1 Radar Direct Stealth Mirror Cord Kit | eBay

Ordered a CD tray phone holder: Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices: GPS & Navigation

Ordered a ROLA trunk organizer, to keep things down when getting some: Amazon.com: Rola 59001 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Trunk Organizer: Automotive

Got the Reddit Subaru sticker, not sure where to mount it yet?: JLC - 1 piece of 4" Subaru Reddit Alien Die-Cut Car Vinyl Decal Sticker Import Turbo - Car Decal Sticker - White : Amazon.com : Automotive

The rear license plate frame: Amazon.com: Subaru WRX Black License Plate Frame (Zinc Metal): Everything Else

Putting led lighting under the dash up front. on a separate switch, but the lights down there just weren’t good enough: 2X 12" Red 1210 SMD Flexible LED Light Strips for Universal Car Truck SUV Van RV | eBay

Adding LED lighting around the trunk with this, have a few places in mind on where to put them: 12V Cool White 5M Waterproof 5050 SMD LED Strip 300 Lights | eBay

Blue Valve stems all around: 4 x Aluminum Tire Rim Valve Wheel Air Port Dust Cover Stems Cap Caps RT059 Blue | eBay

Red front grill stripe: 2008 - 2014 WRX & STi Gille Pin Stripe JDM

Yellow overlays just came in, about to install them, but I want to get new bulbs for the fog lights as well. Suggestions?

About to order the HELLA horns, mounting bracket and wiring harness.

Have window tint being done this week. 5% all around, 35% on front windows. Plus the race strip

About to order the floor mats front and rear, as well as the trunk cover: Will purchase from dealership, I get 10% off for buying the car from them.

Thats about it for now. Still looking around for other basic fun mods i could do. Car is a ton of fun of course. Just drove it up to Big Bear, CA at night and had it wide open for at least 20 minutes. Was amazing seeing what it can really do. Just about to hit 2,000 miles.

QUESTION: Looking for the brightest LED light bulb I can find for the fog lights? Brighter the better, but still street legal?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.