new to wrx's timing belt question

This is a discussion on new to wrx's timing belt question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I'm going to be picking up a 02 wrx in a couple of day. It has 180k on it ...

Well I'm going to be picking up a 02 wrx in a couple of day. It has 180k on it and its only had one replacement done at 100k for piece of mind I'm planing on doing this first thing. I have been doing a lot of research and seen enough stories about the blue gates belts causing buildup and having potential to through the timing off a little to make me stay away. The kit I'm looking at is a GMB but I'm having trouble finding any reviews on them any help would be great. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with this question.
    I'm looking forward to the subby experience. I've been wrenching on older cars since I was able to. Currently own a 68 GTO with a pontiac 400 with 11/1 compression wanting to hit the dino with it this summer. I also have two motorcycles 06 sv650 (now the wife's bike) and my 08 buell 1125r cant beat the torque of the v-twin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

The belt is due every 105K, so the next replacement is at 210K.

I used the Gates kit with the black belt.

What is GMB?

See:
    Gates Timing Belt Kit - My Impressions
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

This is the one i was looking at. I know that it should be at 210k but it would just put my mind at ease if I did it first thing along with oil change and fluid changes
    02 05 2 0L Subaru WRX Turbo DOHC EJ20T GMB Water Pump Timing Belt Kit | eBay

I Support ClubWRX
    That kit is over $100 less than I paid a site vendor for a Gates kit three years ago. Given the price difference alone, I'd buy Gates. I'm skeptical.

I've not heard of GMB though and I won't use the fancier blue Gates belt because I find it unnecessary anyway. Gates is the OEM for the belt allegedly.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

sounds good thanks

i'm having a hard time finding the black gates timing belt for a 02 wrx I found this one but it states 04 and newerGates Timing Belt Kit Subaru Turbo Models (inc. 2004-2014 WRX / STI) TCK328 at RallySportDirect.com do you have a reputable site?

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe I used Oakos Automotive at the time.

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe on my 2002 I used:
    Fits: 2002-2003 WRX
    Brand: Gates
    Manufacturer's Part Number: TCKWP328A
    Color: Black
    UPC: 770075407454
    from Oakos. I bought dealer thermostat and dealer water pump and thermostat gaskets and cam and crank seals. If you go with the kit mind the bolt depth, one of the rollers changed depth so make sure your bolts are all long enough to grab threads.

I actually just found your write up on that thank you

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stensg View Post
    I actually just found your write up on that thank you
    See if you can find the how-to thread, and there's another thread where I asked for help with the seals. I can't link you on my mobile (because I don't know what I'm doing... Sigh...) but they're out there.