The Lord of Suby Newbies
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The Lord of Suby Newbies within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys. A stock 03 wrx was handed down to me a year ago. Now its got about 112k miles. ...

The Lord of Suby Newbies

hey guys. A stock 03 wrx was handed down to me a year ago. Now its got about 112k miles. Im looking for it to last me a long time but i want to have some fun in it too before it gets too old if you know what i mean. What I'm looking for is to increase hp but not at the expense of my mpgs (~23.5). I want powerful sound, but not shake houses when i drive buy.

A lot of my friends are telling me the first step is an intake and exhaust system. One of my cats is busted so i guess this is the time to do my first mod. Not sure which cat is is though (i think theres 3?). Also I'm looking to do the work myself. Can I do this exhaust work if i buy rhino ramps?

Any advice?

Much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xkwon View Post
    hey guys. A stock 03 wrx was handed down to me a year ago. Now its got about 112k miles. Im looking for it to last me a long time but i want to have some fun in it too before it gets too old if you know what i mean. What I'm looking for is to increase hp but not at the expense of my mpgs (~23.5). I want powerful sound, but not shake houses when i drive buy.

A lot of my friends are telling me the first step is an intake and exhaust system. One of my cats is busted so i guess this is the time to do my first mod. Not sure which cat is is though (i think theres 3?). Also I'm looking to do the work myself. Can I do this exhaust work if i buy rhino ramps?

Any advice?

Much appreciated.
    Welcome to the club! It sounds like you have a lot of research to do before you start buying parts. Read this sticky: First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Before anything though, is the car up to date on scheduled maintenance? Have the timing belt and water pump been replaced?

If you want to see an example of a modest 2003 WRX build, check out my build thread in my signature. I did all the modification work myself with just a floorjack and stands.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    1. Timing belt (if it wasn't done already)
    2. Replace the stock up pipe (if it wasn't done already)
    3. Read these threads:
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Exhaust FAQ
    Intake FAQ

Hope that helps.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I sounds like a lot of your friends are leading down a path of destruction.

1st thing you should do is replace the uppipe

Intakes and exhausts do little for these cars. I believe you can get away with an intake with out a tune on your model but will see little to no benefits.

You should get a Cobb AP and a stage 1 tune

If you want a little more power get a downpipe and flash to stage 2.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also replace the up pipe with a catless
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    -Maintenance
    -up pipe
    -downpipe and tune (intake if you want the sound)
    -used catback if you want the sound
    -suspension stuff (tires and wheels, alignment hardware, springs/struts)

That's probably all you'll need, want, or can afford...assuming you're a young person like me. My advice to you, don't buy crap parts (I know they're cheap), keep it tame, and focus on keeping the car on the road. Doing your own maintenance can be just as rewarding as bolting on an expensive part lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Welcome to the club! It sounds like you have a lot of research to do before you start buying parts. Read this sticky: First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Before anything though, is the car up to date on scheduled maintenance? Have the timing belt and water pump been replaced?

If you want to see an example of a modest 2003 WRX build, check out my build thread in my signature. I did all the modification work myself with just a floorjack and stands.
    Thanks for the info. its looking really helpful The car is up to date. i had the timing belt, pump, and tensioner replaced earlier this year.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.