Potential WRX Owner
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Potential WRX Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just wanted to say "hi" as I intend to follow your forum in the future. I am interested in ...

Potential WRX Owner

I just wanted to say "hi" as I intend to follow your forum in the future. I am interested in the new WRX for a couple of reasons: AWD (winters in Wisconsin) and the CVT. Regarding the auto transmission, I have several college-aged kids who may need to drive it and secondly I have had a CVT in a Ford Freestyle for the past 8 years (with 200000+ miles) and really like it. I've studied Subarus for a long time and the 2015 WRX looks to be a great all-rounder. I've never owned a WRX but I look forward to test-driving one in the future. Present cars include the aforementioned Freestyle, a 2011 Fiesta SES and a 2014 Fiesta ST with mountune mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The WRX is a really fun car to drive. It's great that they're dropping the 5MT for the 6MT (it was a common problem to have trouble getting it to shift into reverse), but I'm not sold on the CVT option. I understand why they're offering it, and I would imagine that it would lead to more sales. I just hope that it doesn't water it down.

How do you like your Fiesta ST? It seems like it'd be a fun little car to zip around in. I actually looked at the Focus ST before I got my old WRX (have a STi now).

I bought a 2013 sti back in March. It now has 12 k miles. The car is great. I would recommend buying a wrx or sti.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

I'm more surprised that you are going to let college aged kids drive it regardless of the transmission choice lol. You have more faith than I would.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Welcome!

I'm more surprised that you are going to let college aged kids drive it regardless of the transmission choice lol. You have more faith than I would.
    haha I was just going to leave that one alone. Only two people other than myself have driven my STi, and I've been friends with them since we were little kids (and they've been driving MT longer than I have). I'm very protective of my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXhockey View Post
    The WRX is a really fun car to drive. It's great that they're dropping the 5MT for the 6MT (it was a common problem to have trouble getting it to shift into reverse), but I'm not sold on the CVT option. I understand why they're offering it, and I would imagine that it would lead to more sales. I just hope that it doesn't water it down.

How do you like your Fiesta ST? It seems like it'd be a fun little car to zip around in. I actually looked at the Focus ST before I got my old WRX (have a STi now).
    Sorry for the delay in my reply, I drove from Wisconsin to Arizona last week in two+ days and had to outrun the ice capades. Regarding the Fiesta ST, it is a great little drive. I have another Fiesta with Ford Racing/Steeda parts and the ST ride is slightly harsher in town (especially if you are seated in the rear) but not bad on the road. Mileage for the first two months is just above 31mpg for a 60/40 city/highway split. I don't have the Recaro seats but I would highly recommend them, especially for weekend racers. Obviously, it is not as powerful as the Focus ST or WRX/STi but still moves. It is a fair weather daily driver with lots of traffic at times so the shift count tends to get high. I upgraded the airbox and shifter with Mountune bits from the UK so the throws are much shorter than stock. Gearing and the OEM tune require a shift to third to get to 60 mph. Work to be done there. To that end, I hope to put in a 215hp tune next year.

I have over 200000 miles on my CVT-equipped Freestyle and like the transmission action so I figure getting used to the WRX would not be a problem. It seems to me, without doing any research, that the WRX has creeped up in size/weight over the past decade. That said, I do like the sedan body in particular and imagine the new version will look good in the flesh. I think a base WRX with 4 wheel drive is a heck of deal as an all-weather car to boot.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    A 2015 wouldn't be much different than a new Camry turbo lol. Good choice for a family car. Especially if you get it with the new auto trans they're offering. Can you tell I'm on board with the new one?

I am excited about the new boxer motor Subaru came out with, at least based on what I've heard from people who know what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by atranz View Post
    I bought a 2013 sti back in March. It now has 12 k miles. The car is great. I would recommend buying a wrx or STi
    Here's my configuration for 2014 (sans the CVT option) that comes in under 27,000 (not a bad deal).

WRX
    Base MSRP* $25,995
    Destination & Delivery $795
    Transmission Manual 5-speed $0
    Colors
    Exterior - WR Blue Pearl
    Interior - Carbon Black Checkered Cloth
    -
    Packages $0
    None Available
    -
    Accessories $173
    SPT Battery Tiedown 2.0 - Blue $49
    SPT Oil Cap - Blue $49
    SPT Turbo Heat Shield $75

Agreed. And thanks to you all that replied to my original post. I see that everyone is from the Southern tier of states. Is there a need for winter tires in addition to the all-wheel drive or do Subaru OEM tires work okay in colder climes where the streets get plowed quickly?

I think OEM tires are Dunlop SP Sport (or at least they were on my '11 WRX) which are pretty grippy summer tires. It never snowed or iced over last winter when I had it so I never got to experiment. The STi I bought came with Goodyear Eagle GT all-season tires. I'm begging for it to snow so I can try them out...stupid Alabama weather.

edt: Without looking at your profile, CarefreeAZ, I'm guessing you live in Arizona so you probably will never need to look into winter tires. (If that's even what you're asking)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.