new owner of 2003 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new owner of 2003 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys just got my first 2003 rally blue subaru wrx it got the original owner all stock never touched ...

new owner of 2003 wrx

hey guys just got my first 2003 rally blue subaru wrx it got the original owner all stock never touched cant wait to start upgrading it i plan on putting a full 3 exhaust cai BOV (i know they dont do anything but make awesome noise lol) and boost controller later on, would i need to tune once when i install the exhaust and cai? any tips or suggestions would be great guys thanks, will post pics soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! Let me help you here. You obviously need to do alot more research as these things have been covered about 32 million times. But here we go Ill save you some time.

1.If you are doing a full exhaust then you will def need a tune.

2.Intakes also should be tuned for, i have heard that the older body style wrx's take to intakes alot better than the new ones, but without a tune it will just be a noise maker with little to no gains.

3.BOV.......dont, just dont. Our cars dont need them, and it is a waste of money that could be utilized elsewhere in modding.

4.As far as boost control goes, i wouldnt recommend a manual boost controller, Grimmspeeds 3-port electronic boost control solenoids is one of the best on the market and widely used with our cars.

5. YOU WILL NEED A TUNE for these mod plans. (accessport, protune, etc.)

6.Another thing to think about is replacing your uppipe, the stock ones have a cat on them that is well known for destroying turbos, this should be your first mod.

Please do not start modding and destroying this car until you have done your research. Plenty of knowledgable people and threads on here that can help. Good luck, and post pics!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

i just started to upgrade my car, same year and model, just different color, to be honest i will say get the cobb ap and run stage 1, the go with their upgrades for stage 2 , sf intake 350 in ebay or amazon and turbo back exhaust around 1200 , dont try and go cheap and get the thing for less because trust me u will mess up ur car , this happen to me and i dont think you should mess up ur car.

Welcome! Check out all of the stickies you can find everywhere about modding. There is good educated advice in a lot of different places.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Welcome, do your research son! ...and what he said^

First good mod would be maintenance. Then I would start with suspension, more fun than engine mods in my opinion. Bushings, better tires, alignment hardware, springs and struts. Or you could do engine management, or engine management + downpipe. Those are good starting points.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Welcome, do your research son! ...and what he said^

First good mod would be maintenance. Then I would start with suspension, more fun than engine mods in my opinion. Bushings, better tires, alignment hardware, springs and struts. Or you could do engine management, or engine management + downpipe. Those are good starting points.
    This is good. These cars are equally as fun with suspension/brake upgrades+ a good sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    6.Another thing to think about is replacing your uppipe, the stock ones have a cat on them that is well known for destroying turbos, this should be your first mod.
    Sorry for the Noob response/question, but does this only apply for the older wrx?

Bought the SPT intake ($180 ebay) and Greddy catless uppipe ($160) along with the AccessPort in the summer.
    Threw on the intake and loaded AP Stage 1. Noticeable mid to high range power clearly because tuned right and few more psi than stock boost. And dont waste you're $$ on a BOV, she huffs and puffs with this intake enough to satisfy your ears at least until you put on a catback. Waiting to do the whole exhaust at 1 time now I have a hi-flo catted downpipe with an SR*S tail that resembles the Cobb.
    DP & SR*S was around $700 together. Stage 1 is fun, but jonesin' for Stage 2...

Last edited by DirtModJunkie; 11-25-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    If you are doing a full exhaust then you will def need a tune.
    A tune is only required on 04+ wrxs although if he's going to spend the money on the parts, it doesn't make sense to not tune it, as the power gains will be minimal.

YOU WILL NEED A TUNE for these mod plans. (accessport, protune, etc.)
    Just to clarify for the OP, an accessport off the shelf tune cannot be used with the mods you are considering. They either have stage 1 (stock and/or intake and/or cat back) or stage 2 (full exhaust or full exhaust + approved intake). There is no map for a MBC so if you go that route you will need a protune or an opensource tune

Quote Originally Posted by CaQuin View Post
    Sorry for the Noob response/question, but does this only apply for the older wrx?
    02-05 wrxs only. The oem uppipe had a cat in it. In 2006 we started getting catless uppipes so it doesn't apply to those models

OP, as stated skip the BOV. If you want extra noise google intake silencer delete. It will make swooshing noises without being annoying or harmful to your car

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.