help ? 03 wrx engine

This is a discussion on help ? 03 wrx engine within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well, last time i was here, i posted i did some upgrades to my car and half of the comments ...

help ? 03 wrx engine

well, last time i was here, i posted i did some upgrades to my car and half of the comments were that i did everything wrong and that i was wasting my money. Well now i have a problem. my engine is fu*k , i believe i have a bad rod and idk if i should try to repair it or just buy a new engine. im open to any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That depends on your budget, and what you want to do with the car..

i was waiting on the parts for stage 2 that are coming on the mail. right now my budget is 1670

here is the video of my engine wrx 03 engine knocking sound - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by najarcitox View Post
    right now my budget is 1670

Unless you're doing the work yourself, you are going to have to increase your budget just to get it running again. Removing and replacing the engine can cost over $1000 in labor alone.

i can do the swap but i dont feel confident enough to do the replacement of the rods

I Support ClubWRX
    I watched this video a while ago to learn more about putting together an short block. It looks very time consuming (for a novice) and a lot of meticulous work but looks like something I would like to do. Maybe it can help. Though if you feel comfortable taking out the engine maybe you can bring the short block to someone to to that work for you. Subaru STI Short Block Assembly - YouTube
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

First thing to do is make sure what the problem is. If the sound is coming from the bottom end I would drain the oil. If it has bearing material in it then pull the engine. If everything in the heads looks good you may be able to reuse them, but they will need to be cleaned throughly. If it were me and the problem is definitely a spun rod bearing, I would have a reputable shop completely rebuild the heads. Then either pick up a new OEM ej257 short block from Subaru and modify your combustion chambers, or reuse your ej205 case halves with an ej25 crank and rods, and some forged pistons for a 2.1L stroker. A lot of things should be flat out replaced, like the oil cooler, oil pump, tensoner.. should probably replace all the pulleys and water pump while you're at it.

thank you for your suggestions , i think im gonna take it to a shop and see what they say and how much would it be, hopefully is under $3000