Buying used from Subaru dealer vs private seller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buying used from Subaru dealer vs private seller within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hoping we eventually like ours. New to forum, new to Subaru. Bought a 2011 WRX w 27,000 miles. One previous ...

Buying used from Subaru dealer vs private seller

Hoping we eventually like ours. New to forum, new to Subaru.
    Bought a 2011 WRX w 27,000 miles. One previous owner and bought from a Subaru dealer in another state advertising on Autotrader. I was told had Perrin intercooler, aftermarket exhaust, and Ksport coilovers otherwise stock and excellent condition. Inspected and sold by the Subaru dealer. Saw the carfax and dealer pics on Autotrader.
    It arrived with a broken coilover, 2 bent rims, and a broken console between the bucket seats. The Subaru dealer we bought the car from blamed the trucking company they hired to transport for the coilover breakage. Since then have had numerous problems and now won't shift into 1st and 2nd gear - we have driven the car 1700 miles. Now the local Subaru dealer says can't cover tranny under warranty as car has been 'hot rodded' and 'modified' (referring to the Perrin tubes you can see under the hood and exhaust sound).
    This is simply a word of caution to those thinking of buying and thinking the cars are better if coming from a Subaru dealer vs private seller - may not be so.
    I know I know - I should have never bought a car like this over the internet even if 'low mileage own owner' from a Subaru dealer.
    Anyway I hope to get this car running good and being dependable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and good luck.

Unfortunately this is more of a "don't buy modified" case rather than "don't buy from a dealer" (although they don't seem to be helping the matter)

Search around and let us know if you have any questions

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I agree with her. ^^^ I actually prefer buying from a subaru dealership, as long as the vehicle meets the subaru requirments to make the car a subaru *certified pre-owned. If the car does not meet these expectations, there is a reason. Back to what Desiree said, never buy a modded vehicle. Hope all works out for you though OP. and welcome to the club
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

To the OP, good luck, man! I really hope you can get her back up and running propperly. My first subie was an '11 WRX that I'd bought private sale (guess I got REALLY lucky in that the guy's wife was using it as a DD). Good luck, dude!

Thanks everyone!

What state is the subaru dealership located?

It sounds like you bought a lemon, and presuming lemon laws, I would consider sending a demand letter describing all defects that were NOT disclosed before the sale and demanding they be repaired at no cost to yourself, unless they give you a full refund.

did you thoroughly check this car out before buying? From what you wrote it just sounds like you saw it online and bought it and had it shipped to you. That's a huge error on your part.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

We did ask Subaru corporate to look into. Heard back from a Subaru Customer/Dealer Services Representative and said he would look into but he has never contacted us again. Since then I have made attempts to follow up with him but I have never heard back.

Yep agree, I mention that in my original message.
    My point is warning to others - just because comes from a Subaru dealer and they tell you "low mileage, well maintained, always serviced, not abused, stock engine/no engine mods other than intercooler and exhaust" - I was told all of that by the salesman along with the car passing their dealer inspections/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    did you thoroughly check this car out before buying? From what you wrote it just sounds like you saw it online and bought it and had it shipped to you. That's a huge error on your part.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubWRX11 View Post
    My point is warning to others - just because comes from a Subaru dealer and they tell you "low mileage, well maintained, always serviced, not abused, stock engine/no engine mods other than intercooler and exhaust" - I was told all of that by the salesman along with the car passing their dealer inspections/etc.
    Well it should go without saying that salesmen will tell you anything. This is why you NEVER take a sales department at their word, you have to examine it for yourself.

Welcome to the club, and best of luck getting the car fixed up again. It's too bad your intro to Subarus had to start off on a sour note, but this is why we highly encourage new people to the brand to share online car listings here before purchasing, so more experienced members can give a general opinion before looking more seriously into the car. Of course, a third party mechanic experienced with turbocharged Subarus should always inspect the car in person before purchase. Burning a couple hundred bucks in the beginning could save you thousands in the long run.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

We did ask Subaru corporate to look into. Heard back from a Subaru Customer/Dealer Services Representative and said he would look into but he has never contacted us again. Since then I have made attempts to follow up with him but I have never heard back.
    You don't need to call Subaru Corporate. You need to call a lawyer!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Better call Saul

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Better call Saul
    The man's done wonders.

huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Better call Saul

I Support ClubWRX
    huh?
    It's a Breaking Bad reference.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast