2003 WRX - Beginning a journey

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX - Beginning a journey within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I wanted to introduce myself since I may be asking a lot of questions in the coming months. I was ...

tjm

2003 WRX - Beginning a journey

I wanted to introduce myself since I may be asking a lot of questions in the coming months. I was a fairly serious car guy when I was young but seem to do less of my own work every year - I'm 57. I let my older son get through high school without learning much about cars and I've been hoping to rectify that with the younger one. My older son inherited my 02 WRX. Yesterday I bought an 03 WRX with a blown engine. My intention is to have my younger son rebuild it under my supervision. I did not give too much thought to the engine since I was prepared to accept a total loss on it. OTOH, I figured I could get lucky and have a case, crank, rods, etc. that were serviceable. But I found some disturbing paperwork in the glove box. The car had the perfect story behind it and seemed like a good candidate. Carfax backed up the seller's story but not everything makes it into Carfax. The paperwork indicates that a used 2.5L was installed at some point. It mentions using the old turbo since the used one didn't include the turbo. A 2.5L in a 2003 WRX? Can that be done? I realize that I'll know a lot more when we get that engine out and I come up to speed on the current state of things Subaru but I thought I'd like to introduce myself here and maybe learn something from you guys.

At this point I figure all bets are off. For all I know some fool crammed a normally aspirated 2.5L in and hooked the turbo to it. As I said, I am beginning a journey. I am going forward with this one way or another! My son won't be the only one learning...

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yow. haha welcome!!!

....i dont recall any 02-04 wrx that came factory with a 2.5 id check the ej2??? stamp on top of the block. ill trust a block casting over paperwork any day

like so. should be near the left of the alt.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru parts from the 90s on up, for the large part, are widely interchangeable. You can put a 2.5L in an 03 no problem.. you can also put the 2L heads on a 2.5L block to make it even easier (which is what I would assume the previous owner did. If it's a semi-closed deck 2.5L shortblock (ej255/ej257) you should be at a good starting point for a nice hybrid rebuild.

tjm
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    yow. haha welcome!!!

....i dont recall any 02-04 wrx that came factory with a 2.5 id check the ej2??? stamp on top of the block. ill trust a block casting over paperwork any day

like so. should be near the left of the alt.
    It says EJ25!!! Thank you.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Nice! Welcome.

tjm
    I got carried away and thought the EJ25 was stock for the 2003 WRX. It is a newer 2.5L motor, isn't it?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I got carried away and thought the EJ25 was stock for the 2003 WRX. It is a newer 2.5L motor, isn't it?

Perhaps.. although the EJ25 was first introduced to the US in 1996. Subaru EJ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tjm
    Ok. I should probably start doing some reading...

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Subaru parts from the 90s on up, for the large part, are widely interchangeable. You can put a 2.5L in an 03 no problem.. you can also put the 2L heads on a 2.5L block to make it even easier (which is what I would assume the previous owner did. If it's a semi-closed deck 2.5L shortblock (ej255/ej257) you should be at a good starting point for a nice hybrid rebuild.
    thats cool! thanks mainframe! hmm.....no replacement for displacement lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html