Proud new owner of first Subaru!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Proud new owner of first Subaru! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey fellow WRX owners, got my first WRX....which I call Sonic...about a month ago and couldn't be happier, it's definitely ...

Proud new owner of first Subaru!

Hey fellow WRX owners, got my first WRX....which I call Sonic...about a month ago and couldn't be happier, it's definitely a head turner and it's fun to drive and can't wait for the upcoming winter to see what it can really do. I have a few questions concerning mods, cleaning and troubleshooting. Since it's my first car with a hood scoop and turbo, I'd like to know if it's ok to take it through a brushless car wash or it's a better idea to wash it by hand, I don't want to mess up anything with the engine. Then I'd like to find out what are some good first upgrades that will add some HP but won't destroy my MPG or my wallet. I was thinking of putting on a K&N typhoon air filter kit and Magnaflow catback exhaust with downpipe to start and then eventually a short throw shifter...any suggestions on those or any other parts?? Also, is there any common problems that I should be aware of or look out for. Thanks, and glad to be part of the WRX family now, it's cool to have a car that's kinda rare in my area and so when I do see someone else with one liking passing on the road, they give me a wave or a head nod and it's kinda cool cause we know we part of an elite group.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User ClosetSubyLover's Avatar
    If the car you just bought is your avatar then you are going to need a tune if you want to run a new down pipe. Getting a tune for said car whether it be a COBB AP or Protune which is a tune for specifically your car, then it could get a little pricey...

New V3 COBB Accessports are $650+ but you could find a used "unmarried" one for like $300-400.

If you went the Protune route, a good reputable tune could be around the same price... ($300-600)
    --2004 Stage 2 JBP WRX Sedan--

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    As far as the car wash, hand wash it. For the sake of the paint. Turbocharger and hood scoop makes no difference running it through the car wash.

For your first mods, do some suspension bushing, or the short throw. Those are just what I would prefer to do first. If you want power then start with a tune+downpipe. Just go slow, one mod at a time. Check out the stickies, there's a thread called, "first mods what to do and not to do." Read that and it should get you started on a plan.

Welcome

yes the car in the avatar is mine ClosetSubyLover, and thanks for the advice...looks like a majority of the people somehow or another mention the Cobb Accessport and skip the stage 1 tune and go right to stage 2 so if that works for almost everyone then I'm thinking that's the way I'm gonna go sometime down the line. and thanks Wreckingball, I knew handwashing it would be best cause the car I had before had so many swirl marks on it from going to the car wash that it kinda ruined the paint and I don't want that to happen to this awesome looking car...and I will take a look at that thread also.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Subaru paint is extra soft, I ran through a car wash once during the winter when it warmed up for about two weeks, I had salt on it and I wanted it off since it was getting warm. Never again, I had pretty deep swirls from that wash.

I'm gonna get a good wash kit together with a wash mitt, and detailing clothes and stuff and just go that route, safer and cheaper and I'll be sure that everything gets cleaned instead of only 70% of the car.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.