About to buy an STi. A few questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on About to buy an STi. A few questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, My girlfriend and I were looking at a used 2010 WRX STi Hatch 5D in DGM with about ...

About to buy an STi. A few questions

Hey everyone, My girlfriend and I were looking at a used 2010 WRX STi Hatch 5D in DGM with about 13690 miles on it. I went myself the first time and drove it, and then brought her yesterday so she could drive it. We want to start signing today but I have a few questions you more experienced individuals could hopefully help me out with.

The price is listed at $31,000. I know these cars hold their value really well, but I feel like a more realistic number might be $28-29,000, based on my research. The car has also been on the lot since Oct 4th, so I feel like I could probably haggle it down a tad. Realistically I would like to get it for $29,000. Some input as far as pricing and value would be nice so I know where we should be at.

Also, I am pretty new to the WRX/STi scene, so I'm not sure if there is anything I should look for specifically on the car/questions I should ask that might raise a red flag. From what I can tell the car looks beautiful and kept very clean. Clutch feels great and everything is very smooth. It had one previous owner who didn't drive it much, so he sold it back to the dealership, hence the low mileage. Here is the listing for the car: Used 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX For Sale | Jenkintown PA

Thank you all in advance. I'm very excited to hopefully make my first STi purchase and I want to make sure I am not getting shafted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Make sure the car is unmodified, one owner, and be sure to get a compression and leakdown test performed before purchase. Good luck!
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

That front grille looks modified? And 31,000 I think would definitely be too much in my opinion. That car is not a limited trim, no moonroof, no fog lights, no steering wheel bluetooth controls. I'm willing to make a bet the dealer bought the car for ~22,000-24,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    That front grille looks modified? And 31,000 I think would definitely be too much in my opinion. That car is not a limited trim, no moonroof, no fog lights, no steering wheel bluetooth controls. I'm willing to make a bet the dealer bought the car for ~22,000-24,000.
    Yeah the front grill must be modified. The STi badge isn't there and the trim around the Subaru emblem isn't normal. However, that is just an aesthetic and really doesn't bother me.

At that price why don't u and your girlfriend go buy a brand new wrx? Unless you guys really want that extra sti power... what are your plans with it? And that grill looks super off. Do your research before u buy this car. There's a lot of stickies and threads that show you what to look for in buying a used wrx/sti

There is defiantly wiggle room in that price. Put on your negotiating hat!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    At that price why don't u and your girlfriend go buy a brand new wrx? Unless you guys really want that extra sti power... what are your plans with it? And that grill looks super off. Do your research before u buy this car. There's a lot of stickies and threads that show you what to look for in buying a used wrx/sti
    I really want the STi. I know I'll be kicking myself later for not getting it. Why take the hamburger when you want the steak? We also had some trouble finding a new DGM WRX in our area. And when we did find one, it sold before we could hop on it.

Yeah what I was hinting at was since the front grille looks modified, what else was modified? It looks suspicious

Nothing else as far as I can tell. Everything else looks stock.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyP View Post
    ... Why take the hamburger when you want the steak? ...
    Whoa there.. Wrx is to sti, as fillet mignon is to porterhouse.

I Support ClubWRX
    The grill looks to be the Chrome Sport grill option and that year didn't have steering wheel Bluetooth control. Its up to you if you want the STI but for that price I would rather go new just what I would do. Though its ultimately up to you but do some more research just to play it safe.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL

cflip2x 2012 WRB WRX

For that price you can get a new Sti and not notice the difference in monthly payments. I would hold off. I was patient and got my car for invoice just by not jumping the gun.

Good luck with the car buy though!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Buy new.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

The problem with buying new is that starting prices are higher and harder to haggle. We were looking at new STi's before and the ones we liked were around $38,000. Compared to $31,000 (and now being haggled lower, working on $29,000), that's a pretty noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Whoa there.. Wrx is to sti, as fillet mignon is to porterhouse.
    Well said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast