Hope to soon become a WRX owner

This is a discussion on Hope to soon become a WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I used to drive a Corolla XRS 2012 until it was stolen right in front of my house. It was ...

Hope to soon become a WRX owner

I used to drive a Corolla XRS 2012 until it was stolen right in front of my house. It was my first MT and I absolutely loved it. As I'm currently shopping for a new car, I've narrowed down to a WRX and the new Mazda 3 Sport GS 2014. Mazda does have a history of rust, and although there seems to have some improvements over the last few years, that's still the first thing that crosses my mind. After test-driving the WRX, I felt that everything is better than the XRS except for the shifter feel. I'm almost certain to get a WRX, but I still have a couple of concerns that you WRX owners may be able to help me with:

1) As the WRX is turbocharged, is there any additional maintenance that needs to be done like cleaning the inside of the turbo, clean the hood scoop, etc?

2) I live in Canada, and you can be certain there are snowstorm. I have a set of 16" winter tires on steel rims. I'm wondering if they'll fit the WRX? I tried looking in the tire thread in this forum, and someone has the same tire as I do P205/55R 16, yet he didn't mention what rims he had. My steel rims are of the following spec:
    Wheel Diameter: 16-inch
    Wheel Width: 6.5-inch
    Bolt Pattern: 5 - 100mm
    Hub Bore: 54.10mm
    Offset 45.00mm
    Centricity: Hub Centric

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Those wheels should be fine. I tried to look on Tirerack but cant find the exact offset for the wheels but I have the steel wheels for my winter set up.

as for cleaning the turbo I dont believe you need to just make sure the car has oil and an air filter and the turbo should be fine. If you are sticking with a top mount inter cooler dont block the hood scoop. I can under stand your questions but its a simple and no worries your just over thinking things. The only difference with the wrx is it takes premium fuel where the Mazda takes regular.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wrx hubbore is actually different. It's 56.1 so that will cause fitment issues

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^She's right

Of course having a turbocharged engine there's more parts and therefore more parts available to fail, but that dosn't really mean much. Just keep oil and coolant in the engine along with keeping the maint. schedule outlined in the service manual and it will be fine for many miles. To answer your question, there's no additional maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Wrx hubbore is actually different. It's 56.1 so that will cause fitment issues
    Thanks girl. So I guess I'll either have a machine shop enlarge my rims' hub bore size a bit or get a new set... Too bad, they're just a year old.
    Midnight~

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    as for cleaning the turbo I dont believe you need to just make sure the car has oil and an air filter and the turbo should be fine. If you are sticking with a top mount inter cooler dont block the hood scoop. I can under stand your questions but its a simple and no worries your just over thinking things. The only difference with the wrx is it takes premium fuel where the Mazda takes regular.
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Of course having a turbocharged engine there's more parts and therefore more parts available to fail, but that dosn't really mean much. Just keep oil and coolant in the engine along with keeping the maint. schedule outlined in the service manual and it will be fine for many miles. To answer your question, there's no additional maintenance.
    If maintenance is as simple as regular compact cars, then I'm not worried. This WRX will be my everyday car, and occasionally, I'll take it on hills with curvy roads because I love driving. I live close to work, so I'm not using that much gas to begin with. A full tank of gas on my XRS lasts for 3 weeks to a month and I'm expecting about the same even though fuel economy is slightly worst than my XRS. Premium fuel or not, it's a difference I'll live with. I have yet to hear and to read common issues with the WRX line; they were all isolated issues, so I'm confident about its reliability.

I've also read that because it's a turbo, I'll need a bit more time for engine warm up before reving the engine too high, and I'll need to idle it down (for cool down) before shutting the engine off. Is this true?
    Midnight~

^^ Just be cautious not to run the car hard before it's warmed up, as you should with any car. As someone said, you're way over thinking it. Subaru didn't make these cars knowing they would only fall into the hands of intelligent and ultra careful owners. It's a fairly tough car with 4 wheels, and a motor. It's not made of porcelain.

Don't be afraid of the turbo charger. It's a proven reliable way to make power. It doesn't require any extra maintenance. Just change the oil every 7k miles. Use as much common sense with the WRX as you would with any other car.

As for the shifter feel, if you're looking for glass smooth shifts, you're looking at the wrong car. I have the SPT short shifter from the factory (I highly recommend) and my car shifts just fine. This WRX has a little bit of a rugged side, which is kind of the appeal. If you want your shifts (and your torque) to feel like you're playing a video arcade game, get a civic Si.

I've owned some decent Jap cars like my 03 Sentra Spec V, my 09 civic Si, and my 08 350z touring. Just get the WRX and you'll ask yourself wtf you were waiting for, just like I did. As for the XRS and Mazda Speed 3, they don't hold a candle to the looks and performance of the WRX.

The only reason I would say not to buy the car is if you're looking for really nice interior and a nice stereo. Otherwise, quit ****ing around and buy the car, before you make the wrong decision like I did on my last 2 cars before my 2013 WRX.

Nice interior and stereo is not a priority, but I would still want my parents and their senior friends to feel comfortable in the backseats. As for the shifter, I know I'll get used to it eventually. I already have a Logitech G25 still going strong so I don't need a Civic Si.

I'll test-drive it again this Thursday, and I'll the trigger if a good deal is given to me.
    Midnight~

I Support ClubWRX
    For the shifter most people opt for the Kartboy and new shifter bushings. are you looking to get any options?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I did look at Kartboy because that's what I've read in here. The price is fair, but as I'm in Canada, shipping and duty would make it relatively expensive. I was thinking about TWM Performance's short shifter because I live just 20 minutes from their warehouse.

In addition, I'm also thinking getting WeatherTech floor liners and cargo liner and RallyArmor mudflaps. Just checked the price online, and I'll see if any local retailers can give me a fair price as there's the pre-Winter promotion sale right now in my area.
    Last edited by Raymond_Tengen; 11-12-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added another paragraph
    Midnight~

I Support ClubWRX
    if you are going weather tech spend the extra money and get the digital. For mud flaps some people have made some from flexible cutting boards from Ikea.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Yeah, I plan on getting the digital ones. As for the flexible cutting boards, I'll think about that one. Thanks for suggesting~
    Midnight~

First date and it's under a snow storm:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Midnight~

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond_Tengen View Post
    First date and it's under a snow storm:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    congrats on purchase looking good. i'm also a new '12 wrx owner and love it. so smooth and responsive motor.

Yeah, the car just loves to travel anywhere in the powerband willingly without much effort. It's fantastic. Still not used to the pedal with snow boots, but it'll only be a matter of time before the feeling settles down. I can't wait to drive in some curvy mountain roads once the engine is broken.
    Midnight~