New 2011 WRX owner, with some questions about modding.

This is a discussion on New 2011 WRX owner, with some questions about modding. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Everyone, I just picked up a 2011 wrx hatchback in rally blue - I have been interested in getting ...

Hi Everyone,
    I just picked up a 2011 wrx hatchback in rally blue - I have been interested in getting one of these cars and I came across this car with 16000 miles on it and I couldn't pass it up. I've had an impreza before (a 1998 that I drove into the ground) and I've been a huge subaru fan ever since. I'm no stranger to car modding. I had a 2000 Mustang GT with a built motor, supercharger, and methanol injection that made an honest 450whp (lost it in a flood, one of the saddest days of my life ). Anyway, that car taught me a lot of lessons that I want to transfer over to this car.

First, I need to keep it very reliable. I realized with my other car that the more aftermarket parts that ended up on it, the more bugs and glitches I encountered. Every time I smelled something burning I would panic, assuming it was coming from my car.

Second, there is such a thing as too much power. My car made too much. I had 315 nitto drag radials on the back and they were useless - I could smoke the tires at 50 just by flooring it. This is a large part of the reason I went AWD this time.

Last, I have kids now and I am very interested in keeping the car driveable and quiet. I don't want to lower it and have to take speed bumps at an angle or slow down to a crawl to avoid scraping my bumper on a driveway entrance. I don't want it to be too loud or draw too much attention.

Driving this car has been a learning experience. My supercharger car had no noticeable step in power - the higher the rpm, the more power it made. This car has a definite kick around 3k which is interesting, and i also notice that it runs out of steam about 750 rpm or more before redline. The turbo lag is what it is, I'm not too worried about it. I would like to beef up the top end though. That is what I would like to focus on. Is that a limitation of the turbo itself or is there a bottleneck somewhere else?

Anyway, I've done my research and I'd definitely like to keep the stock catback but go with the cobb AP and catted DP (stage 2). I'm going to stay with the stock suspension stuff for the reasons I mentioned already. Is cobb generally considered the most reliable aftermarket manufacturer? I see that their stuff costs a little more but I'm happy to pay a few dollars more if the quality is good. Beyond the stage 2 upgrade, what else helps the top end power?

I don't really have a target in terms of horsepower numbers, just want to have some fun and tinker with the car while improving a weakness I've noticed.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi, that's a nice car. Your goals are realistic. Try the Stg2 first, see what you think, it could be fine.

Cobb is neither unreliable nor inexpensive. There are DIY mapping options and other exhausts but the Cobb stuff is easy and easy to sell later too.

I think you've seen the stuff in the link in my sig from what you've said but have a look if not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

A follow up question -

I have read in several places that the stock tune from subaru is horrible. I'm noticing that the power delivery seems uneven at times. Like in 2nd gear, accelerating onto the highway i'll notice that the torque delivery seems a little jagged. It's inconsistent though, sometimes it pulls like a beast and other times it is how I described. Also, are these cars known for having noisy drivetrains? I've noticed sometimes that when I go from reverse to first gear, or into reverse from neutral there is sometimes a slight clunk from the rear. It's not disturbing, but it's there.

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States

Quote Originally Posted by gtramontelli View Post
    A follow up question -

I have read in several places that the stock tune from subaru is horrible. I'm noticing that the power delivery seems uneven at times. Like in 2nd gear, accelerating onto the highway i'll notice that the torque delivery seems a little jagged. It's inconsistent though, sometimes it pulls like a beast and other times it is how I described. Also, are these cars known for having noisy drivetrains? I've noticed sometimes that when I go from reverse to first gear, or into reverse from neutral there is sometimes a slight clunk from the rear. It's not disturbing, but it's there.
    The hated rear diff. clunk. Lol. Can easily be fixed with some beefier bushings or inserts. whiteline makes some good options

And yes, our drivetrains make some noise.

EDIT: and on the topic of bushings, there are some good packages out there that will really beef up the driveline, sub frames and shifting. Really helps tighten the car's handling and helps keep power under your tires.

Sidenote, even with the little extra NVH, the ride is good. My newborn son actually enjoys the added vibration; it's like a baby- shiatsu: puts him to sleep in 10 minutes.

Sent from my iBone
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

What about the power delivery? Is my experience pretty typical too?

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Have you looked at your MAF? Could be a little dirty if it's inconsistent, no?

But yes, factory tune can always be made better.

Sent from my iBone
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)