Yet Another Converted Volkswagen Head.

This is a discussion on Yet Another Converted Volkswagen Head. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys and gals. Just stopping in to introduce myself. I've been wrenching on cars and motorcycles for the better ...

Yet Another Converted Volkswagen Head.

Hey guys and gals. Just stopping in to introduce myself. I've been wrenching on cars and motorcycles for the better part of two decades and have worked on just about anything from 70's muscle, watercooled VW's, and a wide variety of bikes. I've built motors, rebuilt transmissions, custom fabricated a few parts and generally am too dumb to leave **** well enough alone.

My last project was a '90 VW Golf that when I was done was making around 300whp, a big bump from its pre-build 79whp I miss the car already, but my '09 WRX is helping heal my wounds.

I look forward to learning more about the Subaru platform, and although this car has to haul my five month old daughter around reliably so modding will be pretty limited, asking n00b questions. Even us experienced guys have plenty of learning to do

My turbo Golf

My Ducati Monster

The bike prepped for the zombie apocalypse (or tree removal)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That Golf looks nice and clean. Must have surprised a number of people, when they suddenly see only the rear...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

The whole build was started on the premise of making tasteful minor exterior modifications and making usable safe power. With it being wrong wheel drive 300 wheel was about the upper limit before I was just buying more tires. The limited slip can only do so much to fight physics.

With a 2300lbs vehicle and 300 horses... not much gets in the way. There is nothing better than a good sleeper and the resulting faces on folks you encounter. That's probably my only gripe with my WRX, everyone knows it has some git.

Welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome!
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome! I love your old golf, I've always had a soft spot for golfs and gti's... My only hangup on the gti's is that they're wrong wheel drive and kinda slow outa-the-box... The wrx and sti are really good platforms to start with!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

They're slow out of the box for sure, but they go together like Legos. You find what you like from one generation and in a lot of cases it literally bolts up to another. Mine was a MkII chassis, with a MkIII motor, and a MkI transmission! No custom fabrication, just swapping a few motor mounts and it worked.

The big draw with VW for me was that even the base motors had insane power potential. I could buy a low mileage 2.0L long block for $200 (my motor was actually free for some repair work), throw 20psi at it all day and not even have to swap any internals. The newer ones are far more complicated, but for making cheap power they're hard to beat.

Unfortunately the WRX won't see much power modding since it has to be stone cold reliable. I picked it up to have a safe vehicle to cart my daughter around (I got nervous having her in the Golf with it being made out of 23 year old German beer cans and no airbags...) without feeling like I've lost my edge and gotten old

That golf is very well done and looks incredibly clean! Thank you for keeping it classy and functional to use that power. So many people in the VW world would slam it down so low that they can't even use the power created from that turbo. Did you ever get any flack from the VW crowd for not slamming it? Any pics of the engine bay?

And keep in mind that you could certainly go upwards of Stage 2 and maintain good reliability in the WRX. Even a Stage 1 tune is beneficial since the stock tune is terrible.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

You will always have the flatbills squawking about 'needz moar low hurhurhur' but they usually quiet down when they hear the turbo spool. I'll have to dig and see what I have of the engine bay. I have a ton of build photos but they aren't uploaded anywhere other then Facebook.

Yeah, I was doing some logging and the stock tune is pretty meh. I'm in the midst of a lot of research (prerequisite for any new car purchase) but am open to suggestion for something just to get on something cleaner (not even necessarily more power) than the stock maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    That golf is very well done and looks incredibly clean! Thank you for keeping it classy and functional to use that power. So many people in the VW world would slam it down so low that they can't even use the power created from that turbo. Did you ever get any flack from the VW crowd for not slamming it? Any pics of the engine bay?

And keep in mind that you could certainly go upwards of Stage 2 and maintain good reliability in the WRX. Even a Stage 1 tune is beneficial since the stock tune is terrible.
    I'll second that on the "at least stage 1" boat.

Also, Mikie, I've found a VW forum that hates on the herraflush guys as much as we do. Thank god.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Back up off me in someone else's intro thread...BRO.
    - Will