New girl in need of tire advice (2009 WRX)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New girl in need of tire advice (2009 WRX) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, So excited to be here, and to have my new(ish) WRX. I have a 2009 WRX 4-door sedan ...

New girl in need of tire advice (2009 WRX)

Hello all, So excited to be here, and to have my new(ish) WRX. I have a 2009 WRX 4-door sedan and am in need of new tires. I live in Colorado and need a tire that can be safe in the snow. That being said I also do not have the money at this time to purchase a set of winter AND summer tires. I know having 2 sets of tires is the ideal situation, but at the moment it is not in my budget. I need a reccomendation for a good tire that is an ultra high performance all weather tire.
    I have been looking at Yokohamas, does anyone have an opinion on these (the AVID Envigor's)? Are they good in the snow? I have Yoko's on my car now, and I like the way they grip the road, but I have not driven them in many conditions. So opinions would be helpful, I do not want to buy something that is inappropriate for my car or affects the ride in a negative way. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There will be some people who will chime in with "great" all season tires, but I feel obligated to push for two sets of tires...It is pretty much winter tire season. There are a few pretty good deals on winter tires and steelies (even on here) around. I would say go for those and then save up for summer tires over the winter to put on your stock wheels. I really can't tell you how much better dedicated winter tires are than all season. Especially in a snowy environment like CO.

I can't really give any good advice on all seasons, because it has been almost 4 years since I have used them (and I don't miss them).

BTW - Welcome!

I'm with 11blackSTi. I mentally fought getting 2 sets of tires (waste of money, they can't be that much better, etc) until I found a deal on some older wrx rims, then I just decided to do it.

I'll never go back to 'all-weather' (i.e. no weather) tires again.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Winters will ALWAYS be better than A/S. If someone tells you otherwise, they don't know anything about tires. Good, inexpensive, but still reputable winter tires are: Generals and Dunlops. Best out there are Nokians. I'd recommend go this route, put it on a credit card, and pay it down.

If you HAVE to get A/S tires, I ran goodyear Eagle GTs on my old Honda Accord, which was FWD. Only a few times where I had a scare, but with AWD, it'll be better. Just don't drive like a maniac (I love the snow so those scares were my own fault).
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I currently have the Yokohama AVID Envigors on my 11 wrx sedan. Got them put on in late January of this year so I only used them a few times in the snow and they performed well. I like the tires over all as they are wearing well and have taken a lot of abuse from pot holes and bumps. My only complaint about them is that they are very loud in my opinion. I've used Continental Extremecontact DWS (All seasons) before this and liked them because they were quieter but they didn't last long at all and were nearing replacement around 25k miles. Currently have 15k on the Yokos and still have plenty of tread to go although I am kind of looking forward for them wearing out so I can get something quieter. Might pick up some new wheels and summer tires in the spring and just use these in the winter until they wear out and get actual snows to replace them

Thanks guys for all the tips! I guess I will do more research on winter tires and see where it leads me. At what point do you usually put on/take off winter tires? Thanks for being so helpful.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SoobyDo View Post
    Thanks guys for all the tips! I guess I will do more research on winter tires and see where it leads me. At what point do you usually put on/take off winter tires? Thanks for being so helpful.
    Tire Rack is actually a wealth of knowledge about winter tires. Here's why winter tires are better. Usually, it's recommended to change your summer tires over to winter tires when it's consistently below 50 degrees. Winter tires are not only good for snow traction, but also help in lower temperatures as summer tires do not get as good traction in temps below 50.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    There are a few pretty good deals on winter tires and steelies (even on here) around. I would say go for those and then save up for summer tires over the winter to put on your stock wheels. I really can't tell you how much better dedicated winter tires are than all season. Especially in a snowy environment like CO.
    This is going to be the best advice we can give you. Buy a used set of winters (with or without wheels, depending on what you need) and then save up over winter for a set of summers.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Keep an eye on craigslist. I just got a set of practically new blizzaks for $350. It may be more difficult to find some in durango, but there are always a few sets around denver and the ski towns (mainly vail and breck). Maybe you could convince someone to meet halfway for the right price.

Here is a pic of my WRX, being new to the group, just thought you might like to see it. Thanks for all the advice, I can get lost for days on tire rack. Its a great website. Hope to speak to you all soon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1383678208471.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Car looks good!

For me timing of tire swap is dependent on weather...Although below 50 summers start to lose their effectiveness, I typically wait until temps are consistently under/over 40 degrees before I swap. Mostly due to the fact that in Maine if you are getting 50 degrees, then a 60-70 deg random day is not out of the question, and that will eat up the winters quickly. So that translates to roughly mid/late November the winters go on, and mid/late April the summers come back on.

Agree with what has been said. I found 04/05 WRX wheels for $150 on NASIOC and got winter tires. If you go two sets, gets 16s. They will lower the price of tires significantly and give you more cushion. My winter setup are taller than my summers on 17s.

If you have to go all season I heard the continentals aren't a bad choice

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

for me, there is only one(albit for me its not so much) small, tiny problem with two sets of tires. storage. and thats it. but i have a garage. or i can keep them at the shop because cool boss, but thats me. everything else and then some is a plus for your driving when using a dedicated snow tire. some are better than others sure but almost every one(even the off brand ultra cheap snows) are better than even a mid to high level all season in the snow and most importantly...the ice. ice is the deal breaker for any all season. sure, when i bought my 02 almost a year ago it was during one of the worst snowstorms of the year and i drove it home 9 hours(should have been 6) with white knuckles but i made it on worn all seasons. my first mod was snow tires, inexpensive firestone winterforce. and they have been on for two weeks already. the difference is so much in the winter its almost silly. and judging by the weather you guys are already having down in the big C you might need a set just to get out of the driveway haha. for cost....id go with a new set(be careful if you get a set used please. another subaru owner would be best and have them checked out before you have them mounted by a good shop) and run the tires you have out another summer to save up for a new set of summers/ all season tires. just a tire guy's .02c
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I went with some inexpensive winter tires and got the tires swapped onto the factory rims, costs about $45 to swap the winters on. Might be a good option for this year and allow you to save up and get a set of rims. I did this because I planne don getting new summer rims in the future and keeping the stocks for winter.
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2

If I lived in Colorado, I wouldn't even consider All-Seasons. Winter is already creeping up on you, so just spring for Winters now since that's what you need. Then save up for the next 4-5 months for new Summers. Don't waste time/money on All-Seasons considering they aren't really all that good in any season.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast