New girl in need of tire advice (2009 WRX) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New girl in need of tire advice (2009 WRX) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i managed just fine in boston with yokohoma avs all-season 18's. granted, they were crappy tires, but they worked just ...

i managed just fine in boston with yokohoma avs all-season 18's. granted, they were crappy tires, but they worked just fine in the snow. but then again, i spent most of my life in a RWD mustang and managed to drive that through plenty of snow. learning how to drive in the snow properly is KEY. take it to an empty parking lot when it's snowing like mad and practice, practice, practice. now your cars limits.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Im going to follow everyone's advice and go with winter tires and save up for summer tires over the next few months. Any reccommendations on affordable options? Has anyone ever used the General Altimax Arctic or the Continental Extreme Winter Contact? They are the most affordable on tire rack, and they don't seem to get bad reviews, but I appreciate the opinion of those who own subarus over other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by SoobyDo View Post
    Im going to follow everyone's advice and go with winter tires and save up for summer tires over the next few months. Any reccommendations on affordable options? Has anyone ever used the General Altimax Arctic or the Continental Extreme Winter Contact? They are the most affordable on tire rack, and they don't seem to get bad reviews, but I appreciate the opinion of those who own subarus over other cars.
    Many people around here do use either one of those simply because of the price points. Never heard a bad thing about either honestly.

NitroNate also nailed it...learn the car's mannerisms while you are at it. Knowing the car is as good as what tires you have on it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Not cheap, but from what I understand, they are supposed to be very very good.
    '11 WRX DGM

I have mounted up a few pairs of the conti's from people buying off the 'rack'. Some have for a few years now and they seem happy with them. Tire wear is good even on ranch gravel roads. I haven't had any experience with the general's yet.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

You might want to look into what the actual difference is between budget snow tires and really high quality ones like Blizzaks. I know when I was looking at tires I was looking at the same ones you were and I found that Blizzaks were only about $20 more a tire at a local shop. Now I'm going into my 4th season on them and they still are in really good shape (even though I put ~24k miles on my car per year) and are incredible in the snow.

As far as when to switch them out... a good friend of mine is a manager at a local tire shop and his advice is to swap them out as soon as it is cold enough to see your breath in the morning. Just make sure you take them off as soon as things start to warm up in the spring, hot roads will absolutely shred snow tires.

I Support ClubWRX
    One thing to check out before you order from tirerack...If you have local tire shops (like TownFairTire), they will often match the lowest online price you can find and then do free mounting/balancing/and sometimes alignment. That can save you a ton of money. Also, if you do go online, check out Mr. Refunds.com. You can sign up and then go to websites through their website and get cash back on a lot of purchases. I think I got $75 in cash back when I ordered my summer tires.

I just put the Atricmax's on two days ago on my '13 WRX. Tire Rack had them with steelies shipped for $720. They got great reviews and my buddy has run them on all his cars for a while and has had nothing but good to say about them.

I live in Salt Lake City and I have Toyo Proxes 4's on my wrx and I had them scipped and I haven't had any problems with lack of traction... Also yes I know that dedicated winter tires are best in snow just so I don't get in a pissing contest with someone... I just state my experiences with what I have and it's worked out just fine for me, so make your own judgement...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI, I will be running the General Altimax Arctics this winter based on overwhelming positive forum response from before this thread went up.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

In my experience, the biggest difference between all-seasons and snow tires on these cars isn't really in the traction getting started, up a hill, turning, etc... the AWD does a great job with that. But AWD doesn't help you stop.

If you are a safe, smart driver you can usually get by stopping on all-seasons when you know that a stop is coming up. But it's those fast, hard, emergency stops that really need the traction that only comes from the sticky rubber of dedicated snow tires.

I have a lot of friends who insist they are fine with their all-seasons because they haven't had to slam on their brakes in the snow yet. Sure, it feels fine rolling around... but the first time you slide into something/someone you're going to spend a lot more coin that you would have on the proper tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    In my experience, the biggest difference between all-seasons and snow tires on these cars isn't really in the traction getting started, up a hill, turning, etc... the AWD does a great job with that. But AWD doesn't help you stop.

If you are a safe, smart driver you can usually get by stopping on all-seasons when you know that a stop is coming up. But it's those fast, hard, emergency stops that really need the traction that only comes from the sticky rubber of dedicated snow tires.

I have a lot of friends who insist they are fine with their all-seasons because they haven't had to slam on their brakes in the snow yet. Sure, it feels fine rolling around... but the first time you slide into something/someone you're going to spend a lot more coin that you would have on the proper tires.
    Excellent post...and one of the most overlooked aspects to those who are new to AWD.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post

This is totally true, the person I bought my subaru from told me that all seasons would be fine, but that he was a safe driver. I have always had front wheel drive and so this will be my first AWD vehicle, not really sure what to expect in the snow. I think (especially in places like Colorado where we get a lot of snow) people think that having an all wheel drive vehicle automatically means safe in the snow, so people drive them like total jerks in unsafe conditions. It causes a lot of accidents here unfortunately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12