NOOB Question

This is a discussion on NOOB Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, so I'm getting my license in a few months and I have been doing some research on the WRX. ...

NOOB Question

Ok, so I'm getting my license in a few months and I have been doing some research on the WRX. I was looking to get one between 02-04. My main question was that does the WRX in these models come in automatic. I am just going to be driving around town. Should i learn how to drive stick if there are no automatics?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They do come in auto. I'd learn to drive manual though. More fun.

You should learn to drive manual.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Manual is definitely worth it and not hard, but I see autos for sale as well. I'd say 1 out of every 7 or so around where I live is an auto in that year range.

I live in MA and my uncle is going to take me for one at an auction. The only Standard Ive driven is a 98 Jeep Wrangler for a half hour. Im assuming there is a big difference as the jeep is older and was hard to shift.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The wrx is a hydraulic clutch, jeep could have been a cable. The shifter will also be shorter than the jeep. ...all I know is the wrx is not hard to shift after some seat time, it's a little harder than a honda and a little easier than a big vehicle like truck or jeep.

If you have a choice between standard or auto, I'd go with standard. It's definitely worth it.

thanks for the help. Ill let you guys know what I get depending on what they have.

Driving a manual, once you get the hang of it, is just a much more enjoyable experience.

Manual is a lot more fun...plus it builds skill and character. It also helps you pay attention to driving and operating the car more: something that I believe is very necessary for a youngin.

I'd be careful about finding cars at an auction...what you think is going to be a heck of a deal, could seriously end up becoming a headache since many of the older WRXs have been modded and beat up on.

Do a LOT of research before you purchase.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Automatic transmission vehicles will have a lower resale value, so be aware that they should be purchased for less than a comparable one with a manual transmission (~$1000-1500). As such, you will not get as much money down the road when you go to sell it again.

I prefer a manual transmission in any vehicle I drive, but especially one that's "sporty".
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Manual is a lot more fun...plus it builds skill and character. It also helps you pay attention to driving and operating the car more: something that I believe is very necessary for a youngin.

I'd be careful about finding cars at an auction...what you think is going to be a heck of a deal, could seriously end up becoming a headache since many of the older WRXs have been modded and beat up on.

Do a LOT of research before you purchase.
    +1 ^ You'll learn what driving is all about. But practice driving a stick on a beater. As I'm sure you'll surmise from some of the posts on this forum.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i think everyone should learn how to drive stick for safety/emergency purposes

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

^what she said

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"