Yet another new guy, but I'm really new!

This is a discussion on Yet another new guy, but I'm really new! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I have a very interesting story for ya. So I've been tuning for years, but never a turbo ...

Yet another new guy, but I'm really new!

Hi all, I have a very interesting story for ya. So I've been tuning for years, but never a turbo or Subaru and I've been out of the seen for awhile. I've had many euros and one of my cars was featured on the cover of euro tuner magazine. I can't take credit for the build on that one but it was acquired in trade from a car I built, deff not a cover car but well done. I was a VW guy for many years before I got married and had a kid. I had a few gti's none turbo but all fast including a 13 second 84 rabbit with a 2L. I've always loved the WRX and had thought about the leap many times while in my euro years. So I get married, sell all my toys and buy a truck. After six years or so I start to get the itch again. This time I have my mind set on a Subaru. I was going to buy a 2014 wrx sedan but having GTI's my whole life I loved the wagon/hatch. I actually ordered a 2014 sedan and while waiting the month for delivery I found a 2011 wagon with 25K on it cheap, so I bought it. I actually had fought with my wife for days about the car and she said no. So I got her drunk and and just kept on her till she said yes and bought it while she was sleeping in late the next day. I do not suggest this maneuver to anyone it wasn't smooth and I paid dearly for it. I was pumped, what a sweet ride, stock it has a ton of power and handles well. I wish I had started with the Subaru. So I've had the car for two weeks and I get rear ended by some guy doing 50! What a bummer, I tried to get the car totaled at first but the insurance company wouldn't budge. They said there was only 11k in damage and the salvage price was only 8500 so they insisted on fixing it. I decided at that point I would make a project car out of it even though my wife forbid me to. So my first mod, on the insurance, is a Cobb cat back to get her sounding pretty. As soon as I get it back I plan on doing the down pipe for extra flow and a couple of more ponies. Not ever tuned a turbo and remembering all the help I received on vwvortex while tuning my dubs, I decided to introduce myself here. With that said, what's next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy View Post
    Hi all, I have a very interesting story for ya. So I've been tuning for years, but never a turbo or Subaru and I've been out of the seen for awhile. I've had many euros and one of my cars was featured on the cover of euro tuner magazine. I can't take credit for the build on that one but it was acquired in trade from a car I built, deff not a cover car but well done. I was a VW guy for many years before I got married and had a kid. I had a few gti's none turbo but all fast including a 13 second 84 rabbit with a 2L. I've always loved the WRX and had thought about the leap many times while in my euro years. So I get married, sell all my toys and buy a truck. After six years or so I start to get the itch again. This time I have my mind set on a Subaru. I was going to buy a 2014 wrx sedan but having GTI's my whole life I loved the wagon/hatch. I actually ordered a 2014 sedan and while waiting the month for delivery I found a 2011 wagon with 25K on it cheap, so I bought it. I actually had fought with my wife for days about the car and she said no. So I got her drunk and and just kept on her till she said yes and bought it while she was sleeping in late the next day. I do not suggest this maneuver to anyone it wasn't smooth and I paid dearly for it. I was pumped, what a sweet ride, stock it has a ton of power and handles well. I wish I had started with the Subaru. So I've had the car for two weeks and I get rear ended by some guy doing 50! What a bummer, I tried to get the car totaled at first but the insurance company wouldn't budge. They said there was only 11k in damage and the salvage price was only 8500 so they insisted on fixing it. I decided at that point I would make a project car out of it even though my wife forbid me to. So my first mod, on the insurance, is a Cobb cat back to get her sounding pretty. As soon as I get it back I plan on doing the down pipe for extra flow and a couple of more ponies. Not ever tuned a turbo and remembering all the help I received on vwvortex while tuning my dubs, I decided to introduce myself here. With that said, what's next?
    I would suggest doing a ton of research, almost any mod on these cars other than a cat back requires a tune, even your downpipe. From what I've been reading, a stage two is most popular with people modding under the hood. But it's really up to you and all about what you want for your car. Here are some of the popular mods: up pipe, down pipe, RAM air intake, turbo inlet, bigger Top Mount Intercooler/front mount intercooler setup. Those are just the basic bolt-ons. There are many more complex mods to do.
    Last edited by McBill; 11-04-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added moar

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum. Like the guy above said,research,research before you throw well earned money into anything. Check out the stickies on the forum.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I've been doing a little research and did see that even an intake needs the fuel remapped but it has me very interested. One if my customers is really into Rex's and he was telling me about freeware I can get for my Mac to do some tuning. I found a couple of programs but they look very simple and old. Any suggestions? Or should I just grab that Cobb V3. That thing looks sweet and very user friendly, but $$$$$$$. I'm not looking for 400hp but I'd be happy with a good stance and 320hp over time. Just enough to be respected but not feared.
    Last edited by Mr.NiceGuy; 11-04-2013 at 10:31 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy View Post
    I've been doing a little research and did see that even an intake needs the fuel remapped but it has me very interested. One if my customers is really into Rex's and he was telling me about freeware I can get for my Mac to do some tuning. I found a couple of programs but they look very simple and old. Any suggestions? Or should I just grab that Cobb V3. That thing looks sweet and very user friendly, but $$$$$$$. I'm not looking for 400hp but I'd be happy with a good stance and 320hp over time. Just enough to be respected but not feared.

I was looking into tuning also. Check out the stickies on tuning. Around here people use the Cobb V3 or Romraider from what i've read. You'll learn all you need to know from the stickies.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^Good advice. Click the link in my signature if you're really *that new. Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    ^Good advice. Click the link in my signature if you're really *that new. Welcome
    Great thread, I enjoyed the read but it scared me a little with all the problems you ran into. My 11 rpm's dip a little while at a standstill sometimes! I hope it isn't my clutch, I just got the thing and it only has 30K on it. It's still in the shop from the accident so I'll have them look at it. I thought it was just how she ran and didn't think anything of it.

oh, haha. I was talking about the How to Search thread. I didn't read much of your original post and got the impression from reading the comments you were "new" in a different way. Nevermind me lol.

But thanks for reading my build thread, it's definitely nothing special at all. Just trying to keep my car on the road at this point. Do you have links of any kind with your previous cars? Sounds like you've got a few accolades.

I haven't been in the seen for awhile but I have a few pics I could post. this is my 84 GTI.

my 98 vr
    I'll have to search for my BMW pics it was before the iPhone, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss those cars, but it's only because my new one is in the shop now.

Well look at you lol. Nice cars

Ton of work, money and a whole lot of love. I was a member of OSD. Cool guys low dues and a ton of help. I did my first drop in my buddy's barn. That was fun, never forget that even though I was always working on something. Rue from RM pro tune built that 84. I built the vr, I have tons of pics, multiple mods and rims and TV's. I even had a xbox in it lol. That was before I got married now everything is under the radar. I like sleepers anyway. I search for meet ups a little in my area but there doesn't seem to be a lot. There is a guy down the street from me who has a sick Rex, I'm going to try and introduce myself next time I see him. I always hear him blasting by my house.