How much will 05 STi be on my Dad's Insurance. (Progressive) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How much will 05 STi be on my Dad's Insurance. (Progressive) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Lol thanks for all of the comments, wasn't sure how alive this site was. Yes, i still will try to ...

Lol thanks for all of the comments, wasn't sure how alive this site was. Yes, i still will try to get the STi, it's an 05 aspen white, clean record and only 50k miles. I live in Minnesota and i will call Progressive, it will be on my dad's insurance so it actually won't be on mine, i will just be notified as a driver - meaning insurance won't skyrocket and will probably be $120 or less. I'll try to keep you guys updated and maybe will help future problems like mine. Thanks for all the concerns though!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    What happens if you wreck it or get a ticket? ...since you're on your dads policy?

I've always had my own insurance and never drove my parents cars when I was a teen. So im ignorant on this.

Well that's a good thing you are, of course a wreck or a ticket is really the worst situation to get in if on your parents insurance. The thing is to remember that they are the people who know you best and i have explained everything i could about this car to them and they understand the dangers and seriousness of this car. The STi is just like any car, but more daring and tempting rather than a Toyota Corolla. They acknowledge that i'm responsible enough to not do anything stupid with this car, plus i'm the youngest of my 3 siblings and i have seen what they've gone through and I learn from their mistakes rather than me doing things the hard way. Sure i probably will never get anyone to trust me with this car online, but within a few months i'll grow into the car and adapt to it. Thanks for your concern!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Im asking what the repercussions are, not to defend yourself lol. If it were to happen how would it effect insurance premiums etc., is it any different than if you were on your own insurance?

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    I'm 20 and have an '04 wrx. my wife drives a '13 civic and our combined monthly insurance payment with Progressive is $214. but we both also dont have any tickets or wrecks on our record.
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WRXlimited View Post
    I was paying $1200 a year on my dads insurance
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    My insurance rate went down by a few $200-$300 a year after selling my 09 WRX and getting a 2013 STi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Docc99 View Post
    That's awesome. I pay about $100/month for my wife and I. Full coverage, $250 deductible
    Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    Im 20 with a perfect record and pay 125 for full coverage for my 2011 wrx.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonDisaster View Post
    22 with perfect record, and will be paying $100/month for full coverage when my 2014 WRX comes in januaryv

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    First of all, there is no such thing as full coverage. It's broken into 3 categories; liability, comprehensive and collision. Let's go over what this means. Liability covers you if you for property that you damage as the result of an at-fault accident. Comprehensive covers acts of God. A tree falling on your car, hail damage, deer in road, etc. Collision covers damages to your vehicle for anything else that you collide with. You can carry any combination of the 3, but lien holders may require that you carry a comprehensive and collision. All states require liability.

Second, all of this information is 100% worthless out of context. This doesn't provide any sort of insight as to the city in which you live, how much coverage you have, what your deductibles are, how old you are, your gender, your GPA (if you're a student), if you're married, own a home, have more than one vehicle, what your safety equipment is on your vehicle, if any anti-theft devices are installed on your vehicle, how many drivers are on your policy, what their driving record is like, who the primary driver of the WRX is, how many miles you drive it annually... All of these things play a factor in how much your monthly premium will be.

I pretty much find these threads to be a giant waste of time and effort. Mostly because the OP will get zero relevant information from anyone since an insurance policy will be tailored specifically to him.

Lastly, if anyone here carries low liability coverage amounts a high deductibles to keep your premium low, that's incredibly stupid. Your insurance company isn't responsible for any damages past your coverage amount. And in this litigious society, you could get screwed all because you wanted to save $50 bucks a month. If you think it can't happen to you, tell that to the kid that slid off the road, through a barn, killed two horses and burned the barn down. On accident. His coverage amount was 10k property damage. I don't know the going rate for barn raising these days, but I'm willing to bet the end result was not fortunate for him. So do yourselves a favor and raise your coverages and lower your deductibles. Also, carry rental insurance, it's a smart thing to have. Just take the hit in the wallet for a year or two because as long as you keep your record clean, your rates will drastically drop over time. Keep in mind that most big companies have an accident forgiveness policy. Trust me, if you ever get in an accident, having the extra coverage is worth it.

/soapbox
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    What happens if you wreck it or get a ticket? ...since you're on your dads policy?

I've always had my own insurance and never drove my parents cars when I was a teen. So im ignorant on this.
    I didn't want to lump this in with the rest of the other post. Either his dad's rates will go up or they will tell his dad that they will no longer carry the OP on that insurance policy. So his dad will either drop the OP from the policy or the insurance company will drop dad. What people don't understand is that if you get a cheap car that's inexpensive to insure, you start getting all that cheap insurancy goodness when you buy another mo betta car down the road. Since he will just fall under his dads policy as a driver and not carry his own policy, he might get a significant rate hike when he get's his own. Also, if your on dads policy and don't live and home and are not a student, that's insurance fraud. They take that stuff VERY serious and will not hesitate to go after you. Just a word to the wise.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

This is my current plan, nothing is at 10 grand so I figure it's decent....

Bodily Injury Liability
    Current Limit: $50,000/$100,000 (max for single occurrence)
    Property Damage Liability
    Current Limit: $50,000
    Personal Injury Protection
    Current Limit: OPTION A $100,000 (med) $4,000 (funeral) $24,000 (work loss)
    Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury
    Current Limit: $50,000/$100,000 (max for single occurrence)
    Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
    Current Limit: $25,000
    Current Deductible: $200 Ded.

I have medium high deductibles on collision and comp but I can afford it.
    Perpetual n00b out!

Haha, thanks for your comment, finally something that makes sense and was helpful at least.

Oh, so THIS is the thread that gets you to spill the beans about how insurance functions?! =)

Second Drews on the rental coverage. Was in an accident (not at fault) in July in which my car was totaled and led to my getting my WRX. Didn't have rental coverage of my own and the at-fault party's insurance only covered up to like 19$/day (yes I know it's based on a comparable vehicle but a chevy Sonic was MUCH smaller than my Matrix). Ended up paying out of pocket a couple $$/day to get a Camry.

Last week my WRX was hit while parked and the lady's insurance company was a PITA about getting me a rental so my insurance authorized my rental coverage. $50/day at a rental company doesn't get you much on your own but with the rates negotiated by insurance companies, I got a sweet-ass '14 Jeep Cherokee. Definitely not my car of choice, but it was luxuriously, comfy, and hauled my rear around for 5 days a lot better than the at-fault's insurance covered Hyundai would have.

Just sayin'.

From a guy with experience in this subject let me tell you this, I am only 23 right now but my first car at 16 was a 1984 z28 that my uncle and I built a 350 for. I'm fine and alive and what not now but believe me you WILL drive that thing like a maniac and you WILL be recording a speeding ticket at some point in time with that car. I had more speeding tickets in my camaro than I had in all three of my other cars combined. Now with that said, you may not have one now but once you get your first speeding ticket in that car your insurance will skyrocket faster than a bat out of H3LL. I too paid for my camaro in full with my own money but I worked damn hard for it for about 2 years too make all 1800 I paid on it then I had to put about 5 hours of work into it per week to keep it running, and spent many of hours after school in the parking lot under the beast to fix it so that I could just go home.

I'm not telling you what to do with your money but 15k at 18 years old is way more than I could even dream of having at that age, and with that I think I can speak for most of us on here. I would be finding a better way to spend that kind of money at that young of an age than on a car that is going to do nothing but cost you money and depreciate in value. That's just my opinion. I didn't have a car that cost more than 5k until just now when I bought my REX two months ago, now that I have graduated college, have a sustainable income, am working for a company on salary where my job security is amazing, and can afford the proper upkeep on my nice newish car.

Now that I've got all of that out, if the car will be registered in his name and under his insurance policy then you will likely not be labeled as the primary driver on your car. If they would do it the smart way you would be placed as the primary driver on the cheapest vehicle your parents own. In this event then your father's insurance will not be too high, but just like everyone else said "call Progressive". They can give you a quote that will be very, very accurate. Now If you are to be labeled as the primary driver on the vehicle, you can expect your Fathers insurance to go up pretty significantly.

Disclaimer: Again this is entirely my opinion and in no way based on what could actually be the case.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I have medium high deductibles on collision and comp but I can afford it.
    It's not about affording it. It's really a waste of money. Let's say you have a 6 month policy and your deductibles are set at $1000. In the event of an accident that your policy is going to pay on you'd be paying $1000 bucks for that 6 month period. Where as if you had a lower deductible but a higher premium, would you hit that $1000 with the higher premium and lower deductible? I can't say for you, but when I dropped my my collision deductible from $500 to $150 my premium only went up $4/mo. Plus your premiums start to drop over time anyway after the initial increase. It's well worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    Second Drews on the rental coverage. Was in an accident (not at fault) in July in which my car was totaled and led to my getting my WRX. Didn't have rental coverage of my own and the at-fault party's insurance only covered up to like 19$/day (yes I know it's based on a comparable vehicle but a chevy Sonic was MUCH smaller than my Matrix). Ended up paying out of pocket a couple $$/day to get a Camry.

Last week my WRX was hit while parked and the lady's insurance company was a PITA about getting me a rental so my insurance authorized my rental coverage. $50/day at a rental company doesn't get you much on your own but with the rates negotiated by insurance companies, I got a sweet-ass '14 Jeep Cherokee. Definitely not my car of choice, but it was luxuriously, comfy, and hauled my rear around for 5 days a lot better than the at-fault's insurance covered Hyundai would have.

Just sayin'.
    It might depend on the state you're in, but since it was the other drivers fault, their coverage OWES you a rental car. Here in FL, it's kind of the law. What people don't realize is what ever your liability coverage is, that's what pays for the claimant's rental. I would have gladly taken the Sonic. There is a caveat to the rental coverage though, at least here in FL. They insurance company owes you a similar vehicle if you use it for work. So if I used my truck for work, I could have expected that the insurance company would pay to rent me a 2500HD work truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Also, if your on dads policy and don't live and home and are not a student, that's insurance fraud. They take that stuff VERY serious and will not hesitate to go after you. Just a word to the wise.
    ^^^ also this

Not sure how the speeding tkt thing works with insurance...10 years ago, I was 25-26 and I got 2 reckless tickets within 6 months, both in an Isuzu Rodeo, going 90+. I was convicted of the first one, the county almost suspended my license, the state gave me the max amount of points you could get before the DMV auto-suspends it.... second one was dropped to a regular speeding tkt and my insurance never went up. In fact it went down as I was given good driver bonuses on the very next renewal.

So what's the deal with that? Most people say, yep, your insurance skyrockets after a tkt, but I don't think they look at your driver record unless you give them a reason to???
    Perpetual n00b out!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    So what's the deal with that? Most people say, yep, your insurance skyrockets after a tkt, but I don't think they look at your driver record unless you give them a reason to???
    It's not like the cops immediately phone your insurance saying, "Do you know what your guy did?!!?!" I am surprised though, especially being convicted of a reckless, that your rates didn't jump. My guess is that when your policy went up for renewal, no one caught it or they weren't looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    It's not about affording it. It's really a waste of money. Let's say you have a 6 month policy and your deductibles are set at $1000. In the event of an accident that your policy is going to pay on you'd be paying $1000 bucks for that 6 month period. Where as if you had a lower deductible but a higher premium, would you hit that $1000 with the higher premium and lower deductible? I can't say for you, but when I dropped my my collision deductible from $500 to $150 my premium only went up $4/mo. Plus your premiums start to drop over time anyway after the initial increase. It's well worth it IMO.
    Makes total sense. I'm probably going to lower them after my next renewal. I want to see how my recent claim affects my rates first. I may add rental insurance too...if my car was in a body shop for a week, I'd be screwed.

Thanks for the advice.
    Perpetual n00b out!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast