How much will 05 STi be on my Dad's Insurance. (Progressive) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How much will 05 STi be on my Dad's Insurance. (Progressive) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; In my late 20's now and even my WRX is too much for me. Granted I'm learning to drive it ...

In my late 20's now and even my WRX is too much for me. Granted I'm learning to drive it better, but coming from low powered wagons, this 2.5 is beefy. I'm thankful my first car (that I got when I was 19) had only 163hp stock. It was still plenty zippy and fun. I can't imagine having a WRX or STi at 19; can't see any scenario where it's a wise choice though. Fun, absolutely. But certainly not wise. Maybe not even a good choice. =)

EDIT: I fully intend on doing a HPDE (or more than one =) ) to better learn to handle this vehicle. If I could afford it, I'd take real lessons at Sonoma or Laguna Seca but the NASA track days are far nearer my price range.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

EDIT: I fully intend on doing a HPDE (or more than one =) ) to better learn to handle this vehicle. If I could afford it, I'd take real lessons at Sonoma or Laguna Seca but the NASA track days are far nearer my price range.[/QUOTE]

This is great. Drifting off topic here but I really wish these were more readily available and accessible for most people who wish to learn the abilities and limits of their "sports" cars.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's hard to believe how pricey HPDE courses have become: likely it's somewhat tied to the price of fuel. In 2003, I took a HPDE course (3 days) as a part of a birthday gift/graduation gift/ some input cash on my own part. Recently, I looked at the prices of a contemporary HPDE course, and the prices have inflated 300%!!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Still SO much cheaper than a 1 day course at one of the major raceways.

I bought my WRX at 20 years old with a perfect driving record and having attended one of the best drivers ed schools in the state when I was 15-16 and I was paying 100 a month or 1200 a year if math isn't your thing, for comprehensive coverage. It has since gone down due to taking the DDC4 and DDC6 classes. Took me a year and a half to stop paying out my ass for insurance.

An HPDE teaches you everything you need to know about how not to drive your car on public roads. At your age and mine we need to be driving as much within the law as we can. I am not perfect and regularly go to a near by OHV park with a rally sprint track and rallycross tracks to get it out of my system and I still have done some stupid things on public roads.

My advice don't get an STI had I had one at 18 I would be dead/in jail/car impounded/etc. The wrx is plenty car for you and honestly I've almost died numerous times in my friends 98 legacy 2.5GT, and I have friends who have had numerous 20+ over speeding tickets in base Imprezas. Yes the STI is cool, yes it will be fun, do you need it now? Absolutely not. Just don't.

My first car was a 115hp new beetle with a 5 speed. I was a responsible kid but still got pulled over 4 times for speeding before I was 20.... I was paying $1200 a year on my dads insurance... I would be surprised with your age if it is under $200-$250 a month....

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    When I bought my WRX, I was 21 years old. Most insurance companies wanted $200 a month for a basic coverage policy -- $500 deductible. I had (still have) a clean record (no accidents and no tickets) over my 15 years of driving, so I can imagine this insurance rate comes from those teenage asshats with Subarus. Thanks.

Anyway, once 25 rolled around, my insurance policy dropped from $100 a month to $70 a month. I now pay ~$40 a month for insurance.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Everyone needs to remember also that a wrx is in most cases a good bit cheaper than an sti on insurance. My 13 wrx is around 105 a month, if I went with an sti, it would have been around 205.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^wow thats quite a jump. a few years back when i was looking at moving up from a wrx to an sti, my insurance would've only went up by $6 a month. (this was to go from an 06 wrx to an 07 sti at the age of 21)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    Everyone needs to remember also that a wrx is in most cases a good bit cheaper than an sti on insurance. My 13 wrx is around 105 a month, if I went with an sti, it would have been around 205.
    My insurance rate went down by a few $200-$300 a year after selling my 09 WRX and getting a 2013 STi.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    My insurance rate went down by a few $200-$300 a year after selling my 09 WRX and getting a 2013 STi.
    That's awesome. I pay about $100/month for my wife and I. Full coverage, $250 deductible

Have you tried calling Progressive yet and asking them? That may be a good place to start if you want to find out how much Progressive will charge you for insurance.....by calling Progressive....
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Im 20 with a perfect record and pay 125 for full coverage for my 2011 wrx.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

I Support ClubWRX
    What state are you located in?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

22 with perfect record, and will be paying $100/month for full coverage when my 2014 WRX comes in januaryv

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.