Newbie with an 02 WRX!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie with an 02 WRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello to everyone. I am a 17 with a Recently bought '02 WRX. I didn't like the fact that the ...

Newbie with an 02 WRX!

Hello to everyone. I am a 17 with a Recently bought '02 WRX. I didn't like the fact that the previous owner had spray-painted the stock rims green, then black. Or that there are STI foglight covers and it isn't an STI. AND that the stock stereo head unit was blown and ONE speaker remained in the car. I LOVE that they had beautiful white paint, wonderful bucket seats and well tinted windows. I put in a BOSS 600watt amp and a kicker 10' sub, awaiting a second one to complete the box. I can't wait to start modding this thing. anyone have cheap Ideas of upgrades I should consider? Here are some pics of this majesty!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats bro clean buggie!

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats! Start with a catless up-pipe.

Check this link out too First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome. you also might want to look into what suspension the previous owner installed. based on the drop, i'm guessing they probably have tein S-techs which are known for being wonderfully crappy :P

also make sure you swap out your uppipe for a catless one if it hasnt already been done

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Wel from what I can see he may have just chopped the springs. Which is even worse. Me being a broke teen I'll probably try to buy used. What is safe to get second hand and what should I avoid?
    Thanks again.

Congrats!

Short throw shifter! You use that 500 times a day and its pretty inexpensive!

First things first though, make sure you go over the car very well to make sure that the previous owner didn't mess the car up. As suggested above, make sure you check the suspension, brakes, etc. Make sure the car is safe and going to keep running before all else!

There is nothing wrong with being on a budget, just about all of us are. But there are certain parts on a car that you just can't cheap out on (eg. brakes, suspension, tires). Make sure you buy good quality parts and you'll thank yourself in the long run!
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

If I remember correctly the short throw was added previously as well. I do love it. Is a little wiggle while in gear ok? Ive had a trusted maintinence shop look it over. There is what seems to be an aftermarket radiator. I'll take a pic later today. But other than that the tires are new and I've just inspected brakes

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobfriend View Post
    Is a little wiggle while in gear ok?
    Likely because the bushings are not done.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

If I remember correctly the short throw was added previously as well. I do love it. Is a little wiggle while in gear ok? Ive had a trusted maintinence shop look it over. There is what seems to be an aftermarket radiator. I'll take a pic later today. But other than that the tires are new and I've just inspected brakes
    All good news!

A little play is fine, it's never going to be completely rigid. I have slight left/right movement even with the front/rear shifter bushings (less than a centimeter left/right), but it's no where near the movement it was stock (it would move about an inch or more left/right while in gear).

Compared to stock gearboxes, a short throw makes a world of difference. The stock shifter and bushings on my 14 was terrible, especially after coming over from a Mustang that had a perfect throw.

Maybe it's just the angle of the first picture, but is there a body gap on that passenger rocker panel? IMHO, I would take off the fog covers.

Do you have any other plans for the stereo? I'm in the process of redoing mine as well. Just waiting on the last few parts to come in, and I haven't settled on a headunit yet (still researching).
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Well as for stereo yes. This is fixed. A 200 dollar head unit and some crap speakers, not the worst of sound. The alpine unit I got is really good. What catless up pipes do you recommend? Btw you all are awesome

Well as for stereo yes. This is fixed. A 200 dollar head unit and some crap speakers, not the worst of sound. The alpine unit I got is really good. What catless up pipes do you recommend? Btw you all are awesome
    +1 for Alpine. They are always my top choice (I'm debating between two of their models right now).

Invidia always seems to be highly recommended. Nameless has a lot of customizable exhaust options, but I'm not sure what they offer for an 02.

Scroll through the sub-forums and you'll learn a lot! Also check out the vendor section for good deals.
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Sounds awesome! I can't remember my exact unit, but it's really good. What products from Cobb tuning are good? I ask because my last name is Cobb.

Cobb's intake seems to be highly rated, and that's the one I will be getting eventually.

Depending on who you ask, the AccessPort is good. I have one, I haven't been able to use it yet because they don't support the 14 yet.

Besides that I don't have much experience with Cobb. But based on my research, generally people like their products. Take a look on Rally Sport Direct and read the reviews of different products. Products get a lot of feedback on that site.
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Awesome thank you so much. As for the body panel I have no idea. The first thing I did with it is drive through a flood for a whole day. Bottomed out countless times too.

Awesome thank you so much. As for the body panel I have no idea. The first thing I did with it is drive through a flood for a whole day. Bottomed out countless times too.
    No problem. Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your new car!

Yeah, bottoming out is an issue, and for you it's worse because the car is lowered. Looks great, but less streetable in uneven areas.
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast