New WRX Owner

This is a discussion on New WRX Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just bought my first WRX. bought used with a few miles on her. It seems like everyone new on here ...

New WRX Owner

Just bought my first WRX. bought used with a few miles on her. It seems like everyone new on here is buying brand new wrx's. Wish I had that type of money to buy my first wrx. I just recently bought a Silver 2004 Wrx. Pretty well stock except for the exhaust (still sounds like a healthy subi). I have had one other turbo before but it wasnt this powerful. And i've never owned an AWD and I have to say it is nice to punch it in first gear and not get wheel hop from a front wheel drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Have fun breaking your car if you continue to drive it like that. Welcome.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Yeah, you should know that even though the WRX is a "sportier" car, the tranny still isn't made for first gear launches. The AWD system of the car is really for help with traction in various types of road condition, and wasn't made to do rocket-takeoffs. The STI is argueably a bit more suited for that job, but even then, clutch-drops from a dig will still break parts.

When you floor it, all that power has to go somewhere, and either the tires are going to break loose, or you will launch off the line with full grip but the tranny will be taking an immense load, along with other drive-train parts, perhaps the center diff...? Just be careful.

I'm didn't mean what i said to mean that i'm dropping the clutch with it floored everytime i take off. I know it is rough on the car. Any dig is rough on any car. Let me make this clearer than just that I drop the clutch all the time. The AWD traction is amazing compared to a front wheel drive turbo. Plus it will come in much more use this winter when it snows and I can actually go somewhere.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    Yeah, you should know that even though the WRX is a "sportier" car, the tranny still isn't made for first gear launches. The AWD system of the car is really for help with traction in various types of road condition, and wasn't made to do rocket-takeoffs. The STI is argueably a bit more suited for that job, but even then, clutch-drops from a dig will still break parts.

When you floor it, all that power has to go somewhere, and either the tires are going to break loose, or you will launch off the line with full grip but the tranny will be taking an immense load, along with other drive-train parts, perhaps the center diff...? Just be careful.
    For the 2.0L it was second gear that gets stripped first. For the 2.5L, it's 3rd that goes bye bye.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.