Just bought my first Wrx..... And learning to drive manual.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just bought my first Wrx..... And learning to drive manual. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I decided to join this forum bc I have heard that getting advice from other owners is the ...

Just bought my first Wrx..... And learning to drive manual.

Hello everyone, I decided to join this forum bc I have heard that getting advice from other owners is the best way to get straight answers. I bought a brand new wrx, 2014 premium sedan in plasma blue. I love the car and though I have never owned a manual before, I practiced with it for a few weeks on the weekends while using a dd car. I just feel like I'm not getting good very quickly with this car . I love it to death but I really am still struggling with smooth start and stops, which kinda sucks bc I live in the city. I just feel like an idiot with no confidence and afraid I'm going to ruin this beautiful machine. I feel like I'm still not smooth with my clutch release to get going, and I over rev going 1st to second, giving a little jump when I first get into second. Once I'm movin and driving at normal speed I'm usually ok, even rev matching with some early limited success. But I have managed to stall it still while trying to go from a stop sign today at two different times and I'm just really frustrated. Any advice on my technique or advice about the car in general( is the car really stiff for the first few hundred miles? Thanks for not blowing me up for asking a dumb couple questions, I'm really looking for some advice here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't be so hard on yourself; I drove a manual 5-speed DD for 6 years before I got my 2013 WRX, and I have stalled the Rex several times. It's a very light clutch and needs a decent amount of gas to get going, whereas I could launch my Tiburon with 800 rpms if I wanted to. It takes everyone some time to adjust. Slow and steady is key to avoid that jerkiness; a quick release of the clutch is going to give you that jerk. On the flip side, you don't want to release it too slowly so you slip it...it's finding the right balance.Getting moving is always the hardest. Don't be too nervous to damage anything; that will just make you more anxious and extend your learning curve. Realistically, you aren't going to cause much wear during that learning period. If you feel like you are about to stall, just push in the clutch to save it. I learned to drive manual on my Tib, AND taught a few friends, and the original clutch lasted 101k miles. Just enjoy the car, it's a ton of fun once you get the hang of it
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmerjohn View Post
    Hello everyone, I decided to join this forum bc I have heard that getting advice from other owners is the best way to get straight answers. I bought a brand new wrx, 2014 premium sedan in plasma blue. I love the car and though I have never owned a manual before, I practiced with it for a few weeks on the weekends while using a dd car. I just feel like I'm not getting good very quickly with this car . I love it to death but I really am still struggling with smooth start and stops, which kinda sucks bc I live in the city. I just feel like an idiot with no confidence and afraid I'm going to ruin this beautiful machine. I feel like I'm still not smooth with my clutch release to get going, and I over rev going 1st to second, giving a little jump when I first get into second. Once I'm movin and driving at normal speed I'm usually ok, even rev matching with some early limited success. But I have managed to stall it still while trying to go from a stop sign today at two different times and I'm just really frustrated. Any advice on my technique or advice about the car in general( is the car really stiff for the first few hundred miles? Thanks for not blowing me up for asking a dumb couple questions, I'm really looking for some advice here.
    Just remember that the clutch can be let out by itself, you don't need much gas at all to get going. The slower the better when you let out the clutch (when learning), can't stress that enough! Just give it a tiny bit of gas, and really slowly let that clutch out, once you start to memorize where the clutch starts to release, you'll get more used to driving a manual. Might be easier on you to just find a big empty parking lot, and practice a bunch to get used to where the clutch releases, then you'll be more confident in normal city driving. Best of luck!

Also the great thing is that your car comes with hill start assist so you have an extra allowance before you start backing down on an incline. My advice is start with flat surfaces... Know the right balance between clutch and gas. Then once you've mastered (or at least have a good feel for that) start doing inclines. Just practice and don't pressure yourself my friend.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree - I've owned 6 manual cars (some Junkers) and driven many others. I must say the soft clutch/ quiet exhaust sounds make this car a very difficult daily driver for even the experienced (manual trans driver). I was talking to my step dad tonight laughing about how many times we have stalled our wrx's (I own a 2013 hatch/ my mom and step dad have a 2013 wrx sedan). Props to you for making the switch and sticking it it out! You will get the hang of it! My recommendation is before it gets to cold crack the back windows and keep the radio off. Try to learn the feel and sound for good shifts and bad! The feeling will come natural and you will begin to shift like its second nature.

About the car - dealer and service manager mentioned to me they will replace the clutch as
    Long as it does not show major signs of abuse under factory warranty!

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

Treat your clutch like the gas pedal. Roll the clutch off your foot just like you would with the gas pedal. Think about it, you don't put your foot on the gas pedal and just let go immediately, you roll your foot off of it.

Second, I wouldn't practice rev matching at your level of experience yet. Get the basics down first. That way you'll understand later why u need to rev match.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    You'll get used to it. Don't worry so much, confidence will get you a long way. Welcome!

It's all in your head!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're gonna break it.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Congrats, I remember when I first learned to drive stick it was on a 2001 Honda S2000. That was quite the experience and you can bet I was nervous too. Just keep practicing like the others have stated you just have to keep working at it. Its a brand new car with a warranty so that should help ease your mind.

After driving my auto R/T for 2 years, when I test drove the Rex, I did not even stall or jump the car, because the stick shift was already a habit for me. One thing I would do is to practice your foot movement out of the car too. Like say, when you are just sitting idle or doing something at home, imagine as if you are driving the rex and try co-ordinating the feet movements (move left foot up slowly while moving right foot down). Not sure if some might think of it as stupid, but I have tried it and it works. There will be a difference in the force and the pressure when imaginary vs a real car, but the principle is the same.

An alternate - If you are a gamer have a PC/ PS3 /XBOX and City Driving/ Gran Turismo 5 or Forza, go buy a Logitech G27 / fanatec wheels which has the clutch pedal and H shifter. It is pretty close to the real thing you can get to. The clutch works in most games.

BTW, Congrats and welcome to the forum!
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    After driving my auto R/T for 2 years, when I test drove the Rex, I did not even stall or jump the car, because the stick shift was already a habit for me. One thing I would do is to practice your foot movement out of the car too. Like say, when you are just sitting idle or doing something at home, imagine as if you are driving the rex and try co-ordinating the feet movements (move left foot up slowly while moving right foot down). Not sure if some might think of it as stupid, but I have tried it and it works. There will be a difference in the force and the pressure when imaginary vs a real car, but the principle is the same.

An alternate - If you are a gamer have a PC/ PS3 /XBOX and City Driving/ Gran Turismo 5 or Forza, go buy a Logitech G27 / fanatec wheels which has the clutch pedal and H shifter. It is pretty close to the real thing you can get to. The clutch works in most games.

BTW, Congrats and welcome to the forum!
    Because video games are real life.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Because video games are real life.
    Yeah I agree with this... no video game controller is going to mimic the feel and engagement of an actual clutch.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I did not say they are real life. But they can help you if you want the practice. Also I'm talking about the wheel for using as practice and not just the game itself.

Nothing will match real life experience. This is just a supplement. Just like vitamin pills
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    I did not say they are real life. But they can help you if you want the practice. Also I'm talking about the wheel for using as practice and not just the game itself.

Nothing will match real life experience. This is just a supplement. Just like vitamin pills
    No it isn't. A supplement by definition adds to something. Practicing on a cheap set of video game pedals that provide absolutely zero feedback is going to do nothing. Just practicing the motions isn't going to help either. You need to get a feel for the vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast