Just bought my first Wrx..... And learning to drive manual. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Just bought my first Wrx..... And learning to drive manual. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Let me refer you to this thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...ng-advice.html Just a few weeks ago some other guy had a similar question. ...

Let me refer you to this thread:

First Time Suburu and Manual Transmission Owner - Seeking Shifting Advice

Just a few weeks ago some other guy had a similar question. Lots of good advice in that thread if you sift through it.

Here is my own post from the same thread. I believe the advice still stands.

"Something that really helped me was to study up and learn about the relationship between the clutch and powertrain. How these things work mechanically. Once you have a basic understanding of how the pressure plate and flywheel work to get the car moving, its much easier to know what you are doing wrong and what you can do to remedy it.

Simple concepts:
    (during starts)
    -If the car is bogging/starts to bog, give it more gas.
    -If the car is revving high but going nowhere, ease off the clutch more.

-Always be smooth with the clutch when letting it out (unless your drag racing or something...). Sudden release can cause drivetrain shock. You'll feel this if you shift from second to third, and just let the clutch all the way out, the car will jerk a bit because the clutchplate is just slamming into the flywheel. Same reason why starting the car can bounce around if you're not gentle.

-Downshifting, it is ok to do it the "grandma" way and clutch in, shift to lower gear, clutch out SLOWLY and let it grab and bounce up to whatever RPMs. Once again, if you're not gentle, you're gonna shock the drivetrain and get jerked around.

-Rev matching is simple. If you are doing 50 mph in 4th gear at 2500 RPM, if you shift to third gear the RPMs will naturally be higher, maybe around 3000 RPM. So "rev-matching" is simply if you downshift from 4th, you clutch in, shift to third, rev the engine up to 3,000 RPM because you know that is where it needs to be in third, and you let the clutch out. You can be quicker than doing it "granny style" here, and if you're good enough, you can pretty much pop the clutch without hurting anything. So as you can tell, you need to get used to the gearing of your car to be able to do it well. But I don't downshift much in normal driving.

Avoid "burning your clutch". If you look up how a clutch works, you'll know its essentially two disks turning different speeds that come together to "match" speeds. That means they will rub together a bit as they begin to sync with each other. That is what "burns" the clutch and causes it to wear. It is an inevitable side effect of the system, but clutches these days last a very long time if you're nice to them.

So when starting, you essentially want to get the car rolling smoothly, without buring the clutch or popping it so much that the car jerks like we discussed before. Sometimes when starting it can be easier to bring rpms up a bit, begin to let out the clutch and then feather the gas lightly as you release the clutch.

Just know this: when the clutch begins to grab, it will bring the RPMs down, so you must give it more gas as you let off the clutch, or you'll kill the car or bog it down pretty bad. Practice doing starts where you can maintain the RPMs around 2200 through the whole start.

Thats the biggest thing. Practice. Nobody is good at stick their first time. Give it a month or so. You'll get it.
    "

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I threw few cents from what I have felt when using wheels and foot movement. I know that the real feel of a car is different. But the pedals do give some resistance for you
    to apply force.
    There still needs to be a lot of practice on the real car no denying that. I am talking about when not driving the car.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    I threw few cents from what I have felt when using wheels and foot movement. I know that the real feel of a car is different. But the pedals do give some resistance for you
    to apply force.
    There still needs to be a lot of practice on the real car no denying that. I am talking about when not driving the car.
    Its true, its not going to make you a perfect driver by any means, but I learned how to successfully heel-toe downshift using a sim race wheel and pedals with a load cell. If we are talking other race aspects, like circuit type racing, video games can go a LONG way in helping out with race theory type stuff, like race line, passing, and getting familiar with the tracks. Its crazy how close the virtual versions are to the real thing.

Bear in mind i'm more talking games like Forza and iRacing, not Need for Speed or something similar.

So not to say that our friend here should learn on a video game, but virtual experiences do have their merits.

You'll catch on in no time. Standard advice I give... is don't dump it, and don't ride it. Red Sox are up 5 zip.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12