New WRX, or Used STi?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New WRX, or Used STi? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, new user here, been reading for some time now though. My question as in the title is a ...

New WRX, or Used STi?

Hey all, new user here, been reading for some time now though.

My question as in the title is a dilema I've been having. I'm debating the pro's and con's and want more input on it. I'm either looking into buying a new '14 WRX, or a stock 06/07 STi with <60,000 miles when I return from being deployed spring next year. Just from searching on autotrader I've found that both of these fit my financial situation and I can afford them. And I really like the hawkeye WRX's, but wondering if it would be more of a hassle or hard to actually find one that is in good condition. Also on top just a random thought. I will be getting out of the marines stationed in California and am originally from Pennsylvania, and am thinking of a cross country trip. Would it be wise to do so or would I be better off just shipping it and have less fun. Just looking for input on this and what you guys think, thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would buy the new car for piece of mind. Stay safe and thanks for your service.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    buying used always runs the risk of getting someone elses abused/modded/putbacktostock/dragraced/autocrossed/triedtogetto400hpbutfailed headache.

hawkeye sti's are still holding their value like crazy. especially if you try to find a white one or a limited 07. you'll end up paying close to, if not more than what a new wrx would cost.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

New WRX, or Used STi?

I am in the same boat as you OP, new 14 wrx base hatch or 2010-2011 sti hatch.
    Not sure if i "need" a STI and wrx would prob better suit me for a DD... BUT i dont want to get a wrx and regret not going with a better car in the first place.

The first sti i looked at was def modded an returned to stock.... No bueno. So its going to be tough to find one that meets my criteria

My thought is if i can get the dealer to agree on a 30 day return policy (witch some have) i will get the sti inspected and have a leak down / compression test done. If it passes ill keep it. Also the car would have to come with a clean carfax and full service history. If you are willing to look at newer STI's an can find a certified pre owned they cone with a 100k mile warranty. Just saying. I found a 2011 STI CPO hatch for $28,500 where dealers are asking $27,500 for a base wrx hatch. The market is odd here in CT
    Last edited by Grundlepunch; 10-22-2013 at 06:01 AM.

What will you be using the car for?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Grundlepunch View Post
    I am in the same boat as you OP, new 14 wrx base hatch or 2010-2011 sti hatch.
    Not sure if i "need" a STI and wrx would prob better suit me for a DD... BUT i dont want to get a wrx and regret not going with a better car in the first place.

The first sti i looked at was def modded an returned to stock.... No bueno. So its going to be tough to find one that meets my criteria

My thought is if i can get the dealer to agree on a 30 day return policy (witch some have) i will get the sti inspected and have a leak down / compression test done. If it passes ill keep it. Also the car would have to come with a clean carfax and full service history. If you are willing to look at newer STI's an can find a certified pre owned they cone with a 100k mile warranty. Just saying. I found a 2011 STI CPO hatch for $28,500 where dealers are asking $27,500 for a base wrx hatch. The market is odd here in CT
    Yeah, from what I've been looking at online at least I can get a new WRX or get a 06/07 STi with less than 60k miles for about the same price or 3-4k cheaper than the brand new. I'm just hoping I can still find a STi that meets what I want. And I def wouldn't buy one without a clean carfax, and the dealer I'm looking at has the 30 day return so that might not be a bad idea, do you know how much it would cost to have the car looked at?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    What will you be using the car for?
    I would be using as a DD but on base I don't travel more than 10 miles a day, but when I go out on the weekends I would enjoy driving it around. Also just to go on random fun drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Woessner1101 View Post

I will be getting out of the marines stationed in California and am originally from Pennsylvania, and am thinking of a cross country trip. Would it be wise to do so or would I be better off just shipping it and have less fun.
    That'll be fun but you will have to spend lots for gas... Just my 2 cents... I honestly would get a new one though to save you all the headache, but if you know how to inspect the old one inside out (or could find one to do it for you) then that could be an option... But I still go with a new one. Well granted that it's within your budget.

True on gas, but honestly, I never see myself having another oppurtunity to do a cross country drive. And yea, I'm leaning more and more to a new WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Woessner1101 View Post
    True on gas, but honestly, I never see myself having another oppurtunity to do a cross country drive. And yea, I'm leaning more and more to a new WRX.
    Then I say it's the perfect time to break it in

Well, I would of had the car for about a year before that, should already be broken in. But an oil change before and after would prbly be called for.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.