Help the new girl
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help the new girl within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, my name is Nicole. I was leasing a 2010 Impreza and hoping to switch over to a wrx ...

Help the new girl

Hi everyone, my name is Nicole. I was leasing a 2010 Impreza and hoping to switch over to a wrx when the lease was up... long story short the impreza is here to stay for another 2 years. Now that the car is mine, I would like to start making some modifications. I am kind of at a loss as to where to start since the car is so low on the Subaru totem pole. I am ordering rims and HIDs. I was thinking cold air intake to give it some umph. But im not sure if it will really help the car out any.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roxy.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels.

For an N/A car, suspension mods are your friend. A CAI will do virtually nothing for you.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels. Wheels.

For an N/A car, suspension mods are your friend. A CAI will do virtually nothing for you.
    THIS x1000. Trust me, coming from a guy that was in your shoes back in 2007. I bought a new 07 2.5i. Decided to start modding it, a few thousand dollars later I realized that I netted very little gains! Performance mods just arent a very good idea for these cars unfortunately. However, no one says that it can't look good! Lower it on some nice wheels, tint your windows, sway bars, a few little personal touches on the exterior/interior, and call it a day! Then, any extra money you have left to put said performance mods on the car, put in a savings account and keep adding to it as time goes. Dont touch that savings account, and in 2 years, you will have a nice down payment on the wrx you want!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    I had an 06 2.5i before my current car and all I did was add a nice audio system and tint the windows. I also had a bike rack. I loved that car, but I didn't want to put too much money into it because I knew I would be trading it in when I was ready to buy an STi and all the aftermarket stuff doesn't add to the value at all. I was able to yank most of the audio system out right in the parking lot at the dealer too before I traded in

For the year you have, I think the sport grill goes a long way as far as improving looks, and you would be surprised how much better the car would look after tints, especially since the car is black.

Welcome to the forums!

I Support ClubWRX
    Some new wheels, a sport grille and tint the windows. That is where I would start.

Then work your way into suspension mods.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Tint the windows, don't do any other mods, save your money and get an STI.

What these guys said. Also, for the love of your fellow driver, unless the HIDs you ordered are a full retrofit, return them and order a retrofit kit.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I would do nothing and drive it till it dies. Maintain it correctly, tint the windows, add roof rack for luggage etc, add light bar and two lights, upgrade stereo, fill it with camping stuff.

and...It's a road trip car!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    What these guys said. Also, for the love of your fellow driver, unless the HIDs you ordered are a full retrofit, return them and order a retrofit kit.
    Oh yeah missed that part. Unless you are putting in true retrofits or the ungodly expensive STI headlights, just don't do HIDs. Most HID kits out there end up looking cheap, the light output isn't that much better and they are annoying to other drivers.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

Thank you guys Your answers were alot of help. Ill be sure not to put any cheap HIDs on my car. Sound system wise, what is everyones preference? Im thinking bose.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ Bose is highly expensive and overpriced, IMO. Quality is good, yes, but you don't need a Bose sound system in a car. Alpine, pioneer, and Infinity are my favorites.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    I will only ever buy Alpine or Pioneer products. This is just my personal opinion formed over many years.

This doesn't mean that other brands aren't good, I have just found Alpine and Pioneer to be good all around brands.
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 10-17-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Poor word choice.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Take a look at our audio section to get some ideas. I personally have a mix of pioneer, jl, and boston acoustics

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Subarugrl21 View Post
    Thank you guys Your answers were alot of help. Ill be sure not to put any cheap HIDs on my car. Sound system wise, what is everyones preference? Im thinking bose.
    Headunit:
    Alpine is my personal favorite and I only use their head units. They offer great features and a wide variety of fine tuning capability.
    Pioneer is second, Pioneer offers a lot of great features, but their audio fine tuning isn't quite up to par with Alpine.

Front Speakers:
    Get a good quality component set for the fronts, such as Polk Audio (MM series) or Focal. But make sure you check out an audio shop first and listen to the speakers you want to buy, some people don't like the sound of Focals and prefer something less "bright". But it really comes down to what sounds best to you, and in your price range.

Rear Speakers:
    Coaxial speakers are sufficient. The rear speakers are really for people sitting in the back or just a bit of low end to supplement the front speakers. Sometimes, even stock rear speakers can be sufficient with an aftermarket amp.

Amp:
    Look for a 4 channel Class A/B amp. Try to avoid Class D amps unless they have specific technology for powering components. Typically, Class D amps are best for subs because they are smaller, draw less power, and the wave shape doesn't distort the bass. But Class Ds can reduce the audio quality of a good component speaker set. JL Audio makes a great Class D for powering components, but it is $$$.

Sub:
    Unless you are going to be blasting rap music, get one nice 10 inch or even 8 inch sub. JL Audio W3s are great for the price. Audio Integrations makes really nice enclosures that tuck into the corner of the trunk just behind the wheel.

A really powerful and impressive sounding audio system can be put together for under $1000 if you bargain shop, and aren't having a shop install everything. But the audio upgrade is so important over the stock radio. (Plus if you get a WRX in the future you can probably just transfer everything over to the new car.)

I didn't see it mentioned, but if your car is a manual, a short throw shifter will make a world of difference! Kartboy makes a really nice kit with bushings, but others around here will recommend other brands as well.

Good luck with everything! Sorry if all the information is over complicated or a little overwhelming.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Swaybars!!

Seriously, they are my favorite mod I've done to my car... and have done more to make the car feel "fast" than anything else, including all the actual power mods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast