Looking at a 2004 WRX STi... What to look for
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking at a 2004 WRX STi... What to look for within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! Currently I am looking for a early 2000's WRX STi, I am looking to get rid of my 1999.5 ...

Looking at a 2004 WRX STi... What to look for

Hello! Currently I am looking for a early 2000's WRX STi, I am looking to get rid of my 1999.5 B5 Audi A4 1.8TQM (fully built car, pushing 400 horses), and am looking to trade. I went to look at a STi today (2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan NEED GONE THIS WEEKEND - Calgary Cars For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.) and it looked pretty clean, but the millage concerns me... When do these cars start to eat the dirt? I am an Audi/VW guy and these cars are completely new to me.

I can't seem to tell if the car was beat on at all, it was owned by the guy who runs the local WRX shop in Calgary (VEX) originally. Apparently injector one and two are "dirty" and are making the car idle surge a little bit. I've never heard of such a thing, but is it plausible?

What is the maximum power the stock internals can run? I like having a 350-400hp daily driver, and after rebuilding the motor in my A4 I never want to do that again.

Funnest test drive ever by the way, got pulled over by the cops!

Cheers!
    Last edited by ToXicXxX; 10-13-2013 at 10:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Subarus are 2, 3, 400k mile cars, along the lines of Honda longevity. But I wouldn't expect that out of an STi since it's a more "performance" oriented car. It all largely depends on the car and the owner and how it was maintained and driven. If it's over 100k make sure the water pump and timing belt has been done.

I'd say after 160k-200k miles, it would be time for the 2.5l engine out of the sti to go into the soft driving/retirement/moderate modding phase if it hasn't had any work done yet...or cracked a ringland by now. Although, for your power goal you will need a built engine without a doubt, so expect to put a new engine in.

The driveline in the STi is almost bulletproof, wouldn't be too worried about it other than axles or wheel bearings (looks like the car in the ad has been lowered quite a bit so it's susp. could easily be worn out). Which brings up the next point, try to look for something that hasn't been modified, or has minimal mods.

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

400hp is a pretty lofty goal on an impreza. If you're looking for lots of horsepower and want something more "racecar" focused an evo would be worth checking out too. You can get a lot more power out of an evo with comparable mods in comparison to the STi.

Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 10-13-2013 at 10:24 PM.

I'm not as knowledgable as some so others feel free to chime in, but here's my thoughts...

These cars can take a lot of miles... my Stage 2 WRX (225 hp at the wheels) is at 172k and has no issues at all, but it all depends on the condition and how it's been treated.

When you say 400 hp... are you talking at the crank or at the wheels? 300-400 at the crank is pretty easy to get with a lightly modded Subaru, 300-400 at the wheels is a whole different story.

There are a couple strange things with the car, most notably being that it is tuned at 8psi. My WRX was pushing out about 13psi stock and tuned it is now targeting closer to 18. Even if that car is stock, it should be running a lot more boost than that. Very odd.

The other (small) things I noticed are HIDs in stock halogen housings and a BOV... both of which aren't really that big of an issue by themselves, but more a sign of someone who is either modding without researching or who is performing mods that are actually detrimental to the car but just doesn't care. Either one is a problem for me, especially when looking at a car with that many miles.

I'd probably pass it up personally. Just my .02. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Subarus are 2, 3, 400k mile cars, along the lines of Honda longevity. But I wouldn't expect that out of an STi since it's a more "performance" oriented car. It all largely depends on the car and the owner and how it was maintained and driven. If it's over 100k make sure the water pump and timing belt has been done.

I'd say after 160k-200k miles, it would be time for the 2.5l engine out of the sti to go into the soft driving/retirement/moderate modding phase if it hasn't had any work done yet...or cracked a ringland by now. Although, for your power goal you will need a built engine without a doubt, so expect to put a new engine in.

The driveline in the STi is almost bulletproof, wouldn't be too worried about it other than axles or wheel bearings (looks like the car in the add has been lowered quite a bit so it's susp. could easily be worn out). Which brings up the next point, try to look for something that hasn't been modified, or has minimal mods.

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

400hp is a pretty lofty goal on an impreza. If you're looking for lots of horsepower and want something more "racecar" focused an evo would be worth checking out too. You can get a lot more power out of an evo with comparable mods than an STi.

Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC
    Fair enough. Being that I already generated that on a 1.87L inline 4 turbo in an Audi A4 i'd like to stay around it.

I don't want to do the rings on a car... Ever again. Rebuilding was a nightmare and I want to get a performance oriented car from the get-go. I just love the looks of these cars....

So basically I should stay away from it? He mentioned it was dropped down to 8psi, worried the motor was getting old.

Not advertising at all, but this is the current Audi A4 I am driving (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ531453104) all built by me...

I am pretty set on getting a WRX, so perhaps I will email a few other people in the city.

As for HP I meant to the wheels, as long as it pulls hard, 300 is fine.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The link I posted is more noob oriented, but it still gives you a good idea of what it'll take for 350-400 at the wheels. The stock engine will not hold that power for long at all, especially if it's high mileage. My friend blew his 2.5l in his forester rather quickly with only an 18g around 15psi.

A full exhaust, intake, and some odds and ends will get you 300 crank easy.

The car in the ad; I would probly pass. Too many miles, BOV, lowered down way too low, and no engine pics. Makes me question the owner somewhat. Can't really say anything definitively without seeing in person and talking to the owner. However, from the pictures it looks well maintained and clean, I just don't agree with the modifications. BTW, the 04 STi had HID bulbs stock, they just weren't in a projector housing.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    The link I posted is more noob oriented, but it still gives you a good idea of what it'll take for 350-400 at the wheels. The stock engine will not hold that power for long at all, especially if it's high mileage. My friend blew his 2.5l in his forester rather quickly with only an 18g around 15psi.

A full exhaust, intake, and some odds and ends will get you 300 crank easy.

The car in the ad; I would probly pass. Too many miles, BOV, and lowered down way too low lol, makes me question the owner somewhat. Can't really say anything definitively without seeing in person and talking to the owner though. BTW, the 04 STi had HID bulbs stock, they just weren't in a projector housing.
    The owner is a semi-sketchy kid. Saw the motor in person. Bay is fairly clean, red paint is cracked off the manifold in a few spots.

Guess i'll look for another one.

It all depends on what you want to do and the price of the car. there is 3 types of Subaru engine blocks that I know of. here in the u.s. spec sti are semi closed deck engines for the turbo Subaru motors the na subarus use a open deck block and a older engine that a lot of people use to build horse power are subarus closed deck block. I am in the prosses of building a hybrid motor for my 2002 wrx bug eye.. subarus close deck blocks with hold higher boost then the open deck or even the semi close deck blocks. there are machine shops that sleave and also fit pieces in the block to make some builds a close deck block but that is expensive I have heard. also u can always buy a jdm sti engine too or just a wrx jdm engine and drop in it too. I have a 1998 forester with a na ej25 jdm engine in that I have been trying to blow up but have not blown engine yet but it is a na. If i was u i would look for one that runs and shifts good that was for a decent price that way u have some money left for after market power add ons and or repairs.

if your looking for jdm Subaru may want to try talking to these people Canadian Customers
    I have not used them but have not seen anything bad about them. they could propbably tell u what that jdm sti is worth and what they would import one for hope that's some help for u

Quote Originally Posted by pupbolt View Post
    if your looking for jdm Subaru may want to try talking to these people Canadian Customers
    I have not used them but have not seen anything bad about them. they could propbably tell u what that jdm sti is worth and what they would import one for hope that's some help for u
    Thing is I'm looking to trade my built Audi. So no cash to be thrown around here.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.