2011 Wrx in need of help! (Smell issue)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 Wrx in need of help! (Smell issue) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, So recently my car has been making this funny smell whenever I drive it. It started after a ...

2011 Wrx in need of help! (Smell issue)

Hey guys,

So recently my car has been making this funny smell whenever I drive it. It started after a ~5hr drive from CA -> AZ. I wasn't
    pushing the car or anything I was going at a constant 80-85 the whole way through. I noticed the smell after I reached my
    destination and smelled something funny, but I didn't think to much of it as I thought it was just the smell of the air outside (haha?).

I started becoming worried when I came back from my trip to AZ because when I took out the car to get groceries or run errands I
    smell this sort of burning smell through my vents when I used the fan on a cool temperature. This smell only came about when I stopped
    at a stop sign or red light, while I am driving I cannot smell anything related to the burning smell. I then tried driving without using the fan
    and I just left the temperature around 75, but after I was done driving and turned off the car, I was able to smell the burning smell that
    came through the vents outside of the car.

I wasn't to sure what the problem was and I was wondering if someone else had this problem before? Or possibly know what the problem is?
    I tried looking into this problem and I think it might be a heating core problem? Or maybe my fan-belt?

I currently have 30k miles on my baby. I don't abuse the girl or anything =[.

ANY info would be great as I would like to get this baby repaired as sooooonnnn as possible.

Thanks a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump =\\

Cabin filter? Have you changed it any time? If not, then its something else.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

What exactly does it smell like? Burnt oil? Coolant? Brakes? Have you looked under the hood? Check for any leaks. When I bought my WRX, the A/C smelt like crap. Literally. Smelled like something had died. I checked the drain tubes and cabin filter. Nothing unusual. The smell went away after using the A/C for a few weeks. The car only had 3 miles when I bought it. I guess it just needed a break in. Still have warranty on the car?

Any mods? Like Downpipe or anything?
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I just experienced this issue on my 08 and the AC Compressor isn't functioning properly, the clutch on the AC Compressor stopped working which is where the smell was originating from.

I Support ClubWRX
    Since you have 30K this isn't your problem. Tell the dealer we said "hi!" And let them fix it. In lieu of pics or a more precise description of the scent the dealer is your best bet anyway. Use the warranty.

From your description I'd guess axle boot but my guess is worthless. Not to worry, the warranty will cover this anyway.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

From what I see there are no leaks. And I want to say the smell is more of a burning rubber smell. As for checking under the hood I remember smelling it when I turned the fan on (not ac) and when I turned it off the smell gradually disappeared . Is my baby dying =[[[

Edit: forgot to mention my car is stock. Nothing done to it

No idea what your baby is doing.

As SD, said...take it to the dealer since it is still under warranty. We can't smell anything over the internet...believe me, I've tried.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
    Is my baby dying
    Of course. Everything is dying. Hatred is the only thing that lasts. And death. Everything else is on borrowed time.

Take the car to the dealer.

Edit: forgot to mention my car is stock. Nothing done to it
    Aha. OK in that case, take the car to the dealer.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yup, dealer it is, they'll take care of it.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Thanks for everything guys!!! I made an appointment this Fri. Hopefully things will get resolved and easily fixable.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.