Proud new owner of 2014 Ice Silver STI

This is a discussion on Proud new owner of 2014 Ice Silver STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First and foremost hello everyone. As the title says, I just bought a 2014 WRX STI sedan. I have been ...

Proud new owner of 2014 Ice Silver STI

First and foremost hello everyone. As the title says, I just bought a 2014 WRX STI sedan. I have been saving up for years and it was well worth the wait. Picked up on Friday and I'm in love with everything. Thinking about adding fog lights but not too sure. I'm just too excited! Is there anything from the dealership parts that are worth adding on right away? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131011_175108.jpg   20131011_174839.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats ...think your the first sti delivered still waiting on mine ....impatiently

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I want that wing.

Also wanted to get the fog lamp kit... Though I wish the OEM fog lamp was the same color as the headlight (it's just my OCD talking... please ignore LOL). Congrats BTW!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome from NJ!

Love the STI sedans. Very cool. Future plans? Is this a DD?
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Thank you everyone

Quote Originally Posted by ker2 View Post
    Congrats ...think your the first sti delivered still waiting on mine ....impatiently
    I was told mine is the first in the bay area, CA to get delivered. I had called and visited the dealership nonstop waiting for this to come in lol. It was a tough wait so I understand your pain. BUT worth it all to finally drive. Can't wait for you to get yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Welcome from NJ!

Love the STI sedans. Very cool. Future plans? Is this a DD?
    back from California. It wasn't going to be my DD but after a weekend of fun there's no way I can go back to driving a tc everyday. Maybe I'll drive her just to school and tc for work. No real future plans yet since I still have to check what is legal here. Mainly just want to get the fog lights,the sti short shifter and bushings before December. If you or anyone can give me their opinion on the subaru boost gauge it would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by rex360hype View Post
    Also wanted to get the fog lamp kit... Though I wish the OEM fog lamp was the same color as the headlight (it's just my OCD talking... please ignore LOL). Congrats BTW!
    Thank you but I'm a little angry with you. Never noticed the difference in color before but now that's all I see. SIGH. LOL but thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by sicflip View Post
    Thank you but I'm a little angry with you. Never noticed the difference in color before but now that's all I see. SIGH. LOL but thank you again
    Whoops... LOL, but it's good that you've been informed

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Looks good. Welcome!

If you don't like the stock throw of the shifter, replace the lever with a short throw unit. If you don't like the vagueness and rubbery feel of the shifter, replace the shifter bushings.

As far as short shifters go, if you want a shorter throw and you prefer the shifter height of the stock shifter, go with a SPT short throw shifter lever...save yourself some money and pick the lever up from someone who decided to replace their SPT short throw shifter lever for a Kartboy unit. If you buy a STS short shifter from the dealer, you'll pay for the whole assembly (which isn't any different than stock).

As far as shifter bushings go, Subaru sells a STI rear bushing (but not a STI front bushing), but it's also rubber just like the stock unit (albeit slightly firmer). Most people here replace both front and rear bushings with the Kartboy bushings.

You may not notice the vagueness early on (as the bushings are still somewhat firm), but give it a thousand miles or so, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

BTW, if you want fogs, my advice would be to buy the kit from Subaru and install it yourself. From what I see on youtube, it's not that hard. And you'll save on the dealer charge for the install (which won't be cheap).

Thank you! That was exactly what I needed to know. I was looking at cobb for a short throw shifter but I may just replace the bushings first and see how that feels. Thanks again!

Clarification: For STIs, the short shifter assembly does in fact have different linkages compared to the stock shifter. This is not the case with the WRX, where the shift throw is affected by the shifter lever. My last post that describes the differences between the stock and SPT short shifter is applicable to the WRX only.

Kartboy does sell a short shifter lever for STIs that works with either shifter setup. If used with the stock shifter linkages, it will reduce the shifter height and shorten the throws. If used with the short shifter linkages, it will reduce the shifter height and shorten the throws even more.

So, to recap: If you love the shift height and throw of the stock shifter, leave it alone. If you love the shift height and want a shorter throw from your shifter, get the STI short shifter assembly (lever and linkages). If you want the shift height lower and want a shorter throw, just replace the lever with the Kartboy short throw shifter lever. For STIs, it would be cheaper to simply replace the shifter lever with the Kartboy short throw lever, if you're starting from a stock STI shifter.

And yeah, change out the shifter bushings with kartboy bushings.
    Last edited by JimboWRX; 10-13-2013 at 06:38 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Welcome!
    Thank you. Love the complete murdered out look of your sti.