2013 WRX hatch

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX hatch within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased a 13 WRX hatch. I am new to the subie world and modding so I have done ...

2013 WRX hatch

I just purchased a 13 WRX hatch. I am new to the subie world and modding so I have done a lot of reading. My car is still stock but i would like to eventually do some mods. The more i read about what i should do the muddier it gets. So far i am thinking that the way to go is a turbo back exhaust with a pro tune. How much of a difference should i expect in HP and torque? Is it worthwhile? Will my brakes and suspension hold up? Will this make the car less reliable? Am i on the right track? What will this do to my mpg? I know that i have too many questions but PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats post a picture of your new ride! I am also a Subie newbie so I can't help out with the questions too much. I know for me I will start with cosmetic mods first and then work on some performance stuff. That will let me get used to the car and do a proper break in.

Congrats !I am a newbie too, but have browsed WRX forums for a while. My personal feel is

[1] Break in first 1000 miles
    [2] AP Stage 1 with exhaust and CAI ( maybe). Might be a 10% boost in HP/TQ
    [3] AP Stage2.. I have heard not to go beyond Stage 2in a rex and you could have issues with the tranny

Cobb tuning could improve mpg, but I plan to stick with SPT until warranty. After that...I might mod the heck out of it.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

I would grab some sway bars if I were you, inexpensive, easy to install, make a world of difference in handling.
    As far as gains go, here is what Cobb says you should expect with their Accessport and off the shelf tunes (a pro tune should yield better results)
    Stage1 Peak gains-6.5%hp 15.2%tq
    Stage1 Max gains-12.3%hp 21.2%tq

Stage2 Peak Gains-21.4%hp 22.9%tq
    Stage2 Max Gains-30.8%hp 30.6%tq

Quote Originally Posted by KOUPATROOPA View Post
    I would grab some sway bars if I were you, inexpensive, easy to install, make a world of difference in handling.
    Stage2 Max Gains-30.8%hp 30.6%tq
    +1 on that. and the endlinks while you are at it.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

I Support ClubWRX
    Congratulations I am also a 2013hatch owner. Nothing to serious as far as mods for me yet but plan to change shifter and bushings very soon I have the short throw shifter (factory installed - still sloppy tho). I am looking at either the Cobb or kartboy (any recommendations in either is also appreciated). I am in texas - a state that requires front plates so I did the relocate kit and front plate delete.

I plan to do a catback, stage 2 in the months to come.

My only complaint is the hill assist, if there was a way I would eliminate this feature!

Best of luck to you and your new obsession.

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphzaida View Post
    I just purchased a 13 WRX hatch. I am new to the subie world and modding so I have done a lot of reading. My car is still stock but i would like to eventually do some mods. The more i read about what i should do the muddier it gets. So far i am thinking that the way to go is a turbo back exhaust with a pro tune. How much of a difference should i expect in HP and torque? Is it worthwhile? Will my brakes and suspension hold up? Will this make the car less reliable? Am i on the right track? What will this do to my mpg? I know that i have too many questions but PLEASE HELP!!!
    If you want reliability, DO NOT mod your car. Also, you're risking warranty claim denials from SOA, especially if the mod involves a tune (BTW, downpipes, intakes, and turbobacks all require a tune). Just because your dealer is mod friendly, it doesn't matter...SOA makes the final call.

If you want reliability and maintain your warranty coverage, stick with safe mods (like a catback or short shifter).

Bottom line: If you wanna play, you have to pay. Do not expect SOA to step in when something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    Congratulations I am also a 2013hatch owner. Nothing to serious as far as mods for me yet but plan to change shifter and bushings very soon I have the short throw shifter (factory installed - still sloppy tho). I am looking at either the Cobb or kartboy (any recommendations in either is also appreciated). I am in texas - a state that requires front plates so I did the relocate kit and front plate delete.

I plan to do a catback, stage 2 in the months to come.

My only complaint is the hill assist, if there was a way I would eliminate this feature!

Best of luck to you and your new obsession.

~ jtk07~
    If you have the SPT short shifter, are you satisfied with the shifter height? If so, stick with the shifter. If you prefer a lower shifter height, go with the Kartboy short shifter. In either case, replace the OEM front and rear shifter bushings with Kartboy bushings. The OEM bushings are soft rubber and are responsible for the sloppy feel. Replacing them will take the rubbery and vague feel out of the shifter. It's like night and day.

BTW, unless you're driving an STI, there's no way to disable the hill assist. Most of us just got used to it and know how to shift around it. I don't even realize it's there most of the time.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    If you have the SPT short shifter, are you satisfied with the shifter height? If so, stick with the shifter. If you prefer a lower shifter height, go with the Kartboy short shifter. In either case, replace the OEM front and rear shifter bushings with Kartboy bushings. The OEM bushings are soft rubber and are responsible for the sloppy feel. Replacing them will take the rubbery and vague feel out of the shifter. It's like night and day.

BTW, unless you're driving an STI, there's no way to disable the hill assist. Most of us just got used to it and know how to shift around it. I don't even realize it's there most of the time.
    I have the spt and honestly after buying my car with it I have no idea how people drive the stock one if its worse than this.

I know kartboy makes a decent product but not sure how it stacks up against Cobb? Does anyone have the COBB?

~ jtk07~

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    I have the spt and honestly after buying my car with it I have no idea how people drive the stock one if its worse than this.

I know kartboy makes a decent product but not sure how it stacks up against Cobb? Does anyone have the COBB?

~ jtk07~
    The differences: The stock shifter has a slightly longer throw than the SPT short shifter. The shifter height is not much different with the SPT short shifter being a hair shorter. The shifter feel is only slightly better if the SPT short throw has the STI shifter bushings installed because they're slightly stiffer than stock (but still made of rubber). If the STP short throw shifter uses stock bushings, the shifter will feel rubbery and vague just like the stock shifter.

Until you switch the shifter bushings out with the Kartboy or comparable bushing, you won't realize how much better your shifts will feel.

BTW, Kartboy seems to be the most popular for short shifters amongst enthusiasts. Very few actually go with the Cobb.

Same goes for the shifter bushings...

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you for the advice,
    I apologize for the thread jack!

~ jtk07~

Thanks a lot guys for the pointers.