thinking of getting a new sti
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on thinking of getting a new sti within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, currently i have an 07 chevy cobalt SS (supercharged) as my daily driver. even with snow tires and ...

Hi all, currently i have an 07 chevy cobalt SS (supercharged) as my daily driver. even with snow tires and wheels on, this car is not that great in the snow plus it has over 100k miles so i'm bored lol. I am currently looking at a 2013 wrx sti to replace as my daily driver. just starting my research ~ any tips or opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What are you looking for out of the car? Are you going to take it to the track, or simply a dd to get you from point A to point B? Plan on modding?

it will replace my cobalt as my daily driver. it's attractive to me bc of the turbo and all wheel drive lol. I plan on doing basic mods to keep it unique to me, but nothing too crazy. this will also be my first turbo'ed patform. I have a G35 that sucked up most of my mod money lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I love having my STI as a DD. But people will tell you to get the WRX over the STI as a DD, and I don't really have much to argue against them.

Only thing I can say is I love the STi and I never regret getting it instead of the wrx.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I love having my STI as a DD. But people will tell you to get the WRX over the STI as a DD, and I don't really have much to argue against them.
    That's basically where i was heading with those questions. If you don't plan on doing serious modding, there isn't much of a need for the "better" tranny, and if not tracking the car no need for the fancy DCCD & SI drive systems. That's just my opinion though.

Some things to consider:
    You'll still need a set of winters. The wrx & sti come with summers and everyone on this site will tell you that the stock tires are terrible in wet or snowy conditions. 16" wheels will fit on a wrx. An sti will need either 17s or 18s to clear the brakes.
    sti will also have higher insurance premiums.
    Don't take this as me trying to change your mind.. Just giving some info. Both are great cars, and if laying out a few extra grand for the sti isn't an issue.. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you want a DD, buy a beater. It is beyond me why people buy nice cars for something to beat up.

Ok well being that i DD my STi here is my opnion on buying a beater. I dont want to waste the money on insurance, or maintenance on a POS that i wouldn't enjoy driving to begin with. The extra money i have goes towards my STi. I didn't buy AWD to not use AWD. All cars will have wear and tear, i also understand what salt and snow does to metal. Honestly though if your going to buy a rally car and garage it in the winter. WHAT IS THE POINT? Seeing that Subaru's are reliable unless your name is Drew, this is not a problem other then a set of extra winter wheels and tires.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    If you want a DD, buy a beater. It is beyond me why people buy nice cars for something to beat up.
    Why would you spend $25k+ and NOT drive it? I DD an E90 M3 and love every second of it.

Quote Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
    Why would you spend $25k+ and NOT drive it? I DD an E90 M3 and love every second of it.
    Exactly I don't care what it is. If I had a GT-R or viper you can guarantee I would be driving those as much as I could. Now maybe in winter I would drive something else, but with the WRX that is part of the perks in being able to drive it all year around.

Agreed. I actually like my M better in the snow than my A4 Avant or my ex-wife's Wrangler. By a pretty wide margins at that. Also, only having 6 parts that can even rust makes it even easier to justify driving an M3 year round.

That said, I'm seriously considering a WRX or STI. There are some places I just don't want to drive the M.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
    Because you can spend less than 2k on a great DD.

Quote Originally Posted by DiRty Impreza View Post
    Ok well being that i DD my STi here is my opnion on buying a beater. I dont want to waste the money on insurance, or maintenance on a POS that i wouldn't enjoy driving to begin with. The extra money i have goes towards my STi. I didn't buy AWD to not use AWD. All cars will have wear and tear, i also understand what salt and snow does to metal. Honestly though if your going to buy a rally car and garage it in the winter. WHAT IS THE POINT? Seeing that Subaru's are reliable unless your name is Drew, this is not a problem other then a set of extra winter wheels and tires.
    Are you retarded? I DD an OBS that my wife and I share when I work nights. It keeps the miles off the nice cars, is paid for, takes 87, is cheap on insurance and maintenance....yeah...I'm the one that made the poor choice. Great post, god bless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by quality_sound
    Why would you spend $25k+ and NOT drive it?
    Because you can...keep the fun car for fun drives, drive a more bland vehicle on the work commute.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

That dude bought a rally car...

I had a jetta as a DD, then I had a cobalt. Until my wife totaled her scion. Now she has the cobalt and I just drive my wrx everywhere. Oh well.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Because you can spend less than 2k on a great DD.

Are you retarded? I DD an OBS that my wife and I share when I work nights. It keeps the miles off the nice cars, is paid for, takes 87, is cheap on insurance and maintenance....yeah...I'm the one that made the poor choice. Great post, god bless.
    No matter how you justify it, it's still additional cost for the second car and your primary is still going to depreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Because you can...keep the fun car for fun drives, drive a more bland vehicle on the work commute.
    Which again begs the question, why? If you don't actually want to drive the nice car, why even buy it? It would be a LOT less expensive to just rent something nice when you feel it's justified. It's like buying a big screen but using your laptop most of the time to save wear and tear on the big screen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.