thinking of getting a new sti - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on thinking of getting a new sti within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by quality_sound No matter how you justify it, it's still additional cost for the second car and your ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
    No matter how you justify it, it's still additional cost for the second car and your primary is still going to depreciate.
    :derp: Really? Hence why you buy something cheap with cash that requires little maintenance instead of a brand new car that's going to decrease in value significantly more than something you pay 1500 bucks for. But hey, it's your money...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registration fees, insurance, and having more than one car to get inspected and decaled for street parking every year sounds like a PITA. All depends on your situation.

Edit; Oh, and DC registration for vehicles is through the roof....you'd be looking at dropping $500 a year just to have 2 cars on the street.
    Last edited by degobah77; 10-08-2013 at 06:44 AM.

I want to find an 02 wrx for my beater....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    :derp: Really? Hence why you buy something cheap with cash that requires little maintenance instead of a brand new car that's going to decrease in value significantly more than something you pay 1500 bucks for. But hey, it's your money...
    Look at how many miles you put on your beater. Now look at the used car values on your garage queen with the miles it has on it. Now look again with the beater miles added on. How big a difference is it? Now add in licensing, insurance, has, maintenance, tags, gas, etc. What's the difference now? I've done the math, with a few of my cars. A beater Either never saves any money at all, or the savings is so small as to be a non-factor. We're not talking about a '61 Ferrari here. We're talking about a Subaru. I promise you that whatever difference you save in mileage isn't going to keep the resale value high enough to justify a beater.

I am curious, how many times a month do you drive your "nice" car? Instead of a car payment, why not save all that money (note, insurance, registration, etc) and rent a Porsche instead? I'll bet it's less expensive.

I Support ClubWRX
    Look at how many miles you put on your beater. Now look at the used car values on your garage queen with the miles it has on it. Now look again with the beater miles added on. How big a difference is it? Now add in licensing, insurance, has, maintenance, tags, gas, etc. What's the difference now? I've done the math, with a few of my cars. A beater Either never saves any money at all, or the savings is so small as to be a non-factor. We're not talking about a '61 Ferrari here. We're talking about a Subaru. I promise you that whatever difference you save in mileage isn't going to keep the resale value high enough to justify a beater.

I am curious, how many times a month do you drive your "nice" car? Instead of a car payment, why not save all that money (note, insurance, registration, etc) and rent a Porsche instead? I'll bet it's less expensive.
    First of all, you're assuming I buy cars with the sole intention to resell them, or even give a crap about resale value. If you're wondering whether or not I care, I don't. My general mindset on cars is that I drive them until the doors fall off. Any other mindset is a waste of money.

You must be horrible at math. You are aware that $1500 < $25,000 right? Assuming that I have to spend 1k on maintenance taxes and tags to make it road worthy, I'm still $22,500 ahead of someone who spends $25k on a DD. Ok, now that we have simple math out of the way, let's get some facts straight. I never said I have a garage queen. I said my wife and I share a beater when I work nights since our schedule is flipped. Regardless, the LGT is far more expensive to operate on a month to month basis than the OBS. On top of that, let's go over what I WAS using as a DD; A GMC 2500HD. 13mpg average and it takes premium. I was getting annoyed filling it up with gas because every time I did, I'd have to run my card twice because the pump would shut off after $100. Even with the added insurance, tags, and all the other expenses that my beater incurs, it still costs less than my monthly gas bill alone if I DD my truck. So yes it does save money.

My wife DDs the "nice" car, an LGT, 8 months out of the year. It's also paid for.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

First of all, you're assuming I buy cars with the sole intention to resell them, or even give a crap about resale value. If you're wondering whether or not I care, I don't. My general mindset on cars is that I drive them until the doors fall off. Any other mindset is a waste of money.

You must be horrible at math. You are aware that $1500 < $25,000 right? Assuming that I have to spend 1k on maintenance taxes and tags to make it road worthy, I'm still $22,500 ahead of someone who spends $25k on a DD. Ok, now that we have simple math out of the way, let's get some facts straight. I never said I have a garage queen. I said my wife and I share a beater when I work nights since our schedule is flipped. Regardless, the LGT is far more expensive to operate on a month to month basis than the OBS. On top of that, let's go over what I WAS using as a DD; A GMC 2500HD. 13mpg average and it takes premium. I was getting annoyed filling it up with gas because every time I did, I'd have to run my card twice because the pump would shut off after $100. Even with the added insurance, tags, and all the other expenses that my beater incurs, it still costs less than my monthly gas bill alone if I DD my truck. So yes it does save money.

My wife DDs the "nice" car, an LGT, 8 months out of the year. It's also paid for.
    Then why are you telling someone else what to daily? You're COMPLETELY missing the point of the discussion which is not to have a beater AND an STI in the garage. If you CHOOSE to drive nothing but a beater, more power to you. But telling someone to turn their car into a garage queen then argue the economics of owning a beater while you yourself aren't even doing that is just plain silly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Then why are you telling someone else what to daily? You're COMPLETELY missing the point of the discussion which is not to have a beater AND an STI in the garage. If you CHOOSE to drive nothing but a beater, more power to you. But telling someone to turn their car into a garage queen then argue the economics of owning a beater while you yourself aren't even doing that is just plain silly.
    Apparently logic is over your head. My beater IS my DD. Why spend $25k on a DD when you can DD a $1500 beater?

Ahhhhhh!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I just came in here to get away from the GOP vs DEMS arguments concerning the gov't shutdown and I gotta read this crap?! You all have valid points! Now let's move on. To each their own!

My opinion to the OP...buy a WRX, enjoy it as a DD. You don't need an STi. Keep your Cobalt and mod the crap out of it until it blows up. My buddy has one doing 1/4 miles in high 11's. No, I'm not kidding. It's hilarious. If you still have the G35 (I have a G37), keep that too. They last forever. PLPD the older cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I just came in here to get away from the GOP vs DEMS arguments concerning the gov't shutdown and I gotta read this crap?! You all have valid points! Now let's move on. To each their own!

My opinion to the OP...buy a WRX, enjoy it as a DD. You don't need an STi. Keep your Cobalt and mod the crap out of it until it blows up. My buddy has one doing 1/4 miles in high 11's. No, I'm not kidding. It's hilarious. If you still have the G35 (I have a G37), keep that too. They last forever. PLPD the older cars.
    EgqnRyp.gif Photo by Cristian619 | Photobucket

That was useful.

Quote Originally Posted by DJForged View Post
    Hi all, currently i have an 07 chevy cobalt SS (supercharged) as my daily driver. even with snow tires and wheels on, this car is not that great in the snow plus it has over 100k miles so i'm bored lol. I am currently looking at a 2013 wrx sti to replace as my daily driver. just starting my research ~ any tips or opinions?
    My opinion to you is buy the sti ...why ?? Because you want one if you can afford it why not .... I purchased a 2014 sti still waiting on it but I can afford it so why not

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

Because you can spend less than 2k on a great DD.

Are you retarded? I DD an OBS that my wife and I share when I work nights. It keeps the miles off the nice cars, is paid for, takes 87, is cheap on insurance and maintenance....yeah...I'm the one that made the poor choice. Great post, god bless.
    Retarded huh? Are you immature? Think so- I did not buy this car for an investment. I bought it for a hobby. So Im going to use it, and not be afraid to put Miles on it.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRty Impreza View Post
    Retarded huh? Are you immature? Think so- I did not buy this car for an investment. I bought it for a hobby. So Im going to use it, and not be afraid to put Miles on it.
    Inquisitive Sloth - Imgur

So, yes, you are. When did I ever say I was afraid to put miles on my car?

Inquisitive Sloth - Imgur

So, yes, you are. When did I ever say I was afraid to put miles on my car?
    That hurts drews
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast