Just brought a 2010 WRX and have a question

This is a discussion on Just brought a 2010 WRX and have a question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just brought a 2010 WRX and I was wondering if anyone had some info I have done a lot ...

Just brought a 2010 WRX and have a question

I just brought a 2010 WRX and I was wondering if anyone had some info I have done a lot of research and that was the first year they went to 2 pipes. The car just does not have that distinct sound. It is more of subdue sound. The car runs great and is a straight up bullet so performance is not hindered in any kind of way. I was wondering why it does not have the very loud rumble and I was hoping someone might have some answers to why and if there was a way to get that rumble. I am a very proud owner and if anyone has any advise I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Roadster20th

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok, well we need some more info about your car. Has it been modded what so ever? or is it bone stock? Also, some other useful information is if it is a hatchback or sedan. But I am going to guess you have a sedan by the "2 pipes" comment. If your car is indeed bone stock then the reason you have a much more subtle exhaust note is simple.

Stock exhaust systems use a series of large catalytic converters and resignators for emissions and smog purposes. To get that "boxer rumble" you can do so by simply adding a catback exhaust. Now catbacks will not do much for you in the performance or power gainer end, but more so just for looks and sound. For a louder, deeper boxer rumble over the catback, add a aftermarket downpipe to make it a turbo back exhaust. PLEASE NOTE, if you go turbo back exhaust with your car, you will need a tune. Go to cobbtuning.com, their accessport is the most common and safest ways to tune your subaru, and probably the most common in the subaru community.

Hope this answers your question. AND POST SOME PICS!!!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    The 2010 was pre-wide body. It still had the single tip dual outlet. In 2011 they came with double tip dual outlet (quad tip). That exhaust is louder. If you want the louder rumble you need to get a different axleback.

For more exhaust FAQ go here...Exhaust FAQ

The stock exhaust on my 2005 wrx is quite subdued as well- the drive train whine is much louder than exhaust sounds. I expect that this was an intentional design, and that most other year models of the wrx are similar. I have heard some of the aftermarket exhausts as they drive past. It always makes me smile.
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    The 2010 was pre-wide body. It still had the single tip dual outlet. In 2011 they came with double tip dual outlet (quad tip). That exhaust is louder. If you want the louder rumble you need to get a different axleback.

For more exhaust FAQ go here...Exhaust FAQ
    Yup, you are correct. But, what does he mean by 2 pipes? Lol. Does he mean 2 pipes side by side on each side? (11+ quad tip), or 2 single pipes, one on each side? And i didnt even think about just an axleback. That too!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

single pipe each side pretty much barebones stock from there sedan model