WRx 13 $5,000 modding budget (need your comments/ input)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRx 13 ,000 modding budget (need your comments/ input) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! I currently have a 2013 Subaru WRX sedan. love the car, but I am interested in getting more ...

WRx 13 $5,000 modding budget (need your comments/ input)

Hey everyone! I currently have a 2013 Subaru WRX sedan. love the car, but I am interested in getting more out of it like a majority of people. Kind of like addicting after you start!

I currently have a:
    Cobb access port
    cobb downpipe
    Cobb intake
    SPT exhaust
    Grim speed Heat shield

I have about a $4000-$5000 budget I can spend on more modifications. Im not sure on brands and or what I really should be buying either. im also nervous to jump at it solo considering I get told all the time I shouldn't of got the SPT exhaust... SO I could use your input and comments about what my build should be...

Itd be nice to get around 350-400 whp if possible with the limited funds. That's kind of a personal goal id like to see.

Please comment im interested to see what would everyone else do!
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    You could probably do 300whp with a good protune $500, larger injectors $500, pump $150, and intercooler $1000. You might enjoy better tires $1000, a good spring/strut combo $1-2k, whiteline sway bars and endlinks $600, and poly bushings for the suspension. That would finish of the few thousand you have left.

If you buy used you could save a lot of money and get a lot more.

Now you're left with a more balanced car, power+suspension improvements.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Save it.

I'm going to offer two suggestions. You're probably not going to like themL

Take that $5k and use it as your starting funds for your engine rebuild savings. Honestly at 350-400whp it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN your engine spins a rod, cracks a ringland, etc. And even at that point, unless you can do the engine build/swap yourself you're looking at something around ~9k for a quality built and installed engine. Above 350wtq the oem clutch won't hold at WOT, so that's easily at least another 1k for a stronger organic clutch. And unfortunately, once you go to a stronger clutch and/or above 400 wtq the trans is a ticking time bomb in the hands of a GOOD driver. Not saying you can't drive well, but not many people can shift smoothly and safely while running through the gears. And once the trans goes you're looking at ~4.5k just for a decent gear set (PAR or PPG) not including rebuilding it. so lets say at least ~6k.

Total: rebuilt engine: $9000 stronger clutch installed: $1000 Rebuilt trans: $6000

So call it $16,000, not including the additional mods that it would take you to get to 350-400whp i'll lay those out below.

On 93 octane:
    Equal Length Headers: ~850
    New BOV: ~180
    EBCS: ~110
    DW65c pump: ~149
    ID 1000cc injectors: ~480 (yeah you could go smaller, but these perform awesome, scale down nicely and give you lower idc's and flexibility in the future)
    TMIC: ~900 (process west is the only choice at this level)
    Protune: ~400

Total: $3069 without labor

Total with labor: can't really tell, low balling it ~ $3700ish

Total for errything: close to $20k give or take certain mods, labor, part choices, etc.

OR

be overly cautious, buy safety net mods (fuel pump, injectors, etc), aim for ~300whp, tune for 91 octane and run 93 octane, and treat the car real nice while saving for what could happen

EDIT: just saw it says its a '13. with all that said. assuming you have a loan on it, pay off the loan
    Last edited by WREXXY; 09-30-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: saw it's a '13

Sway Bars. Fuel Pump. Intercooler. EBCS. Protune

Well, like others said, at that target power, your transmission and clutch will be indeed a ticking time bomb. If you are dead set with spending your 5k on mods, which it already sounds like you are, then you can get a nice power increase and some still be safe. (note, this will not get you to the 400whp mark)

Power mods:
    EL headers - $900-1000
    uppipe for ewg - $300-400
    tial 38mm wastegate - $250-300
    bigger/better flowing turbo inlet - $200-300
    grimmspeed ebcs -$120.00
    750cc or bigger injectors - $500-800 (depending on brand and cc)
    bigger fuel pump (i prefer walbro 255LpH) - $90
    intercooler (process west is one of the better ones) - $900-1000
    protune from reputible subaru tuner on 93 octane (if e85 is available in your area, get it tuned on that, it will increase your power a nice amount over 91 or 93) - $350-650 depending on tuner

With these power mods you will be looking at roughly 300-325whp, and around 350+ wtrq (estimated) and you are looking at $4200.00 without labor. Now, if you are mechanically inclined you could pretty much do all of this except for the tune yourself with a case of beer, a day or two, and a friend willing to help.

Handeling:
    Nice set of coilovers or nice spring and strut - $800-1500
    sway bars - about $500 for the pair (front and rear)
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    coilovers wheels and tires.

i would cap your power mods until you extra money saved up for possible engine blow up like the others have stated.
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.