Which Gauge Cluster?

This is a discussion on Which Gauge Cluster? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, While I am awaiting the arrival of my 2014 WRX I already caught the mod bug. I am ...

Registered User DirtRoadPunisher's Avatar

Which Gauge Cluster?

Hey guys,
    While I am awaiting the arrival of my 2014 WRX I already caught the mod bug.
    I am going to be adding a few gauges once I get the car. Definitely adding a Boost Gauge and am deciding on the others (Oil pressure, Oil temp, Volts, EGT, etc).
    I'm also a huge fan of the A-Pillar gauge clusters (2008 - 2013 Subaru WRX Subaru STI A Piller Gauge Pods)
    However, I am very concerned about the side air bag deployment. Will it interfere? and will everything break if deployed?
    I also saw the SMY clusters (SMY ClusterMaker Dual Gauge Pod 52mm Subaru WRX / STI 2008-2014 / Forester XT 2009-2013 SMYCLSTR1 at RallySportDirect.com)
    Maybe do 2 on A-Pillar and 2 in the SMY cluster. But these gauges are expensive! so maybe 2 for now and 2 later. so which gauges are most important.

So here's my questions:
    Which gauges do you recommend? and what brand (Defi, ProSport)? and what size (52mm or 60mm)?
    Which gauge cluster (SMY, JCS, Perrin)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    - Joe
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
    Soon: 2014 Subaru WRX Limited Hatch DGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i personally have 52mm defi's on my 06 and love them. they are very clear and precise. i had prosports prior and they all broke within a year. (they are very hit or miss. some people have no issues w/ them and some people do)

i'm not a huge fan of pillar mounts. i'd go with the SMY

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Will a dealer give you any trouble with warranty stuff if you add the A-Pillar and aftermarket gauges? I know that they could only deny warranty to related parts so what parts "could" they possibly deny.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    Will a dealer give you any trouble with warranty stuff if you add the A-Pillar and aftermarket gauges? I know that they could only deny warranty to related parts so what parts "could" they possibly deny.

Depends on the gauge.. I can think of a few scenarios where a dealer would be well within their rights to deny a warranty claim. For instance, say you have an oil pressure gauge, and the fitting for the sending unit breaks, all your oil dumps out, and the engine seizes. If I were Subaru I would deny that claim because it was something you did that lead directly to the failure.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I would say get the ATI center pod or SMY pod. A-pillar pods are kinda hard to read and deal with. Or make your own if you're handy with fiber glass.

Defi, Greddy, Maddad make great gauges. Those will be your top dollar gauges with the most features, accuracy, and dependability.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not go with an ATI center pod. Personally I dont feel there has been a nice aftermarket gauge pod for the center area unless you get some custom work done so that it fits the dash better. For now I have an SMY cluster with prosport oil pressure and boost gauges. I did miss having voltage and other info from my previous car so I ended up getting a UltraGauge it plugs into the OBDII port. Once I have the need for more gauges my choice would be Windshield Dual Gauge Pod 2008+ WRX/STI - Gauge Mounting Solutions
    I know that it is not the best solution to constantly monitor since you have to look away from the road but I keeps the inside looking cleaner then the triple pod
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX